Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help building AR 15 $1,700 Budget !

AznDragon533

JP's cheapest fire control upgrade is the trigger, diconnector, and springs. Use standard hammer, set take up and over travel and fit safety engagement. It is kind of a PITA but when your finished it is an excellent single stage, using the standard hammer and the 3.5# springs will ignite all primers. I saw a link here where you can get one for $116 plus shipping. It is so easy to improve over stock GI without paying an arm and a leg. Of course the majority of my time is spent shooting Glocks so any light single stage feels wonderous to me.

IMHO your kind of building your rifle backwards, I would suggest starting with the real important stuff, like the barrel and recievers. I just dont see a $75 charging handle being a priority.

1) Length and weight of rifle, accuracy expectations, now choose barrel and gas block.

2) Get some decent upper and lowers.

3) Standard Mil-Spec bolt and carrier group, with extra powered extractor. If you think you have the money you can get a LMOS, another good thing is barrels that come with matching bolts, keep that in mind but not a show stopper.

3) Buy the GI upper and lower parts kits (usually cheaper this way even if you change parts).

4) Pick a trigger (You can get a good JP single stage for $130 plus shipping, it will not slow you down).

5) Pick a handguard (Free float if shooting past 100 yards). You can get free float for less than a $100.

6) Sights (iron or scope)

7) Now if the budget starts getting tight the standard A2 stock works quite well and a lot of the top shooters use it. Buffer springs depending on gas system length. But pick a stock.

8) Don't overlook the grip, if you have big hand you will not like the standard A2 grip, it is quite small, suggest the magpul MIAD or the Ergo.

Barrell will be the biggest factor in terms of accuracy, handling, and weight.

After all that writing, the Loki 3 gun rifle looks awesome for the money.

I know your budget is a little tight with including an optic, but don't short yourself on glass. A $2,000 dollar rifle with a $300 scope is a $300 dollar system, or so the saying goes.

The great thing about the AR is that it is an awesome system for upgrading yourself. So if you can't afford a certain part now, get something to fill the bill for a while untill you can get what you want. But all the coolest goodies in the world wont replace tons of ammunition down range in practice

Excellent post, excellent advice from where I sit.

I'm quite curious, and even a bit nervous... Where did you find a JP single stage for $130??? I am thinking perhaps I way over paid for mine!!!

TAR

clicky

It's not the easy trigger though. Requires fitting.

Wow, that's a great buy, would have saved me some coin! Too bad I didn't see that a month ago, but such is life. When I was in high school we use to drive up coast to try and surf (Florida), we always heard, "You should have been here yesterday!" Guess the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Thanks,

TAR

i just finished a build that i think came out around there, im a little afraid to tally it up.

ranier arms matched upper and lower

gieselle 3g trigger

ranier arms spr 18in barrel

a2 stock

vtac jp handguard

burris m-tac scope

adm recon-x mount

young manufacturing light bcg

light buffer

larue gas block

surefire k compensator

i picked up the gas block, stock, and handguard all used which saved me a bunch of money.

Edited by countryboy223

I have built a couple of SUPERMATCH rifles, and sell them locally. See parts list in my add...using "top quality" parts add up quickly, but they are definitely worth every penny.

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/346246/

Looks like a very nice rifle and could be the answer to your search ANZ

BCM bcg is my recomendation. I do agree with alot of the guys though, loki would be a great way for you to go. i own a loki and a stag 3g and love my loki. i paid 1800 total for mine but it was set up for everything i needed it to do.

I have built a couple of SUPERMATCH rifles, and sell them locally. See parts list in my add...using "top quality" parts add up quickly, but they are definetely worth every penny.

I looked at the specs on this and it looks OK but I would skip the RRA 2 stage match trigger. I've had one and it's not that good. You would be better off with a stock trigger and JP yellow springs. Also bear in mind that you will probably have a higher resale value from a big name company built gun. Many options were listed in previous posts will more that fill your needs.

Doug

I have built a couple of SUPERMATCH rifles, and sell them locally. See parts list in my add...using "top quality" parts add up quickly, but they are definetely worth every penny.

I looked at the specs on this and it looks OK but I would skip the RRA 2 stage match trigger. I've had one and it's not that good. You would be better off with a stock trigger and JP yellow springs. Also bear in mind that you will probably have a higher resale value from a big name company built gun. Many options were listed in previous posts will more that fill your needs.

Doug

Good point. Only 2 stage I ever shot rapidly ended any ambition I would ever have to shoot another. They are likely good for some other venue, but I don't think I would ever care for one for anything.

Problem I see with the stock trigger is that the ramp on the hammer is too deep, leading to a long trigger pull. The weight can be adjusted with springs and polishing the mating surfaces, but I am wondering if the length of pull couldn't be adjusted by shortening the ramp.