Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sw 625 JM major PF load

bobtorre

Just a heads up, trying to make major with Titegroup in 45 will be an exercise in erratic readings. Try Clays or another powder. Titegroup requires a lot of left over case capacity to be consistent.

Jim

From a 5" PC625

With Titegroup and 230 RN bullets I used:

Montana Gold FMJ 4.3 and 1.225 oal 724f/s

Ranier or Berry Plated 4.5 and 1.250 oal 745f/s

Precision Coated/Lead 4.2 and 1.210 oal 730 f/s

The problem with Titegroup is it gets real hot, real quick in sustained shooting and that leads to the possibility of scorching your hand on reloads. Yes it does get that hot.

Clays seems the best and the most popular for Revolvers, around 4.0 seems to work with Jacketed/Plates loads.

Remember the ejecta weight (which includes the powder charge) makes a minute difference in recoil. But the pressure curve can make a difference also. That's why you just have to shoot a load to see if you like it.

Edited by pskys2

Awesome info on the tite group issue above. I do have a 1 lb of Univesal Clays... So 4.0 grains is the ticket on a 230 grain jacketed round ball bullet...?

CAREFUL most everyone shoots CLAYS not universal clays. I don't know if the load data for universal clays is similar or not. Most everyone shoots 3.6 to 4 to make major out of 5" 625 with lead bullets, jacketed a little more. 4.0 would be a good starting point.

That is a drastic difference... Same gun and model and different speed.... What would cause this?

I will chrono. My plan is to start with 4.0 and work my way to 4.3.

:cheers:

Edited by zorro

That is a drastic difference... Same gun and model and different speed.... What would cause this?

I will chrono. My plan is to start with 4.0 and work my way to 4.3.

:cheers:

Not really, change in temperature could explain the variance. One barrel is tighter than another. etc etc.

4.0 of Clays is the starting point. You will need more, most likely.

Heck you can get a few tenths difference in scales also.

But if you only shoot club matches it's a safe load.

If you're going to any larger Match, you need access to a chrono, they're not very expensive either.

Then make sure you check your final load in several different temp/humidity settings.