Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DID I DQ you be the RO

Mat Price

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rest of us had to do something like what was stated above, step left (the rest of the CoF was RO the right) pick up the gun stay turned 30-40 degrees downrange while we loaded and then turn back to engage the target.

it occurs at stage 5 in full speed this a little discussion we have going on

full speed video occurs on stage 5 eyes of the tiger

Full speed NO!!!!

You were already on the turn under 180 and considered facing downrange before the trigger housing broke the holster.....

You were under the 180 when the barrel was lifted...

RIO, Avery and Rod and Gun do these types of starts all the time, i've DQ'd many for draw then turn, drawing and turning the opposite direction etc.

I didn't watch the slow motion vids as they don't apply...call it at full speed

Edited by OpenDot

I usually step across with whichever foot is farthest from the direction I'm turning. Left foot if going right, right foot if going left. Stepping across immediately turns your hips downrange. On a stage with a target right on the 180, which is IMO a bad stage design since it is clearly a 180 trap, I will do as Matt says, give up a bit on the draw to make sure you are safe. Let's face it, everyone is going to have to do the same thing or face going home so there's no point trying to gain a tenth of a second there. And that's all we are talking about, maybe a tenth of a second at most, for something that is not going to win you the match anyways but can sure end your day pretty quick.

You can't win the match on these stages -- but you can sure end it.....

From the position the RO was in and at speed I would not have called a DQ. In all uprange starts in stages I design the WSB is "turn, then draw" in part to ingrain the safe action needed to complete the stage. I can attest that being swept in a draw then turn situation definately causes a severe pucker factor. :surprise:

FWIW the ready positon I prefer for uprange starts is wrists above shoulders or palms flat on a wall. This usually gives enough time to complete the turn before the hands draw the gun.

downrange.jpg

Down range as your on the turn

Disagree. Between the 7-8 second mark, the holster is broken and the trigger becomes accessible when the gun is inline with the camera. BY THE VIDEO. The draw occurs not when the muzzle comes up, but when the trigger becomes accessible. The plane of the muzzle is at issue here.

Still and all, who knows if I was on the timer if I would have seen it enough to call it. It's not clear enough by the video to be certain either way, but it's important to understand that the plane of the muzzle AT THE TIME the trigger becomes accessible is the point that has to be witnessed, and in this situation, it's causing a lot more risk than it's worth.

The ball pit stage at double tap forced a 180 trap.

Gun unloaded down range. Three foot tall fence at the back fault line. Small window 6-8" from the rear fault line. Target directly in the 180 outside of the window. Oh yeah, and you are standing in thousands of plastic balls.

Watch the videos.

I saw that Jeff. I have been working my turn the way hommie suggested pivot on strong heel it's starting to feel a lil less awkward

To give credit where credit is due, I just try to do what I learned from Todd Jarrett. Watch his feet in video...

I agree it is smother and easier to get on target this way I jsut feel like i am loosing so much time.

Don't stand with your feet so far apart and pre-load your left leg up so you don't have to step then turn. With left leg/foot preloaded, the draw starts with pivoting right foot as you snap your head to target. Your body will follow your head. Try not to lift your right foot that far off the ground.