Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which brass for 38spl.?

twister

Thanks for the replies. Will the moon clips for the 38 short colt work with 38spl.?

It will fit all the Starline 38 specials. later rdd

I use the inexpensive Ranch Products moonclips which are quite tight with W-W nickel and brass cases and fairly tight with R-P and Federal cases but much too loose for use with Starline brass. At $75 per 100 the Ranch product moonclips are hard to beat.

Tony, thanks for the tips. How many people use 38spl. brass in their guns? Is it worth going to 38sc? I haven't had a chance to locate any of the sc brass and wondered how much shorter it is. Thanks for all the help,Dave.

Tony, thanks for the tips. How many people use 38spl. brass in their guns? Is it worth going to 38sc? I haven't had a chance to locate any of the sc brass and wondered how much shorter it is. Thanks for all the help,Dave.

Its about as long as a 9mm case. The short colt is just a cut down special case. The case head is the same, if a moon clip fits one it fits the other. If they are the same brand of case that is.

I've cut down some Starline special brass just to do some load development. I haven't tried it enough though to comment on the benefits of reloading during a stage. I'm pretty sure there are several threads on the topic.

Kevin

I asked you earlier if you were going to shoot competition with it. If you are going to use it in IDPA you can only load .38 special. If you are going for USPSA or ICORE then it would be legal to use a shorter case.

It sounds like you are new to reloading, so I am going to recommend that you stick with the .38 special first before moving on to the short colt. You will need special dies for the short colt. You can still use the same resizing die, however since the case is so much shorter you will need a different expander and seating/crimping die.

Glockcanman, I'll be shooting the gun in ICORE,and USPSA. I picked up some 38 short colt brass and dies this afternoon to try at the range tomorrow. Shooting a 125gr. bullet.

Well all you need is a 125 power factor. I recommend you trying out a good round nose bullet. 158 or 160gr bullet, either Bayou or Billy the heavier bullet with a good round nose will help you feed the cartridges into the cylinder quicker than the lighter bullets. And it will make for a softer shooting load.

My 38 short Colt load through a S&W 686, I use 140LRN projectile with ADI AP50 powder (Between Clays & Int. Clays I believe? So go with Clays) making 130pf. Very similar to a 9mm load, would be a great starting point. Gives nothing away on accuracey for ICORE & IPSC over 38 Special.

140LRN/3.4AP50/130pf.

twiter,

i have a 627 and an early 586-0 both cut for moonclkips and use the Ranch Products mooclips in both (be careful since the later serial numbers of 586-0 cannot use Ranch products moonclips since S&W changed the cylinder reaming which resulted in ca .007" in difference). I also use the Ranch products moonclips in both a 686 and 627 factory chambered for 38 Super. Personally the fastest reloads are with the big fat 45ACP's in a S&W625 - big holes in the cylinder and gravity working for you. I think your technique has to be at the top of the heap before you can see the impact of reload speeds on your ascores. I sue the plentiful and inexpensive 38 Special brass for most of my shooting.