Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help building AR 15 $1,700 Budget !

AznDragon533

Hello, I want to start getting into some 3 gun competitions and is looking for some guidance on a light weight Ar 15 built, tactical division 5.56/223

Budget $1700

here are some items I know I want:

Scope: Burris Fullfield MTAC30 $400

Scope Lever: MGM Switchview Lever to the scope $50

Scope Mount: Burris P.E.P.R. (Proper Eye Position Ready) AR15 Scope Mount $75

Iron Sights on the side: Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sighting System $90

Trigger: AR Gold $275

Charging Handle: TacOps-1 Charging handle $75

Buttstock: ACE Skeleton Buttstock $90

Safety Switch: DPMS Oversized Safety Selector Switch $30

Compensator: Miculek Compensator $40

total: $1125

thats $575 left.....:(

Need suggestions on

1. Bolt Carrier Assembly ? brand/price

2. Lower Stripped receiver ? brand/price

3. Lower receiver parts kit ? brand/price

4. Barrel ? brand/price

5. Upper Receiver Assembly ? brand/price

6. Light weight handguard ? brand/price

7. Gas Block ? brand/price

8. Other Accessories ? brand/price

:surprise:

Edited by AznDragon533

Have you considered the Stag Arms 3G or the Loki 3G rifle? they are both around $1300 bucks, the Stag has an awesome trigger and the Dueck sites are available installed from Stag for a few bucks more...but if you have a $1700 budget and only have $575 left for the actual rifle....I dont see how it's gonna happen. But nobody ever said I was the sharpest tack in the drawer..

Disclaimer: I own a Stag 3G and love it except for the compensator...

Hello, I want to start getting into some 3 gun competitions and is looking for some guidance on a light weight Ar 15 built, tactical division 5.56/223

Budget $1700

Need suggestions on

4. Barrel ? brand/price

Not sure how much the DPMS rifle is either but that should fit well below budget as well. Or a keep an eye on the classifieds here. Dont overthink it.

Edit that I didnt see that budget included glass. Still think you can find a deal without building one.

Edited by Kent Grewe

I would save up more and wait or change my tactics. Buying or building a budget rifle for $600 is just going to be a pain. You're going to see the shortcomings in the rifle pretty quickly and end up losing more money upgrading the parts or not have a functioning, reliable rifle. If you insist on your list being put into the gun as soon as you build it I'd just focus on another aspect of the game and slowly save up the money for your rifle.

That is if you're set on what you have in your 'want list' from the start. If I had $1,700 to spend on a rifle I would probably build the rifle first, or have it built if you can't, and upgrade the small parts as I go. For instance:

Loki's most basic 3 gun rifle options: $1249

Your scope and mount: $475

Total: $1724

You're started just over budget, but you have enough sans ammo to get used to the rifle and start working on basic skills. From there I would start looking at your want list and putting parts in as I go. First, brake and trigger, then the other parts that won't really improve function as much.

Hope that helps some,

CM

I would drop the irons, you'll already have a 1x scope. Id probably also drop the $300 trigger, pick something up used or maybe even off a prize table and use that. Dropping those 2 frees up almost $400 to add to your rifle budget.

Id look pretty hard at the loki or stag or dpms competition rifles. They are pretty complete for the money.

Budget $1700

Need suggestions on

4. Barrel ? brand/price

I'm not sure where you can get the Dueck sights for $90 as stated in your OP. They run about $238. I agree with the other posts above, check out a Stag 3G $1250, DPMS 3G1 $1050, Loki Weapons Sys $1250 starting, Burris MTAC $400, PEPR mount $70 ($90 for QD) and that'll put you a little above $1700. And change what doesn't fit for you.

Would this be your first AR or do you already have an AR? If you already have an AR, shoot it in a couple local 3 gun matches and figure out what fits you. You can ask to try out other competitors guns, usually everyone is excited to tell you about their rifle. Especially if you want the Dueck sights, try shooting with them, some people just don't like shooting with the rifle canted like that, others shoot it fine. The MTAC has a pretty close to 1x perfect for hoser stages. I started with the first AR I built, a 16" mid-length and shot it alot and figure out what worked for me.

But to answer your question, the cheapest lower I've found is Palmetto State Armory, $79 but occasionally goes on sale for $49.

For the barrel, I've heard excellent things about the Loki Weapons Sys 18" stainless $319 but probably best to get a whole upper but that'll put you over budget already. It's $720 for the Loki 3 gun upper and I think $600 for the Stag 3G upper.

Don't forget ammo, lots and lots of ammo. Or reloading components.

Budget $1700

Need suggestions on

4. Barrel ? brand/price

I'm not sure where you can get the Dueck sights for $90 as stated in your OP. They run about $238. I agree with the other posts above, check out a Stag 3G $1250, DPMS 3G1 $1050, Loki Weapons Sys $1250 starting, Burris MTAC $400, PEPR mount $70 ($90 for QD) and that'll put you a little above $1700. And change what doesn't fit for you.

