Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prizes at USPSA majors

okorpheus

Speaking as one of the D class pukes so many are looking down on, I want at least a chance at something from the table if I spring for a Major Match entry fee. I work hard all year at the local matches, designing, setting up, and breaking down stages and shoot as much as I can to the best of my physical ablity. I do not expect Pro Football Player money, or even Pro shooter money but I would like to know that I have a chance to not only shoot a nice match but a chance at some loot too!

I also am a D class shooter (hoping to improve on that soon), so I certainly don't look down on anyone. I agree c and d class shooters do deserve a chance at the prize table. I just don't think that chance should come from being the first D class shooter in a division, but through random draw. The reason fo rhis is that the line between classes (D and C for instance) is entirely arbitrary, and there is no significant skill difference between a low C shooter and a high D shooter. But for some reason, some folks think that the high D shooter is more deserving of a prize since he didn't manage to move up to C. I realize you didn't actually advocate for prizes for D class winners, so I'm not sure if you are for it, or for random draw for the classes. I personally am for random draw. If I was top D shooter at a major match, I'd feel pretty lame if I got a fancy prize based on my class finish while C class guys whose only crime was making fewer mistakes in their last few classifiers got nothing. If it's random, then all us mid-pack guys (D, C, B, and whoever else) have an equal chance. Better yet, we all have that much more incentive to shoot our classifiers well and move up a class because we wont be hosing ourselves out of prizes by doing so.

Let me add, however, that this is only a fairly minor issue to me, so I'm just arguing on the internet for fun. I don't shoot for prizes, I shoot because I enjoy shooting, and enjoy improving. I shoot competition because that's how you measure your improvement, and because it motivates one to train better. I'll keep shooting competition because I enjoy it, regardless of how prizes are distributed. Life is good. :cheers:

Edited by motosapiens

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since someone felt the need to drag politics into this topic (posts now removed), it's Closed.

Be patient. Someone will raise the question once more in a few weeks, and then you can argue it yet again.

(wise people who enjoy being here WILL wait a few weeks)