Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to do a fast Reload?

What do you mean the gun is "autoforwarding" how would that even be possible, he has to use the slide stop to rack it forward....am i missing something here?

M&Ps do it the easiest; Glocks are a close second. I've seen HK's that are fairly consistent, but you don't hear about it as often as with the two aforementioned brands...

Some folks claim it's all about the perfect angle; others claim that you need to wear the parts a certain way, typically by ONLY using the slide stop to strip a round off of a new magazine....

Having owned all three of the brands you named in your post I agree with you 100%. Here's the trick, They are designed that way from the manufacturer to send the slide home if a magazine with ammo in it is inserted; however, if you hit the gun on or about a 90 degree angle, the slide will not go forward. You have to hit it near a 45 degree angle.

I'm not sure what the manufacturer calls the feature but I'm almost certain it's a designe feature built into the weapons.

*shrugs* I've heard talk the 1911 isn't supposed to do this, but mine does it 75-80% of the time. Maybe my slide stop is worn. I'll have to try it with another.

I've actually never had it happen on any of my 1911s. Might in fact be a worn slide stop. On the base pad deal, I know for a fact it works on the Glocks with extended base pads, but I've never tried the M&P or the H&K with base pads so I can't speak to those.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to attempt to do this with my M&P. It was about 98% reliable for me, BUT, once I just started hitting the release, my reloads got faster because I wasn't tensing up and smashing the mag into the gun.

I wonder, though-- does that still hold true for those who have mastered the slide lock reload? I think we can all agree that sweeping the lock takes at least SOME time away from the reload-- even if it's measured in hundredths of a second, as Donovan suspects.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. If you are using your strong thumb to release the slide and it is happening while the weak hand is regripping, there isn't any time lost because you'd be waiting on your weak hand to regrip regardless of how the slide goes forward. It would only cost you time if you are waiting on the slide to return -- but you aren't, you're waiting on your weak hand to get back into position, and the slide will be ready and waiting well before your weak hand has finished regripping (whether it was dropped via release button or auto-forwarded). Right?

:sight:

I wonder, though-- does that still hold true for those who have mastered the slide lock reload? I think we can all agree that sweeping the lock takes at least SOME time away from the reload-- even if it's measured in hundredths of a second, as Donovan suspects.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. If you are using your strong thumb to release the slide and it is happening while the weak hand is regripping, there isn't any time lost because you'd be waiting on your weak hand to regrip regardless of how the slide goes forward. It would only cost you time if you are waiting on the slide to return -- but you aren't, you're waiting on your weak hand to get back into position, and the slide will be ready and waiting well before your weak hand has finished regripping (whether it was dropped via release button or auto-forwarded). Right?

Ehh. I think it matters whether you have to break your weapon hand grip to hit the slide stop or not. With a conventional slide stop, I can't reach it with my shooting thumb without rotating the pistol just a bit in my hand, which means I have to re-establish my grip before I can fire. I can, however, do that while I'm moving my reaction hand back to shooting position.

Ehh. I think it matters whether you have to break your weapon hand grip to hit the slide stop or not. With a conventional slide stop, I can't reach it with my shooting thumb without rotating the pistol just a bit in my hand, which means I have to re-establish my grip before I can fire. I can, however, do that while I'm moving my reaction hand back to shooting position.

Exactly what I was going to say-- it all depends on your hands and the ergonomics of the pistol.

In my case, on both Glocks and M&Ps, my firing grip will allow my thumb to prevent the slide lock from engaging (when I'm death gripping like a bad boy), but not disengage it with 100% consistency.

Now factor in the need for me to "flip" both guns a little to actuate the mag release, then "flip" back to a new position to index the slide stop, then "twitch" back into a firing grip as the support hand is also trying to nestle itself into place...

Perhaps with enough practice, it may not cost you any time. But it certainly seems like you're more likely to wind up with a screwy grip this way... Just as we try to eliminate shooting positions in a CoF, doesn't it make sense for us to eliminate hand positions during a reload?

Now factor in the need for me to "flip" both guns a little to actuate the mag release, then "flip" back to a new position to index the slide stop, then "twitch" back into a firing grip as the support hand is also trying to nestle itself into place...

Ok, if you're having to flip the gun for reloads then I could see it costing extra time. My strong thumb is long enough that no flipping is required to reload my Glock 34, so my strong hand never has to regrip. I did not consider those with shorter thumbs!

Assumptions make dumb posts, so there you go. :blush:

Ok, if you're having to flip the gun for reloads then I could see it costing extra time. My strong thumb is long enough that no flipping is required to reload my Glock 34, so my strong hand never has to regrip. I did not consider those with shorter thumbs!

Assumptions make dumb posts, so there you go. :blush:

I don't think it was dumb at all! :cheers:

Like you, I had not considered folks who didn't deal with the mag change the same way I did-- non-flippers in my case, and flippers in yours. We're equally guilty. :lol:

+1

We all get caught up in our own little worlds at times, so we fail to recognize we're all put together a little differently.