Would this be your first AR or do you already have an AR? If you already have an AR, shoot it in a couple local 3 gun matches and figure out what fits you. You can ask to try out other competitors guns, usually everyone is excited to tell you about their rifle. Especially if you want the Dueck sights, try shooting with them, some people just don't like shooting with the rifle canted like that, others shoot it fine. The MTAC has a pretty close to 1x perfect for hoser stages. I started with the first AR I built, a 16" mid-length and shot it alot and figure out what worked for me.

But to answer your question, the cheapest lower I've found is Palmetto State Armory, $79 but occasionally goes on sale for $49.

For the barrel, I've heard excellent things about the Loki Weapons Sys 18" stainless $319 but probably best to get a whole upper but that'll put you over budget already. It's $720 for the Loki 3 gun upper and I think $600 for the Stag 3G upper.

Don't forget ammo, lots and lots of ammo. Or reloading components.

you're right Dueck sights is $90 for front only =(, didnt see that..

now im looking more into the Stag arms 3g...apparently theres a widespread complain about the compensator though..

Consider the Nordic barrels to save done money and still get quality.

Having just completed a build that is darn close to your budget, I'll try to do a real tally to see if it was close and helps.

edit: my budget will not help... i shouldn't have added it all up...

Edited by splitime

Don't worry about the Stag comp, get the rifle, shoot it, see how you like it. Once you have some experience with it, then decide what to change. My rifle is a whole lot better than I am. Ammo and practice will do more for you than buying parts. Shoot in near dark, turn your gun a odd angles and learn where it hits, and then go practice even more loading your shotgun. And start working on learning how to break down a stage and the get the ability to remember what is the most efficient way to shoot stages. That ability makes more of a difference in your time than anything else. I find that the stages I spend all my time focusing on the stage while waiting to shoot, planning my "path" and reloads instead of chatting with other shooters are the ones I do better on. If I think it looks simple and I don't need to think about it, I end up blowing it. 3-Gun is as much a mental game as it is a gear game.

Like everybody else said, drop the Dueck, get a McCormick trigger from CPWSA instead of the AR Gold which will save you about 120 or so and don't bother with the oversized safety to save another 30. Get a Bravo Gunfighter charging handle and save another 40 unless you are left-handed. Not sure if you chose the Ace Stock because you like it or because of budget.... I'm not a big fan and would at least look at a Magpul ACS, dsgarms has an ACS kit with buffer, spring and tube for a fair price.

I can build a good rifle for myself for around 1600+shipping without sights or optics. Damn, all those shipping charges really add up :angry: Once you try to get optics into the same budget you are shorting yourself somewhere which is what makes the Stag and Loki such bargains around 1300. They don't really have any bad parts just ones which may not fit personal preference. So you can spend 1300 and then change the parts you don't want for another 3-400 which takes you up to the 1600 or so and then you realize for another 400 you can simply get a JP-15 with even more(LMOS, etc) of what you really want, warranty, service and some resale value. Resale value is hard to come by in the over saturated used AR market.

Although, building an AR yourself is something everybody should do at least once just to get a grasp on maintenance and function.

Upper and lower I would look at Sun Devil or Firebird Precision, just get a lower parts kit from them at the same time.

Barrel I would go with Nordic or Criterion.

Handguard for your budget would be Samson Evolution 15" or MI Gen II SS Series 15". I prefer the JP or Firebird/Carbon Arms but they will increase your budget.

Budget carrier and bolt would be BCM, DPMS or Young MFG Phosphate.

Gas block, my hands down favorite is the Firebird Precision.

Prices will vary depending on where you buy. Have fun searching. :cheers:

Check out LOKI..got the stag 3g mainly for the lifetime warranty but now

considering Loki as a back up rifle. Loki is like SV of ARs..check it.

I just checked out Loki......but my question is, are there any famous 3 gunners or 3 gun team that uses Loki?

Loki 3g rifle doesnt have Giselle trigger for the package, its $150 extra..and im unsure of how good the handgaurd and corvette compensator for the base model...

Check out LOKI..got the stag 3g mainly for the lifetime warranty but now

considering Loki as a back up rifle. Loki is like SV of ARs..check it.

I just checked out Loki......but my question is, are there any famous 3 gunners or 3 gun team that uses Loki?

Loki 3g rifle doesnt have Giselle trigger for the package, its $150 extra..and im unsure of how good the handgaurd and corvette compensator for the base model...

With a budget as low as you have I would go for one of the built guns from Stag, DPMS, Loki etc., get your optic and start shooting. Your AR will change as you get better and see other guys guns. Picking a brand cause somebody famous shoots it is kind of like buying a Chevy cause you saw one win in NASCAR. The top shooters in this game will still kick our butts with an Oly plinker.

