Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firearm shipping question

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-pers ons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

If I'm understanding this correctly.....doesn't this mean that by law I don't have to use an ffl for in state shipping? I understand the liabilities here, but am I interpreting this right??

Edited by 3quartertime
Title clarificaiton

• 3 weeks later...

And don't neglect to check state law on the subject, as it might have something to say (e.g. in CA, while allowed under federal law, such a transfer would be illegal under state law).

I got tired of all the looks and nonsense I got by informing some straight clerk that the package has a gun in it. I always let the FFL do it. Worth the price.

• 3 weeks later...