Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unconventional range bags?

Looking for something to hold gear (muffs, ammo, cleaning kits, tools, etc) at the range. Looking for something like a range bag, but without the high dollar range bag price tag. Looking at a tool bag or similar. Anyone have any suggestions on a larger range bag that will not break the bank?

CED backpack, comes with a stool

OP not looking for high dollar, wants a bag on a budget. $200+ even though backpack comes with a stool, I'll stick to regular bag and my $9 Walmart chair.

The LA Police gear "bug out bag" has carried everything I've needed at many major 3 gun matches.

I love my small bug out bag. I looked into getting the larger version but decided the small held as much as I cared to tote. I use it as my range bag, USPSA match bag with a folding stool, and for 3-Gun sitting on top of a milk crate that is on a folding wheeled luggage cart. It works great, is tough, good looking, and cheap enough to buy more than one for different set-ups. They are so cheap I bought another one but just use my first one and swap the contents out. http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I've started to use back packs.....never mind that I have back pack that you can put a rifle (or shotgun). I also have a rifle case that doubles as a backpack.

I did just get a conventional back pack however, that has all sorts of pockets and it was like $25 or so.....pretty usefull, I could carry all my 3 gun gear and pistol, then just carry a double rifle cloth case. It's been kinda handy to carry everything. I bet you could find an ALICE pack w/frame on the cheap too.

Tim

This is the Husky I use.

+1 on the Husky bag. Get a 2" wide 2' long piece of elastic, a stapler, and a light piece of cardboard or plastic that fits the bag from end to end and you can make individual mag holders. There's a lot you can do with a basic bag if you put in the effort. Just a cheapskate's idea.

Edited by chaosshooter00

The LA Police gear "bug out bag" has carried everything I've needed at many major 3 gun matches.

This will get you by for a while.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Or

http://www.lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

Note the regular model I received will only close with 1 30rd mag in the m16 mag pouch. They show 2 in the images with the flap open. It doesn't do much good to have a flap that wont close with 2 mags. I complained about that and maybe now the flaps are longer so they will close with 2 mags. Good quality and excellent price. I recommend the company and have bought lost of stuff.

Don't get black. Too hard to see and find stuff inside a black bag of any kind.

If you want to save some money check out Harbor Freight. I have had one of there tool bags in my offroad rig for about 5 years. It certainly has done a good job of retaining my recovery gear and tools in the Jeep. For several dollars less than the Husky one it will give you the same effect.

If you do not mind me asking how many weapons are you putting in the bag? What are you shooting?

This would solely be for handgun. Max of 3

Not tring to be a prick but I am going to guess that like most people here you have some nice weapons that cost a decent amount. Why is it that we are so willing to by a $250o pistol but think $100 for a range bag is crazy? I have a shooters connection range bag money well spent it is built to last and I am sure I would be 2 or 3 cheaper bags before this ones needs to be replaced thus to me I saved money. It seems odd that wilth all the money it takes to par take in this sport that we are so worried about the cost of the small items but think nothing of a $1500 scope.

I might not be like most, but some of the gun bags are just not functional, or you throw out your back lugging all the extra crap. Besides, $20 on a functional tote vs. $200 on a less functional tote...that is a simple decision.