Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Shadyscott999

9mm in a 38 Super Comp

I have seen a few posts here, and other places on the net that mention shooting 9 Major out of a Super Comp gun. Will this actually work? I assume the round is being held in place by the extractor? It would see that accuracy "should" suck. Thoughts?

I can't speak about 9mm in 38 supercomp but I have shot "thousands of 9mm" out of a 9x23 gun and yes just the extractor is holding the round. The bummer is if a round gets infront of the extractor, you can only shake hell out of it and hope it falls out.

Mildot

there are many posts on this. there are two potential issues. chamber dimensions are different, the 38 Super being narrower in the rear. the 9mm might not chamber sufficiently and that could prevent the gun from returning fully to battery. this depends on the 38 Super chamber dimensions and the width of the 9mm brass head. the 9mm brass might also get stuck for this reason, and remain so when fired, requiring you to pound it out. i've not had to pound out 9mm Luger brass, but I have had to pound out 9X23 brass, and it got stuck at the case head, which is where the 9mm would get stuck too. and i mean stuck!!!

the other issue has to do with firing short rounds in long chambers. i don't know if it requires that the round moves in front of the extractor or not. but i've personally experienced this with 9mm Luger in 38 Super chambers and 40 S&W in 10mm chambers. in the case of 40 S&W i know that some cases were in fact ahead of the extractor because of damage to the cartridge rim. I don't about the 9mm examples. Anyway, the primer gets pierced, the shooter gets hot gas and potentially primer material back in the face at high speed. it is not fun, and potentially dangerous. yes, i know, some people have done this many thousands of times with no problem. others, like myself, have not had such good luck. it's risky.

I shoot 9mm minor through my super chambered gun. I've only shot 100 or so, but it ran 100%. Brass just dribbles out though

Done many, many thousands of rounds this way with not a single issue.

Edited by Foxbat

Reason I ask...

I decided to make the move to Open this week. I currently have a borrowed Jeff Abernathy 9 Major gun. Jeff is going to build me a Open gun shortly. Everyone I talk to in this area says super comp is the only way to go. I have heard all the arguments for and against 9/38 I am just really undecided. BTW, Jeff says SC.

Look at where you are from......SC...... Listen to Jeff and your state......

Look at where you are from......SC...... Listen to Jeff and your state......

I believe you are right. I just thought it would be interesting to shoot a 9 major load out of the exact same gun. That way, I could decide if I wanted to fit a 9mm barrel.

I was keen to try this to shoot Open Speed Steel with low PF 9mm rounds in my 38SC Open gun, but have been waiting to read more about others that have tried it before I try it myself...

1339998675[/url]' post='1726655']

I was keen to try this to shoot Open Speed Steel with low PF 9mm rounds in my 38SC Open gun, but have been waiting to read more about others that have tried it before I try it myself...

9mm in my 38 Super barrel functioned properly, but accuracy was horrible; 12" groups at 24 yards.

I have (2) 9major open guns... and i've shot Burkett's 38sc....I really couldn't tell a difference :roflol:

Shooting in the same .38SC gun, I can't tell the difference between 9mm and .38SC, using the same powder. When switching the guns, you feel the character of the gun, not the caliber.

Shooting in the same .38SC gun, I can't tell the difference between 9mm and .38SC, using the same powder. When switching the guns, you feel the character of the gun, not the caliber.

of course using the same load in each caliber would be unnoticable, there are many super loads that would not fit in a 9mmm case ex 10.3gr N105. One could never do that comparison...105 is a very low pressure powder. You can not shoot such powder in 9mm at least not at a major power factor. one of the big advantages of 38 super is that your gun does not get beaten up by high pressure...less wear.

I hate to sound like a simpleton here, but doesn't the cartridge use the headspace of the chamber to help support the round? and if that isn't there, the only thing holding the 9mm round in a 38 super chamber is the extractor tension which I would have guessed would lead to additional battering of the breechface. I can't argue with the data if people actually shoot this, but it seems really strange to me.

Reason I ask...

