Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 load 1.125 and no way getting 21 rounds why in K40

Nuke531

First off , all my brass has been complete push through on drilled out egw undersize die. My old mags I was getting 21 in but we all know the problems with those. I took my base pads off my old mags with gram followers 3 have been shaved down to fit and 2 are brand new small mag. 3 springs are from my old mags, two brand new. I load short now 1.125 to 1.128 and I can get 20 in each mag but there is no way and heck I am getting 21. I even loaded them all up with 20 over night to see if that would help and still no way.

If the price I pay for having perfect running mags is to only load 20 I am fine with that they load so nice and lay nice and flat, but I know I have read others are getting 21, what am I doing wrong. Bullets are precission delt 180 FMJ. If anyone has any ideas I would love to here them so I can try.

Have you tried tapping the mag; both in the back and bottom to get the rounds to settle in better ?

I still use this technique to get the last rounds in. I know my buddy James was saying the same thing in the beginning and said he couldn't get 21 in. The last 20th and 21st round is definitely tough to get in, but... I've been able to get them in with a little slappin' and tappin'. Try it and see what happens ?

If you are using the new K40 magazines you shouldnt need to push the brass through the EGW U-Die before reloading. The K40 mags will work with "Normal" resizing that is done in the press. You should only need to do the full case resizing if you are using the old style magazines running a long OAL.

I have tried to tap on the mag starting at around the 15 round and so on until full but still only get 20, Im using fully resized brass because I ran about 2500 through the re-sizer already. After I seat the 20th round I have very little play left in mag. With 20 rounds loaded and loaded into my limited gun it takes a bit of a push to get it to seat. I would be happy if I can get just one out of the 5 to get to 21. Do you think it is limiting my round count my using re-sized brass?

Count the coils of your mag springs. Make sure you are using an 11 coil spring instead of a 13. If you are using a 13 coil spring it will consume too much space for 21 rounds to be loaded in the mag.

Yep counted the coil, I have 11 coil springs. I did also find a 10 coil spring in one of my .38 super mag and even tried that and it just seems to bottom out like it is hitting something. I am wondering if either I need to load even shorter or it is hitting on the lip where the mag and base meet. Just to also ask and make sure the 21 round base pads for the old mags are no different then the ones that go on the new K40 Mags right.

Silly question related question... When I stuff 22+ 9mm into my K9's the grams follower gets stuck at the bottom sometimes and I end up with a "salt shaker". I don't have any K40's yet, but I'm guessing the same will happen, specially with the rear spacer built in. What is the trick to guaranteeing that that the grams follower doesn't get stuck at the bottom? I've tried rounding the edges of the follower a little bit, but I'm still seeing "bite marks" where the magazine edge bites into the follower when it gets stuck at the bottom.

A friend gave me some advice that he used to do with his STI Mags. He said to take out the spring and follower and put base pad on and shine flash light down and look for any burrs or some areas that might need to be pollished up. I seem to get a salt-shaker on some of them at round 20 I think the spring or follower is chatching the lip where the base and mag attach.

I am able to get one of my new Mec-gar mags to load with 21. They may just need some more break in time plus I did clean up the bottoms with the base and mag connect with some polishing compound.

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a little out there but,

Take one of your mag's over to your vise. Put it in the padded vise down to about 1/2 inch from the base pad with the pad on and about 3 inches up from there on the mag and squeeze it so it is .1 to .15 bigger. Now try and load 21. Oh you need to squeeze front to back not side to side. That's rim to bullet if you know what I mean. Doing this will give you a little more room in the middle of the mag. Let me know how it turns out.

Koppi

The springs don't always unfold correctly on the bottom. When I re-assemble the mag, I push the spring in and pad on like normal first. Then I push the pad back off a little so I can see if the spring is sitting in the pad correctly. I use a small screwdriver and pull the spring to come all the way forward.

Other than that, it's all about slappin', tappin' and pushing the rounds in. The last few rounds are definitely a little harder, but they tend to go in. Of course new and perfectly sized brass stack up easier than poorly resized brass.

I can get 2 of my 5 mags to work with 21. I will try these other methods to see if I can get the rest to work. I tried to run a stage at the ohio sectional match with no mag change when gun was dirty, it did not work out so well for me. Othere then my installing my front fiber wrong and it flying off after the second stage. My Tanfoglio runs like a clock. I was kinda worried I would have to shave down my mags to fit the gage like the old ones but these ones fit with a little room to spare with no shaving needed.

Yes, with the Mec-Gar magazines and our 141 basepads they will fit the gauge. We did make some what we called the H-141O which are slightly larger and they will not fit the gauge. For the most part they are silver, but some are in black. Anyone who has gotten these basepads have been made aware of it so there's no "oh shit" when you go to Nationals and they bump you to open.. That would.. suck ;-)