Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Nationals Waitlist

Rob Boudrie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE NOTE: there is NO guarantee of a walk-on slot if you go that route. We do everything in our power to get walk-ons in, but we are limited due to a squad schedule that must be followed, staffing issues and plain ol' Father Time. I've been coordinator for the Nationals for 12 years now and I've not had to turn anyone away yet, so yes, chances are pretty good. However, it also depends on how many people show up to walk on, how many no-shows and last-minute cancellations we get,etc. So please keep that in mind if you decide to do it. I don't want to discourage anyone, but I don't want misinformation to ruin anyone's good time either. If we get too many walk-ons we most certainly will turn them away and I would caution you all to keep in mind that we've been getting more and more walk-ons each year as word spreads so...I guess it's Vegas and the gamble is yours, but please be aware of the facts before going that route.

Also, I will be releasing a big pile of slots on Thursday. I'm a bit later than normal doing that, but Rob is tweaking the system for me to make the processing a little more stream-lined and efficient and he's not quite done with those changes yet. As it stands today I have roughly 120 slots to redistribute. Don't despair if your magic number is higher than that though, that's just what I've got after voiding all unclaimed slots. There will still be numerous cancellations between now and the match and that will allow me to release more.

If you're in the 1-120 window please keep an eye on your profile over the next week to be sure you don't miss your opportunity.

Thanks a bunch!

Kim Williams

Operations Director, USPSA

kim@uspsa.org

Edited by Kimberley

I suspect that this is spread over both matches. There are 36 squads for each match and according to the self-squadding there are 10 shooters per squad and 281 and 295 already showing on the page. So it appears (best case) that there are 79 slots left for the Prod/LTD match and about 65 left for the Open./L10 match

Sorry, I should have been more clear. That's 120 EACH match. I'm home now and don't have access to the exact number, but I think the match cap is something like 400.

I've subscribed to this thread, so please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Kim

Walk-ups should go to the END of the line at registration; not the front.

dry.gif

We had our own line last year.......And in that line was the defending Limited National Champion !!

Walk-ups should go to the END of the line at registration; not the front.

dry.gif

We had our own line last year.......And in that line was the defending Limited National Champion !!

Cool.

If he or anyone else in that line went before the people who had already submitted their paperwork and payment -- not cool.

That is correct, there is a separate line entirely for walk-ons.

Kim

Never doubted it.

Will they be served before those who have already submitted their paperwork and payment?

No, not exactly, although it may appear that way to someone who isn't aware of the process. A pre-registered competitor could go through the registration line probably at least 3 times before one walk-on is done with his/her registration.

The process starts with any interested walk-ons signing up on a clipboard, at the beginning of registration. Then, they wait. And wait. And sometimes wait some more. They're waiting for an opening -- confirmation that someone isn't coming or a drop-out. When their name is called they then have to fill out the paperwork and pay the match fee and then there's more waiting while we get them squadded, print their score sheet labels, make up a dummy badge and then send them through the "normal" registration process of filling out the waiver, equipment survey, etc.

At the end of the registration period we void any no-shows and then give those to walk-ons still waiting to get in so, yes, there have been years that we've had walk-ons who have had to sit through all of registration before knowing if they would get in.

Compare that to a pre-registered competitor who has completed the equipment survey online, in advance: they walk in, sign the liability waiver, verify class, division, and category is correct, grab a t-shirt, shooter bag, name tag and labels, walk out the other side, done.

We try to make the process as quick and painless as we can for everyone, but there's a limit to what we can do. Either way, it's definitely a quicker, easier process if you earned a slot and are pre-registered.

I would also like to say, for the record, that I am ever-grateful for our membership and how patient and understanding they are with this process. I've never had anyone snap or even get surly because of the amount of time and effort it takes to get in, even if they've had to sit on a conference room floor for 4 hours.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Kim

That is correct, there is a separate line entirely for walk-ons.

Kim

Never doubted it.

Will they be served before those who have already submitted their paperwork and payment?

No, not exactly, although it may appear that way to someone who isn't aware of the process. A pre-registered competitor could go through the registration line probably at least 3 times before one walk-on is done with his/her registration.

The process starts with any interested walk-ons signing up on a clipboard, at the beginning of registration. Then, they wait. And wait. And sometimes wait some more. They're waiting for an opening -- confirmation that someone isn't coming or a drop-out. When their name is called they then have to fill out the paperwork and pay the match fee and then there's more waiting while we get them squadded, print their score sheet labels, make up a dummy badge and then send them through the "normal" registration process of filling out the waiver, equipment survey, etc.

At the end of the registration period we void any no-shows and then give those to walk-ons still waiting to get in so, yes, there have been years that we've had walk-ons who have had to sit through all of registration before knowing if they would get in.

Compare that to a pre-registered competitor who has completed the equipment survey online, in advance: they walk in, sign the liability waiver, verify class, division, and category is correct, grab a t-shirt, shooter bag, name tag and labels, walk out the other side, done.

We try to make the process as quick and painless as we can for everyone, but there's a limit to what we can do. Either way, it's definitely a quicker, easier process if you earned a slot and are pre-registered.

I would also like to say, for the record, that I am ever-grateful for our membership and how patient and understanding they are with this process. I've never had anyone snap or even get surly because of the amount of time and effort it takes to get in, even if they've had to sit on a conference room floor for 4 hours.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Kim

Thank you Kim for taking the time explaining this as some people are really unaware of what goes within the process. Especially, the part where walk-ons do wait hours longer than registered and paid competitors.

Just a quick update: as you are probably already aware, I did not release the 120 slots yesterday. Rob said he should have the problems fixed by the end of the weekend so look for those wait list invitations on Monday. I'll let you know if anything changes again.

Kim

I know, I know, you've heard it all before. Rob is without power so the fixes still aren't in. He hopes to have it done tomorrow, provided they get power back. I'm going to shoot for then and will keep you posted if that changes again.

Sorry for the delay, we're working on it, I promise!

:) Kim

Yes, power is back on and he thinks it's all ready for prime time. He's asked me to invite just 2-3 to start to make sure it's doing what we want. As soon as I hear the okay back from him I'll go ahead and release the rest.

Thanks again for your patience!

Kim