Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 5 flight concerns

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any special concerns i should be aware of if im flying into Chicago Ohare with guns for area 5? My dad and I have had multiple people tell us that we need to be careful, and that Chicago is similar to New York. We called the airline and they referred us to TSA's website. Is there any weird gun laws in Chicago? The last time we flew with firearms was before 9/11 so im a little clueless to how it all works now. Thanks for your help.

Ohare might not be in Chicago proper, and may not be subject to their draconian laws.

Chicago proper has terrible anti gun laws.

Illinois in general is no bargain, either.

Worse in many ways than even California.

But it might be safer and easier to fly into Davenport, Iowa or some place similar, instead.

And you might want to check with the folks at the club range, where the match is being held, for pertinent info, too.

Edited by g.willikers

A champion shooter flew into O'Hare last month for a video shoot at Tri-County Gun Club. I picked him up at the airport, and there were no problems entering or exiting with his limited, open and single stack pistols. Also came in with about 500 rounds of ammo...left with none. :-)

As long as you transport legally through Illinois (unloaded and in a case) and stay out of Chicago, you'll be fine.

As long as I have you (someone from California).... I'm thinking about shooting a local match in San Diego next month.

Do I need to do anything special to bring in a couple of STI open guns and high capacity (in California speak) magazines?

As in 4 140mm and 4 170mm mags.

Edited by Chip_E

I traveled back to Area 5 in 2006 and 2010. Flew from LAX to ORD and back. No problems. Just follow the rules and don't be a Richard Cranium with the folks working the airport terminal.

Have a good match and don't forget the bug spray. They have bugs there... and heat AND humidity!

Later,

Chuck

Not a lawyer, but would advise keeping everything low profile as O'Hare is actually in the City of Chicago. Federal statutes may protect you, but like NYC it is all at their whim. See the following:

It is operated by the City of Chicago Department of Aviation. Most of O'Hare Airport is in Cook County, but a section of the southwest part of the airport is in DuPage County. The Cook County portion is located within a section of the city of Chicago contiguously connected to the rest of the city via a narrow strip of land about 200 feet (61 m) wide, running along Foster Ave. from the Des Plaines River to the airport.[9] This land was annexed into the city limits in the 1950s to assure the massive tax revenue associated with the airport being part of the city. The strip is bounded on the north by Rosemont and the south by Schiller Park.[10]

The airport is named after Edward O'Hare, the U.S. Navy's first flying ace and Medal of Honor recipient in World War II.

I would be more concerned about the baggage guys stealing your guns then the laws of the land. Chicago is known for stuff going missing out of your bags. Make sure your guns are inside your main luggage, not in a separate case that says, something expensive inside.

Tom