Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shot size

tewlman

#6 & #7.5's. 7.5's are easier to find, but 6's are great!

I keep a box of buffered #4's (Hornady TAP 00 is the best) if the match allows for it on long steel, and then also keep a box of # 8's or #9's and the diffusion choke, if I didn't pick up spreaders.

Rich

For me..

Mostly I have found that most matches lately have not needed anything more than 7.5's. Generally I load a majority of my match ammo with 7.5's, but I like to keep my options open and load usually 1 box of 3 3/4-1 1/4 - 4's, a few boxes of 3 1/4-1 1/8 - 6's, 4 boxes of 3 1/4-1 1/8 - 7.5's, and toss in a few 3+ - 1 1/8 - 9's. I have components for making spreader loads, but haven't as yet really needed them.

I had some luck down in AZ at the SSM3G using 7.5's and improved cylinder to knock down 6 plates with 4 rounds. Generally though I think I mix between 6's and 7.5's. If we are shooting pipes (like the cowboys like to use) I'd prefer 6's since the 7.5's don't usually have enough punch. Otherwise 7.5's are a good general purpose round for me.

Dang... is it obvious I'm a shotgunner? :D

Vince

If blastin' clays, Remington STS Low Recoil #8's; for steel, my own reloads(loaded like a low recoil round) using STS hulls and #4 Buck(12 ga) and 000 Buck for 20 ga. Shot through a Browning Gold of course!!!!!!!(yes, even the low recoil works perfect)

3 dram, 1.125 oz. 7.5 shot and lo-recoil buck (if allowed).

With a modified choke the 7.5 works well to 30 yards on heavy steel. In fact, 3 dram 7.5’s through a mod choke work better than 3.75 dram #4 did through an IC choke, lot’s less recoil too!

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Hi Guys,

In most matches and when i am training, i use 7,5 lead in Sporting Shells, .... but ... B) , when there is some "rebel" in the stage (long distance pepper), i load a n°5 lead, ... with a modified cylinder choke (***), ...... ;)

I'm all over the WalMart Winchester 7.5's. I think they are 3 dram, but

they don't say. Just says "Multi Purpose". I guess 3 Gun falls under that

catagory.

I used those in my 21" 1100 with a mod choke on the all steel, run down the

path shoot the poppers, stage at the 3GN. Everything fell on the first

shot.