Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm in a 38 Super Comp

Shadyscott999

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tried this the other day in my tanfoglio .38Super. (V8) At first it would not cycle..stovepipes. I changed the recoil spring from 11lb to 8lb and it just plops the brass enough to clear the gun...

Shot about 100rds of 124gr at 135-136pf. I fired some federal Hydrashok I had lying around (147gr) and it seemed to work better. I should be getting some 124gr at about 138-139pf. I will use it for practice and then switch out to super for the last half of my practice. Mags are factory and they all fed perfect. OAL I will get back to you on..but it is not long. Would work in a CZ shadow or Sammi spec chamber.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

This seems to be a very challanging subject. I understood the shooting 9mm in a 38s gun is more about the extractor angle and not the extractor spring pressure. is this correct? I'm very skeptical about this but the cost of brass is a very large draw towards 9mm.

Once I started shooting 9 there was no going back... :) There was that newly-discovered sense of freedom, and I did not feel there was any reason to go back.

These days I can get once-fired brass for $8 a thousand.

Where can you buy once fired bradd for $8 /K? Sure would like to lay my hands on some.

Chris

I don't own a .38 Super or SC pistol. However I do remember making a habit of shooting a lot of .38 Special in a .357 686 revolver.

100% safe no problem EXCEPT the chambers all ended up with a serious crusty ring of carbon in front of the case mouth due to the shorter .38 Special. It prevented chambering .357 magnum and was a b*tch to remove.

I can't help thinking that with prolonged use you may get the same effect in the .38 SC chamber with 9mm ammo ? I wouldn't want that in my expensive Open race gun.

Edited by malagamarksman