Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever had a gun that fit you well just... Not agree with you?

nontactical

I traded for this beautiful 20ga Rizzini sporting clays gun. When I shoulder it, the beads are lined up perfectly. It feels great in my hands, has a great trigger, etc. Yet somehow I can't hit anything with it. I have now shot three games of clays with it on different days, and I'm shooting a good 10-15 birds below my average with it! It's going to be a shame to get rid of the thing because it's so pretty, but I'm at a loss. Anyone else ever experienced this?

Not with a shotgun, but with a handgun... Sig P229 was a excellent fit for my hands with all the controls at the right place, and the sights always lining up naturally any which way I pointed it. It was a wonderful gun for stand and shoot games like plates, but I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for run and gun games like USPSA.

Yep, a Ruger Red Label Skeet gun. I really wanted to like that gun, too. It was added to the "guns I used to own" list.

Nothing unusual about that happening, but I know it sucks. It is usually a POI issue, or maybe, like many shooters, you just shoot a light whippy gun like crap.

Edited by JD45

Yeah, I did check the poi, and I was bummed when that wasn't it. It's not the light gun issue, cuz I shoot my little 28ga as well as I do a heavy 12 within about 30 yards. Oh well, s several have said, it will soon be on my guns I once owned list.

Yep, I have this same relationship with my 34. Instead of fight it I am going back to the platform that works with me and not against me.

Yeah... It would be so much easier if the gun wasn't so darn pretty. I got kinda depressed today when I was taking the pics to post it online for sale.

Yeah, anything from Glock... With the exception of my G21 curiously enough. I carried a G22 while I was on SWAT and hated it.

I even got some personal attention from TGO while at the SWAT Round-Up to correct my grip on the 22... didn't work. Sorry Rob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, anything from Glock... With the exception of my G21 curiously enough. I carried a G22 while I was on SWAT and hated it.

I even got some personal attention from TGO while at the SWAT Round-Up to correct my grip on the 22... didn't work. Sorry Rob.

as soon as i pick up a glock, especially a gen 4, i go "ooh.. that's nice."

then i begin to fall less and less in love with it while i try to... you know... hit things with it. :blush:

as soon as i pick up a glock, especially a gen 4, i go "ooh.. that's nice."

then i begin to fall less and less in love with it while i try to... you know... hit things with it. :blush:

Yep, That's just about how it works for me.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Had a Ljutic Mono I shot trap with. Had a stock made to fit me so I could get the correct sight picture. Struggled with it for 6 months. For me it swung and balanced terrible. Felt like swinging a 2x4. Lost an average of 4 to 5 birds. Finally traded it off for a Perazzi. Scores went back up. Sometimes even if a gun fits you, it might feel better then what it was, but still not great.  

• 3 weeks later...

My Browning BDM feels so good in my hand.  Really good.   Lots of nice features.

But the trigger bites my trigger finger and it doesn't shoot in the same class as my XDM 3.8 or my CZ P07.  

Liking it just doesn't make it work.

• 1 month later...

Yes. My Rizzini Vertex. Patters awesome, fits awesome, looks awesome... it's the one that I wanted to love and was the go to shotgun every time I went to the safe. But when I get out to the field, I can't beat 21 in trap or 22 in skeet. When I pick up my 690, without practice I can get 25 in trap and 23 in skeet... every time. just weird.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 11:47 AM, CJW3 said:

whats the best distance to test POI at for trap guns?

Q? Are you a new trap shooter and using an open choke like Mod? Or, are you using a tighter constriction?  

I ask because If you check POI at likely trap bird distances of 40' with a tight choke (whether you're shooting / using a looser choke or not) I think you'd be well served.