Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Stage

theycallmeingot

This is my first stage design and also my first attempt at google sketchup. It should be pointed out this is going to be just for personal practice use, but I am still interested in feedback as if it were going to be put into a match, as it peratins to legality and just general fun"ness". :D

FirstStage.jpg

Shooter would start anywhere inside shooting area. gun holstered and loaded.

The rear left and right targets are visible only by going down their respective hallways, or by leaning over the center upside down wall, and not from the initial "shooting box".

Edited by theycallmeingot

The only legality issue I see is how the center section is designed. 3 paper and 3 steel makes for 9 shots. Now it could be argued that you could take the plates while moving towards the low wall etc. but to me it is still to close to 9 shots required from one position to be legal.

I would also like to see ports put in. One on the right and one on the left. Being as you have 5 plates you could set it up so that plates 1-3 are visible from the left, 2-4 in the middle, and 3-5 from the right. That opens up a lot of possible ways to shoot the stage, and would really test peoples skills at stage planning.

A possible safety issue I see is if the shooter starts in the front and engages everything but the rear two targets, he will then take off in retreat and possible leave the RO on the wrong side of the gun if they are not already standing towards the middle of the stage. Maybe add a couple of extra targets to the back so that the round count is 23 or 27. This would encourage shooters to start somewhere in the back so that they could reload as they moved towards the front rather than reload while moving to the rear where it is harder for the RO to keep an eye on the gun as they are also moving to the rear.

Edited by Poppa Bear

The only legality issue I see is how the center section is designed. 3 paper and 3 steel makes for 9 shots. Now it could be argued that you could take the plates while moving towards the low wall etc. but to me it is still to close to 9 shots required from one position to be legal.

I would also like to see ports put in. One on the right and one on the left. Being as you have 5 plates you could set it up so that plates 1-3 are visible from the left, 2-4 in the middle, and 3-5 from the right. That opens up a lot of possible ways to shoot the stage, and would really test peoples skills at stage planning.

A possible safety issue I see is if the shooter starts in the front and engages everything but the rear two targets, he will then take off in retreat and possible leave the RO on the wrong side of the gun if they are not already standing towards the middle of the stage. Maybe add a couple of extra targets to the back so that the round count is 23 or 27. This would encourage shooters to start somewhere in the back so that they could reload as they moved towards the front.

even though i clearly stated that the shooter could start anywhere, i had always imagined starting from the rear. This would make those steels down the center visible from 2 locations, the end "port", and the start location. Am I understanding the rule correctly? If so, do i just need to put Xs in the rear shooting box? This would also eliminate the RO possibly getting a gun in his face.

IF... IF... the outer targets to the rear are visible enough when I lean, or at least one side is visible (left side being as I am right handed) I would start on the right hand side of the middle. I would then hit the right side for those two targets (if needed), and then finish off with a quick dash to the rear. Movement is the biggest factor in the total time to shoot this satge and Limited and Open guys can shoot this with one mag. Other than the middle steel, most of this stage would be stand and shoot due to the limited visibility throughout the course.

As the course is designed you could specify one foot touching one of the rear fault lines as the starting position, but most shooters would shoot it the same way due to the limited areas that each of the targets is visible.

You could shorten the outer front walls so that some of the middle steel is visible from either side and set the outer paper so that it is only visible from the respective ends. Now I have to hit all positions to engage everything.

Stage1b.jpg

on the right track?

the added paper are engageable from start position, through port, or from end of hallway on either side. the 1 steel and 1 paper are visible through the port or end of hallway opening.

of the middle 3 steel, the left and center are visible through the left port, while the right and center are visible through the right port. all middle steel are visible from start position. 3 low paper only visible from over the low wall.

I like it a lot better. If the inner paper is marginally visible from the outside, and the outer paper is marginally visible through the port it will put enough of a challenge into the stage to test most any shooters plan. I really at this point would not have any idea what the quickest way to shoot it is. It would take some actual on the ground walk-throughs and even then it might not be the best way.

• 9 months later...

I like that it separates those who are able to engage the targets by leaning from those who are not. I think the more variability a stage has, the more fun it is for people to shoot. Is the steel visible as you are approaching the center wall, or is the wall too high? That would throw in another interesting alternative.

Bear...yes you can take 9 shots from one position, but you are not required (or forced) to take 9 shots from that position, since you can see the side plates and paper fro the side areas. Rule 1.2.1.2 says you must not require more than 8 hits from a single location... Legal.