When I shoot my XDm, I consistently fail to go to slide lock. Not because I'm awesome at ammo management or calculating shooting positions, but because my grip makes the slide stop ineffective. So, whenever I reload and I've lost count of where I am in the mag, I have to rack the slide.

One thing that I can't seem to find in this thread is the consideration of the fact that most reloads are done while running. All of them if you shoot well, the CoF allows and you have a good plan in your head.

Another consideration is the game you're playing. IDPA is a different game.

Now that I switched to production (which is a lot more fun for me than limited), I see myself running while reloading, therefore looking at the next box or station AND at the pistol & magwell at the same time, in the same picture.

It seems to me that you can do all sorts of stationary reloading exercises while watching TV, but you're not preparing yourself for the real exercise: drop and reload while going from A to B as fast as you can, landing in B in a ready to fire position.

I can see myself doing this for hours in my backyard with my neighbors staring (they once called the cops on me, there was even a Mesa PD helicopter making circles over my house -kid you not).

Edited by NicVerAZ

I get what you're saying. However, i feel if you practice reloading at home and moving at the range, your body puts them together at the match. i've found my fastest reloads are done while moving. my mind is on hustling and my autopilot does the reload faster than my mind can.

dont get me wrong. any time spent on moving reloads is time well spent. but i wouldnt dismiss the usefulness of getting a couple hundred dry reloads in front of the tv each night.

IDPA is a different game.

IDPA is definitely a different game with respect to reloads, but the technique isn't too terribly different, even if your choice of when to reload is. A slide-lock reload requires a bit less force, since there's no round in the chamber, and it does force you to unlock the slide, but dry-firing speed reloads and slide-lock reloads is basically the same. (Reloads with retention do add an IDPA-specific skill into the mix.)

It seems to me that you can do all sorts of stationary reloading exercises while watching TV, but you're not preparing yourself for the real exercise: drop and reload while going from A to B as fast as you can, landing in B in a ready to fire position.

Stationary reloading exercises do prepare you for reloading on the move, just not as well as moving reloading exercises. That said, you don't have to move very far to practice reloading on the move; you only need to take a step or two.

I can see myself doing this for hours in my backyard with my neighbors staring (they once called the cops on me, there was even a Mesa PD helicopter making circles over my house -kid you not).

I think I'd call the cops, too -- if I wasn't practicing the same thing. I practice inside the house though -- by the bed, so the mags don't fall far and don't hurt anything.

• 1 month later...

I practice moving reloading while twisting my upperbody as I step either left or right. I do practice also while I'm sitting and watching TV.. Just mags movement from hip to the mouth of my grip ( muscle memory)

How much faster would you say you are at reloading a hi-cap mag versus a single stack? Assume both have a magwell.

Hi-cap I would say more muscle memory and half time less compare to single stack. When i change mag for SS I have to have a clear vision of it to be sure.

...there was even a Mesa PD helicopter making circles over my house -kid you not).

Give them a call if they keep it up. They're nice guys and don't want to be a nuisance. Some of the pilots shoot at Rio Salado. Well, seven years ago anyway.

A little chat would convince them that you're not some gang banger. I lived in a gang hotspot and they avoided my my house after I inquired about the "activity" in my neighborhood.

Believe it or not crime went down when they put in a half-way house on the next block.

They were probably just circling a hottie sunbathing in her backyard anyway.:devil:

DNH

I have a question concerning how to do a fast reload

example video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1c9eWpaG8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU3jceN4JAc

When you shoot the last shot...the slide rack back....then take magazine and insert in well...

my question is...when are you supposed to use your slide stop? with which hand and finger? Is it possible/safe to pull the trigger while slide is racking forward?

thanks

Sevigny is a machine....

I'd lay 10:1 that Sevigny doesn't touch the slide stop during that reload, but that his gun is autoforwarding instead when he seats the mag. If he is using it, it's with his thumb at probably the exact instant the mag is fully seated; by then, his support hand is re-establishing a proper grip and the muzzle is driving back towards the target.

As for the finger on the trigger at all during the reload-- NO. The last few inches of your presentation after the gun has returned to battery is when you can make contact with the trigger face and start to take up the slack-- but if you're asking this question, I strongly suggest you don't try that, either, and just wait for the gun to be fully on target before you worry about breaking the shot.

The real answer to your question of "how do you perform a fast reload" is simple: lots and lots and lots more practice.

Agreed. Practice, practice, practice. I need much more of that.....

• 3 months later...

I'd lay 10:1 that Sevigny doesn't touch the slide stop during that reload, but that his gun is autoforwarding instead when he seats the mag. If he is using it, it's with his thumb at probably the exact instant the mag is fully seated; by then, his support hand is re-establishing a proper grip and the muzzle is driving back towards the target.

As for the finger on the trigger at all during the reload-- NO. The last few inches of your presentation after the gun has returned to battery is when you can make contact with the trigger face and start to take up the slack-- but if you're asking this question, I strongly suggest you don't try that, either, and just wait for the gun to be fully on target before you worry about breaking the shot.

The real answer to your question of "how do you perform a fast reload" is simple: lots and lots and lots more practice.