Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensators & shooter perceived loudness...

Jin

which compensators are least disruptive to the shooter? i have the Miculek compensator...and as expected, it is terrible for people next to me; but to me...it seems pretty loud. i suppose this is a trait for any compensator that has many baffles?

after some matches, even with ear plugs + ear muffs, I get some ringing. I think part of my problem was that my ear muffs are old and tired.

searching on the web, i have seen mention of the PWS FSC and the battlecomp not being overly loud. it's probably because they are a hybrid of a flash hider + compensator.

but yes, i have been thiking about a suppressor.

Edited by Jin

which compensators are least disruptive to the shooter? i have the Miculek compensator...and as expected, it is terrible for people next to me; but to me...it seems pretty loud. i suppose this is a trait for any compensator that has many baffles?

after some matches, even with ear plugs + ear muffs, I get some ringing. I think part of my problem was that my ear muffs are old and tired.

Might want to get some better hearing protection, that ringing can be dangerous. I have ringing in my ear (tinnitus) all the time, possibly from the years of shooting and other things. Hearing loss is cumulative and it never gets better, only worse.

Tired muffs don't seat well. Also, you may want to check to see if your cheek weld is having some effect on the seal. I found some interference with my rifle stock and ProEars. Had to go to a low profile cup.

Later,

Chuck

gng4life,

thanks, i am starting to display hearing issues. if it is real quiet, like in my bedroom at night...i can hear distinct ringing.

last week i was at the range...i had changed out the miculek brake to an A1 flash hider, and was wearing some triple flanged ear plugs and some howard leight impact sports (going to ditch my older ear muffs). didn't bother my ears despite my cousin shootin his AR with a surefire brake next to me.

After RO'ing a fair number of 3-Gun matches the 2 comps I like to see come to the line on a shooters gun are the SuperComp from Go Go *thumb rest [generic]* and the and the SureFire Muzzle Breaks. Those seem to be the two that beat up the non-shooter the least.

You have to try the Spike's Tactical Dynacomp. It is the quietest. And it is very effective in controlling recoil. A have tried many of the more popular muzzle brakes and when everything is considered it comes out on top. I was pleasantly surprised !

Edited by Puma

I have a VAIS comp on my 6.5 grendel & the sound isn't nearly as bad as many other comps. Also, it doesn't kick up dust as much if gun is laid over sideways as do most of the regular comps. It seems pretty effective, also.

MLM

The Vais, Spikes, BattleComp, and a few others all have one thing in common; they have a number of small holes all around the outside which serve to vent gas in all directions. This seems to lessen the noise because it is spread out rather than being directional like the SJC and others.

I have a PWS on my AR and it is not quite as bad as some others if you are behind the shooter, but to the side of the shooter, it's loud.

IF you want to attenuate noise then the next best thing to a suppressor is something like a Levang compensator. It does very little for muzzle flip but it does redirect a lot of noise forward. I won't say you can shoot it without ear protection, but it's a fairly good improvement on a target crown or flash hider.

The battle comp directs a lot of the blast forward. When ROing shooters with them they don't seem as sharp as others. I have never used one do I don't know if that lack of noise translates to lack of performance. There is usually a trade off for everything.

Wear your hearing protection for the worst gun that you will be around. = its the other guns blast that can hammer your ears.

I don't like shooting with muffs on so I have the formed in place plugs. I keep the muffs for when I am watching.

Tinnitus is nothing to take lightly, At its worst it caused lots of suicides.

I have has some "Flareups" that was like my brain was sitting on a big speaker cranked up to amplify every sound. some sounds felt like an ice pick to my brain.

The pain and scream is not so much in the ears as its in the brain side.

Get Better Hearing Protection!

Most of the cause of my problem is from tools like saws and grinders. Teaching Sporting clays set it off after a long weekend with a large corporate class.

The battle comp directs a lot of the blast forward. When ROing shooters with them they don't seem as sharp as others. I have never used one do I don't know if that lack of noise translates to lack of performance. There is usually a trade off for everything.

Jesse,

Did you ever get around to comparing the "new" Miller comp to a SJC?

Jesse,

Man I knew somebody was gonna ask me about that. It is still sitting on my bench next to a pile of parts. I need an I house gun smith!

Jesse,

Man I knew somebody was gonna ask me about that. It is still sitting on my bench next to a pile of parts. I need an I house gun smith!

Don't you have a wrench?

Jesse,

Don't you have a wrench?

The comp is the easy part! It's all that stuff that goes on after the upper that slows me down. Especially when some of its missing.

Just unscrew one, put on another. What other stuff are you talking about?

I can't leave well enough alone. I am putting together a 16" middy upper with a pencil barrel, Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block, Samson evolution 15" handguard I had custom anodized green. There are a few local maches that only shoot 100 yards as well as the Pro Series so I'm gonna mess around with shorter and lighter.

I can't leave well enough alone. I am putting together a 16" middy upper with a pencil barrel, Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block, Samson evolution 15" handguard I had custom anodized green. There are a few local maches that only shoot 100 yards as well as the Pro Series so I'm gonna mess around with shorter and lighter.

Jesse,

In Kurt's absence, I'll slap you! :roflol:

I guess, since I don't practice worth a hoot, I don't see alot of advantage with so many changes. I'm just a hacker, not the Mayor. :lol:

The Battlecomp I've got isn't even close to as effective as my Titan, maybe as a rough guess 60-70%. But it definitely ain't as loud and it's a lot better than plain muzzle.

Jesse,

In Kurt's absence, I'll slap you! :roflol:

I guess, since I don't practice worth a hoot, I don't see alot of advantage with so many changes. I'm just a hacker, not the Mayor. :lol:

What can I say I'm a gear queer!

I am also one of these people that does not like the Muzzle blast of the SJC, I have used the Jerry's comp and it was ok, but I really like using the PRI quite comp, the recoil controll is on par with everything else. But it beats up the RO pretty bad with blast

Pics when finished. ;) I want to see that HG.

I'm surprised that the new Seekins brake has not entered the discussion, for a while it seemed like it was the end all be all of brakes and now I don't see anyone mentioning it.

CM