Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 x 23 ammunition

The_Vigilante

Yes, there are still a few using it but it's not as common now and brass is a pain. I used to run a 9x21 for a while but got tired of it after 38 SC came out and went to that. Now I'm all about 9Major and have converted all my guns to that.

One of the pros is that you have more capacity so a wider range of powders to make Major and the major con is the brass...

There is still some left commercially but very little. I personally think it's a great cartridge but if I started from scratch I'd just use 38SC. The only reason I still use it is because I have the brass. Eventually I'll only use 38SC. I've never shot internationally but I think it has a bigger following outside of the US. I'm sure someone can yell you a little more about that than I can. I like the fact that it's a little thicker in the base but I've seen plenty of 38SC cases that are 170-175PF and have no bulge.

I was looking at some loads for 9x23 and WAP seems to be a popular choice but I guess Winchester is no longer making WAP. Do they have another similar powder? So after using Google it appears that WAP is now Silhouette made by Ramshot. For those of you who used WAP before it was discontinued, is Silhouette the same as WAP? Can I use the same loads for Silhouette that were originally for WAP?

Edited by The_Vigilante

One advantage to 9x23 is it uses 9x19 dies .

The whole brass issue really is dependent on how much you shoot. If you shoot 300 rounds a week for practice plus 2 or more matches a month, then it can add up but if you rarely get out to practice and only get to a match once a month if you are luck, I see no advantage.

I start with the 38s load data, back off a bit and then work it up to what I want.

I have started to use 38sc in my 9x23. I "full length" size all of my brass with a special procedure most people would shake their heads at. But I do not have any failure to feed stoppages any more. I use 38s sizing die on a single stage press, then I have a 9mm sizing die in the dillion. After doing this, the brass is dimentionaly the same as 9x23, except the rim is ~1mm smaller on 38sc than 9x23. My gun does not care. This process changed the reliabilty dramatically. There are more steps to the sizing process, if you are interested, PM me and I will describe the process fully.

Now I will use any range brass either 38sc or 9x23.

Scott

That's funny, I size my 9x23 with a 9x23 sizer die but finish with a 38 Super factory crimp die which gives it just a rub at the bottom of the case to make it dimensionally like a 38 Super. I run a 38SC chamber and it can shoot booth my 9x23 and 38SC. My 9x23gun ammo will run in any 38 chamber.

I used to run 9x23/9supercomp before I changed over to 9 major, stopped caring where the brass went and concentrated on the shooting. Sized with a complete Dillon die set. My gun would run 9x23, 9supercomp, 38TJ, or 38supercomp loaded on this setup with equal results. Col 1.255, 124/125 MG or Zero, 7.5gr IMR7625, Win or Fiocchi SRP. When the gun was built there were more bullet choices for 9mm than 38 super, so went with the 9x23. Good performance, but the brass is expensive. If you can recover your brass, it is a great round. I probably sold my remaining brass to one of you guys.

• 5 months later...

One more question regarding 9x23 ammunition. I am contemplating having a 9x23 barrel w/comp made for the 9mm Open Gun I just purchased from a forum member. I was advised that I would need a 170mm .38 Super Magazine for the 9x23 ammunition-is this correct? Will the 9x23 ammo work in these magazines? Where's the best source to buy one (or more)? Thanks