Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Single Stack QUestion

LRRP

I don't know the proportion but it seems like there are more .40 shooters out here than anything else. At least for new guns. You get major scoring and .40 cost and handling. I shoot .45 only because that's the gun I have and I don't shoot SS year round. That is a winter sport for me ;)

Later,

Chuck

Unless you're shooting minor (which everyone wants to try, but few stick with it or take home top prizes with for the same reason that few shoot Limited or Open minor), it's a tossup between .45 and .40.

Performance wise, there is very little difference, so most people seem to base their decision on whether they also shoot limited and whether they already have a gun in .45.

Personally, I'm a devoted .45 fan. The pluses are that it is THE most forgiving caliber to reload for, I can pick up commercial ammo that will run and make power factor, it's the traditional caliber, and those big holes are easy to score. I also already had a 1911 in .45 when I started USPSA, and I was three guns into it before I discovered the advantage of .40.

The BIG advantage of .40 is that you can run the same load in your SS and your Lim guns. No switching your press from LP to SP, no grabbing the wrong ammo, no having to separate your brass by caliber, etc. The sole disadvantage is that .40 1911s are pickier about ammo specs and you may or may not be able to run commercial ammo in a pinch.

If I was starting today, I'd have the same smith build a 1911 and a 2011 in .40 and not look back. But that advantage isn't enough to make me leave my outstanding .45s behind or give up the option of using commercial ammo in a pinch.

You don't see .38 super much any more outside open, and even there you see more 9. Brass is too expensive and hard to find.

Edited by bbbean

1st - 45acp it is what they have, it works, they already have the gear, they reload it and have they have the componets

2nd - 40s&w if you are shooting Limited, same load, a lot of people have moved to the 40s&w because of this

3rd - 9mm a distant third, minor scoring does not outweigh the 2 additional rounds for most (98%+) matches

Thank you very much for all the info, I appreciate it. Right now I am shooting an STI Trojan 38 sup in IDPA ESP. And I'm trying to figure out where and how I would fit into USPSA. So I'm trying to figure out if I should try to use the gun I have for both things or should I buy another gun specifically for USPSA.

Stick with the 38 Super until you are sure that is the division you want to stay in. Since you shoot IDPA it is a great gun to compete with. I normally shoot a 45, but I get a wild hair and will shoot my 9mm, 38 super or my 40 in single stack just for the fun of it. I shot the Monster Match in Frostproof last year using my 38 super. This was a ten stage match with over required over 400 rounds. That meant at least 4 reloads per stage. I had a ball and happened to win the Single Stack division. (There were 3 of us). Get a major gun (40 or 45) when you get tired of losing because of the minor scoring. Until then, just shoot all A's and enjoy it.

My 9mm 1911 should be here Tuesday (I hope).

I'm going to shoot SS minor for a while. No doubt that I'll go back to major and the 9mm will become an expensive plinker/practice gun, but I'm going to play with it and see what happens.

I shoot SS minor with my STI Trojan 9mm because that is the gun I own. I can't afford another pistol right now and all of my other pistols are 9mm anyway so I don't have to buy different ammo for it.

But, if I were just starting out I would get a .40. You could use it for SS and Lim10 and shoot major with it. And ,if you reload, you can download and use it as a great ESP gun in IDPA if you ever shoot that sport.

To answer your question, I have seen a mixed bag of both .40 and .45. A lot of it is preference and/or convenience.

Edited by jualdeaux

I shoot a .45 in SS but I'm awfully tempted to build a .38 super (I've got lots of brass so cost is not an issue). Up here in Canada it is possible to have stages that really favor the minor gun. We are allowed 9 shots from a position instead of USPSA's 8 per position. Couple this with more unloaded starts....

We recently had a classifier submitted that was going to be a 9 round speed shoot with an unloaded start position. Completely allowed by the rules but no major Classic Division (SS) gun would be able to class higher than A compared to a minor CD gun.

Started out shooting SS .45 using the same gun I used for IDPA CDP. I found out rather quickly that with my current skill level, 8 rounds were not quite enough. So I bought 10 round mags and now shoot Limited 10 with the same platform. Big difference. I still change mags in the same location in the stage, but with L10 I'm not at slide lock. :rolleyes: I also shoot a 9mm 1911 in IDPA ESP. Although my splits are a little quicker with the 9mm than the .45, my target transition time are about the same. For this reason I don't see any advantage (for me) to shooting minor in USPSA. YMMV.

I'm shooting SS minor with a 9mm STI Spartan and from what I've seen, most stages are based around an 8rd array, and minor just doesn't have a big enough advantage. I shoot it because it's what I have and I can't afford another gun. I enjoy shooting minor, and the 2 extra rounds do help sometimes, but you also have to factor in the points, and minor is a huge disadvantage if you're not shooting A's. If I could get a new gun today, I'd get a Trojan in .40.

• 5 months later...