I decided to make the move to Open this week. I currently have a borrowed Jeff Abernathy 9 Major gun. Jeff is going to build me a Open gun shortly. Everyone I talk to in this area says super comp is the only way to go. I have heard all the arguments for and against 9/38 I am just really undecided. BTW, Jeff says SC.

He is telling you 38SC because you want a "shorty". You will need the extra case capacity of 38S to make major comfortably. You also have more powders to choose from.

Don't shoot 9 major in a 38s chambered gun or you will wake up in a roadside ditch. ;)

Many cartridges don't actually touch the mouth of the cartridge to the shoulder in the chamber. For instance, most .45 cases are shorter than the SAAMI specs. Check in your own gun/guns, do a "plunk" test with empty cases and see where they end up in relation to the end of the barrel hood.

I hate to sound like a simpleton here, but doesn't the cartridge use the headspace of the chamber to help support the round? and if that isn't there, the only thing holding the 9mm round in a 38 super chamber is the extractor tension

That is correct, the round is being held by the extractor. Some people say the extractor tooth will break - but after about 20,000 rounds through one gun, the extractor is still fine.

It is true that some powders will not work in 9 Major, but the subject was NOT choice of powders, but the ability to shoot 9's in 38S chambered guns. I did it for one full season, with 100% reliability, using mostly HS-6 powder, and sometimes the AutoComp.

That is correct, the round is being held by the extractor. Some people say the extractor tooth will break - but after about 20,000 rounds through one gun, the extractor is still fine.

It is true that some powders will not work in 9 Major, but the subject was NOT choice of powders, but the ability to shoot 9's in 38S chambered guns. I did it for one full season, with 100% reliability, using mostly HS-6 powder, and sometimes the AutoComp.

I wonder if the front of the chamber is eroding and if it is, will it eventually cause headspacing issues

This post may be leading in the wrong direction but,

I fairly new to this and y'all say that the same load, amount of powder, in a 9major and 38super comp would feel the same. I would think that because the 9major is not loaded as long as the 38sc then there would be a pressure difference, thus making it feel a little different and having different PF's. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hate to sound like a simpleton here, but doesn't the cartridge use the headspace of the chamber to help support the round? and if that isn't there, the only thing holding the 9mm round in a 38 super chamber is the extractor tension which I would have guessed would lead to additional battering of the breechface. I can't argue with the data if people actually shoot this, but it seems really strange to me.

You ain't slow...

Your theory is perfectly sound. It's the main reason why I don't suggest the practice.

Still, from the number of people apparently doing this, I'd expect to hear about more broken guns.

I'm not taking the absence of these broken gun reports to be a verification that the practice is safe, but it makes you think.

If my reason for fearing this approach is the longer chamber and perhaps more generous tolerences between the case and chamber dimentions, and it isn't proving to be a problem, then what does that suggest about our standard chambers?

I know in theory our guns are supposed to headspace off the case mouth. In practice, many are probably achieving that result from a combination of the extractor, chamber taper, and barrel throat as well as the case mouth.

All most makes me want to pull the firing pin on a few guns and check how much fore/aft play exists with a loaded round.

I made up some blank rounds and as expected, the extractor holds the 9mm round tight to the breach face in my gun chambered for 38 super. Of course without the extractor it slides down into the chamber lacking the proper headspace. It fed and ejected fine when cycled by hand, so trusting the reports of others, I fired a couple off at the range with no ill effects. This doesn't answer the question of the potential erosion on the front of the chamber. I would think the headspace edge would be damaged over time. But I am also starting wonder about the importance of the headspace altogether

slight drift, but I've got a friend of mine who has shot well over 100,000 rounds of 9x19 in a 9x21 chambered gun, no ill effects either. It's not an S_I, but a Tanfoglio

I would think the headspace edge would be damaged over time.

I can't see any such damage after many thousands of rounds. I also shot some .38 SC rounds to test the theory that the chamber will erode in the front, with the .38 cartridge now expanding and sticking in, but saw no evidence of that either - the case shows no imprint of chamber erosion either.

So now I'm wondering how important a caliber specific headspaced chamber really is.