Doug

JP rifles are $2k + , going to be above my budget right now.

I am strongly considering the Stag 3g the moment $1250...cant find any in stock, and then replacing the compensator

I've just started a build on an AR, an have been looking at quite a few companies just as you have. I'm in a different situation than you, in that I have one AR already, and this will be a slow build as budget allows for me. For the stripped lower you may want to consider Spike's Tactical, the prices are reasonable, and I have never heard any complaints about quality.

I started out shooting a stock DPMS carbine for $850, cheaper if used. Made changes from there. First was a Miculek comp. then a JP trigger. Did some swapping with items from prize table for a Magpul CTR stock (would go with their new STR now) among other parts to use what I was taking off the DPMS to make another carbine. Went from there with a barrel, etc.

Key is that just starting out I did not really know what I wanted. As I built I did so I did not make the mistakes of a heavy rifle, wrong length, etc. Very happy now!

IMHO your kind of building your rifle backwards, I would suggest starting with the real important stuff, like the barrel and recievers. I just dont see a $75 charging handle being a priority.

1) Length and weight of rifle, accuracy expectations, now choose barrel and gas block.

2) Get some decent upper and lowers.

3) Standard Mil-Spec bolt and carrier group, with extra powered extractor. If you think you have the money you can get a LMOS, another good thing is barrels that come with matching bolts, keep that in mind but not a show stopper.

3) Buy the GI upper and lower parts kits (usually cheaper this way even if you change parts).

4) Pick a trigger (You can get a good JP single stage for $130 plus shipping, it will not slow you down).

5) Pick a handguard (Free float if shooting past 100 yards). You can get free float for less than a $100.

6) Sights (iron or scope)

7) Now if the budget starts getting tight the standard A2 stock works quite well and a lot of the top shooters use it. Buffer springs depending on gas system length. But pick a stock.

8) Don't overlook the grip, if you have big hand you will not like the standard A2 grip, it is quite small, suggest the magpul MIAD or the Ergo.

Barrell will be the biggest factor in terms of accuracy, handling, and weight.

After all that writing, the Loki 3 gun rifle looks awesome for the money.

I know your budget is a little tight with including an optic, but don't short yourself on glass. A $2,000 dollar rifle with a $300 scope is a $300 dollar system, or so the saying goes.

The great thing about the AR is that it is an awesome system for upgrading yourself. So if you can't afford a certain part now, get something to fill the bill for a while untill you can get what you want. But all the coolest goodies in the world wont replace tons of ammunition down range in practice

IMHO your kind of building your rifle backwards, I would suggest starting with the real important stuff, like the barrel and recievers. I just dont see a $75 charging handle being a priority.

1) Length and weight of rifle, accuracy expectations, now choose barrel and gas block.

3) Standard Mil-Spec bolt and carrier group, with extra powered extractor. If you think you have the money you can get a LMOS, another good thing is barrels that come with matching bolts, keep that in mind but not a show stopper.

3) Buy the GI upper and lower parts kits (usually cheaper this way even if you change parts).

4) Pick a trigger (You can get a good JP single stage for $130 plus shipping, it will not slow you down).

5) Pick a handguard (Free float if shooting past 100 yards). You can get free float for less than a $100.

7) Now if the budget starts getting tight the standard A2 stock works quite well and a lot of the top shooters use it. Buffer springs depending on gas system length. But pick a stock.

8) Don't overlook the grip, if you have big hand you will not like the standard A2 grip, it is quite small, suggest the magpul MIAD or the Ergo.

I know your budget is a little tight with including an optic, but don't short yourself on glass. A $2,000 dollar rifle with a $300 scope is a $300 dollar system, or so the saying goes.

The great thing about the AR is that it is an awesome system for upgrading yourself. So if you can't afford a certain part now, get something to fill the bill for a while untill you can get what you want. But all the coolest goodies in the world wont replace tons of ammunition down range in practice

Excellent post, excellent advice from where I sit.

I'm quite curious, and even a bit nervous... Where did you find a JP single stage for $130??? I am thinking perhaps I way over paid for mine!!!

TAR

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I have both JP installed triggers and a Timney in ARs. I just put a set of JP springs in a mil spec trigger for a cheap upgrade on a spare gun that I have and it feels pretty good for $9.95! It's a vast improvement over the stock DPMS trigger that was in the lower. No need for expensive stuff to start, upgrading on an AR is both fun and informative.

Doug

Excellent post, excellent advice from where I sit.

I'm quite curious, and even a bit nervous... Where did you find a JP single stage for $130??? I am thinking perhaps I way over paid for mine!!!

TAR

clicky

It's not the easy trigger though. Requires fitting.