Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac-OPs optics options ?

RippSpeed

I'm currently building up my AR15 but dont or havent found a optic to use for this division ...

Here are the sights that I absolutely love the reticle

-Acog TA11E w/ green chevron

-Trijicon TR24G

-MeOpta ZD 1-4x24mm but I dont like the red reticle color

What else do you guys suggest ??? This is going on my 18" AR15 running XM193 55gr and 68 or 77gr Blackhills ammo ... I dont have the capability to do riffle reloads right now because I only have 2 dillon sdb's ...

Edited by RippSpeed

The Meopta is the most versatile in your line up because it has hold overs and a 1-4 capability. The ACOG is a no go for me as I don't like fixed magnificaiton. The TR24 is a good scope but its reticle limits its long range ability a bit.

Pat

The new Vortex 1-6 is in that price range I believe and should be out soon. I like the Swarovski but its spendy of course. You mightbe able to find a used S&B Short dot in that price range. The new Bushnell 1-6.5 is in that price range too I believe.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I'm currently looking at the IOR 1.5-8. 1.5 isn't ideal but I suck and need more magnification than my current 1-4x. I also have my eye on the Bushnell 1-6.5 and the SWFA 1-6(which hasn't been released just yet).

What other non battery operated reticles are there ???

None. You do know the Meopta is battery operated right? Honestly I would not worry about battery life too much. Carry spare batteries and if the reticle did go down on a stage you can still use the scope as a traditional one with a black reticle.

Pat

I'm currently looking at the IOR 1.5-8. 1.5 isn't ideal but I suck and need more magnification than my current 1-4x. I also have my eye on the Bushnell 1-6.5 and the SWFA 1-6(which hasn't been released just yet).

Where are you wishing you had more magnification? Just curious. What targets at what ranges?

Pat

What other non battery operated reticles are there ???

None. You do know the Meopta is battery operated right? Honestly I would not worry about battery life too much. Carry spare batteries and if the reticle did go down on a stage you can still use the scope as a traditional one with a black reticle.

Pat

Pat;

I suck / novice ... to be honest; I havent touch a scope since I shot with my grand father when I was like 4 or 5years old ... I seem to like chevrons on the trijicons and the meopta has chevrons on the bottom of the dot which I like ... but the power ( 1-4x ) and the red reticle is what I'm not liking ... My eyes prefer green and can zero on it faster.

There is a reason why red dots are red. Red works unless you are color blind to red. My Meopta ZD is outstanding. The reticle doesn't require batteries, only the illumination (which I use less often than I thought I would). I currently have about 25hrs on the original battery and still day light bright. The only other scope currently on the market I like better than my ZD is the Z6i (which I don't have the budget for). I dropped my TR24 for the Meopta, because I got tired of dialing ranges. If you always shoot inside 300 then the TR24 will get the job done, but in my neck of the woods we shoot out to 600 often enough to make dialing a pain. The Meopta has gotten the job done in every stage I have been run in the past year.

Where are you wishing you had more magnification? Just curious. What targets at what ranges?

Pat

The West Virginia leg of the Colt 3man 3gun is going to have skinny sammies at 350. Those are only 4" wide at the widest point :(AP_standard_lrg.jpg

The first part of the match in PA had 6" plates at 200, which is not a very difficult shot either but I couldn't see them very well. I have good (corrected) eyesight too but that stage killed me.

The rest of the matches around here usually only go to 100 so yes, I'm trying to buy a scope to use in one match because my ego can't take the beating.

What do you guys think of the Burris Mtac 1.5-6x ???

Excellent optic, but it does not have the 1x on the low end, which is more important than the 6x at the top. It is on my rifle built for Open, with a Burris FastFire. More magnification slows you down, especailly without the bi-pods, you see more wobble etc. There are a LOT of 3 gunners that stated out with too much magnification, including myself. I used the MTAC 1-4 at both RM3G and BR3G last year and had some of my best scores ever on the long range stages. There have been a few people that went with the MTAC on my recomendation but with some hesitancy on the size of the center dot and other minor "perceived" thoughts...they have all come back happy. I know of a few of the top guys on the Pro Tour have these on the backup rifles (to the Swaro) and after some practice and time, they have come to really like it. The MTAC 1-4 is still the best buy on the market for under $1000!

The rest of the matches around here usually only go to 100 so yes, I'm trying to buy a scope to use in one match because my ego can't take the beating.

I'm seriously considering doing the same (considering the Vortex 2.5-10) for the same match. I'm not sure I can see 4" poppers out at 400, even with 4x.

I'm seriously considering a higher powered scope because I'll be using Dueck defense RTS for up close targets...

It is slower. The side sights were a great idea when 1-4 scopes were not available. But when you run them side by side across the course, a 1-4 will always be faster than a higher mag scope and irons. The Open guys still get an advantage with a side red dot and a higher mag scope due to the function of the red dot and the bi-pod.

If you feel you must try it, then you should, but chances are you will end up where everyone else is who has tried it since good 1-4 and 1-6 optics became prevalent.

If I just had to have 6x on the top end of a Tac-Ops set-up...I'd be finding one of the new Bushnells.

Edited by MarkCO

don't man. That's a lot of coin for a few skinny sammies. Keep in mind that they won't have targets smaller than 2 MOA (I don't think they would at least) and they have to have targets iron sighted guys can see and hit. I just upgraded my barrel today, and got a JP with adjustable gas, rifle length gas system, and a comp for $300. I feel that's money much better spent, especially since I just put 3 rounds through a 0.39" hole at 50 yards! :surprise:

BTW, what trigger are you running? Switching from mil spec to a 2.85 pound timney made a huge difference for me..

Swfa.. I have the 1x4 hd and it is great for the price point. I am not that good, dont travel to far for matches and couldnt see spending 2k on a scope. I got mine in a deal with a mount, throw lever and the scope for only the cost of the scope. I am really considering going to the 1x6, but what i got seems to do just fine.

Matt

Any of those scopes will do. But I must say that is an odd selection out of all of the scopes available out there. Out of your proposed choices, I would choose the Meopta. I would NOT roll with a higher magnification scope and using side irons for close range shots. Does any big dawg 3 gunner even use side irons?

If you can spend the money, get the Swaro 1-6X, the Bushnell or the hopefully available Leupold 1-6X. If not my lowly Leupold 1.5-X still scoffs at every other scope having won a short range stage at the ProAm, Spartan Tactical, and the long range stage at Texas Multigun.

My humble opinion would be for the Vortex 1-4 power or the US Optics SN4. I have used both and love both. The SN4 is around 1400. There's a used on in the classifieds for 1000 which is a steal. My opinion (because thats all it is) is the SN4 is awesome and it would be my choice.

Pat

The West Virginia leg of the Colt 3man 3gun is going to have skinny sammies at 350. Those are only 4" wide at the widest point :(AP_standard_lrg.jpg

The first part of the match in PA had 6" plates at 200, which is not a very difficult shot either but I couldn't see them very well. I have good (corrected) eyesight too but that stage killed me.

I have some of those targets the furthest I will put them out for scoring is 100 yards 180 (max range I have) as bonus targets. You guys are hard core putting them at 350. Its possible but not easy for those without scopes and on the clock.

Pat