Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saturday is the day to yet again say goodbye

Mikethor

Well time goes too fast. Almost eight years to the day or so that I put my little mate Stein to sleep. He was a German shepherd with the heart of a lion - luckily I still have his brother Thor who is still firing on all eight supercharged methanol fed cylinders.

Our 11 year old German short haired pointer has had problems with his larynx collapsing but can usually manage a short walk if it is cold. The last two days he has gone no further than 20 metres before stopping and literally gasping to get any air into his lungs, his quality of life has gone and in all fairness and respect to him it is time to join his old nemesis Stein up in those fields. The weather forecast is good for Saturday and a friend of ours who is a vet will come out in the afternoon and put him to sleep, damn this is hard I can barely read the keyboard with the tears.

My sympathies. :(

I'll take a pet over people any day of the week, so I'm with you on the difficulty.

You're doing the right thing, and I know you know that. Doesn't make it any easier.

Wishing you solace.

Kaiser the German Shorthaired pointer is now at peace. It was his time and he knew it, he usually hates having injections anywhere near his rear but today he did not even turn his head.He was struggling to breath just standing there so we had kept our end of the bargain and released him. The last two days have been hell leading up to this but now it is strangely peaceful (except Thor my shepherd who was in his run whining as he knew something was going on). Thank you all for your words and thoughts and keep hiting those 'A' zones!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry to hear of your pending loss... i also have a German Shorthair.. female.. she is 8 years old.. and beginning to slow down.. i love that dog... we had to put our 13 year old Yorkie down last december.... we decided to get a Mini Schnauzer.. we went to view some available pups.. we chose a solid black female - we named her Jolie

well, the young pup gave our older German Shorthair pointer the dickens... a young pup has endless energy & love.. so we decided to get her a playmate.. we got a black & white mini Schnauzer .. we named her Harlie.. so now we have 3 wonderful loving companions.. dogs are truly MAN'S BEST FRIENDS..

Dogs do not live as long as humans because they do so much good in their life, God wants them with him..

I am very sorry for your loss. I know it doesn't mean much but you are showing tremendous compassion having such respect for your GSP's quality of life. It is so hard to let go and do what is right for you beloved friend, you will be in our prayers. I'll ask my best buddy (chocolate lab Sam) who passed a year and a half ago to make stop by the fields and say Hi.