Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do we have the sights we have?

Has anyone here shot a pistol with ghost ring sights on it?

38437.jpg

Ghost rings work great on rifles because your eye is right behind the sight and you don't really consciously have to align the rear sight and the front sight. You simply look through the rear sight for the front sight. On a pistol Ghostring sights still need to be alinged like standard sights so their not faster and they obscure more of the target. Not a good idea. I tried them for a while.

Pat

]

The problem with short sight radius is accuracy diminishes.

That's the conventional wisdom, and I doubt the Caracal folks are ignorant of it. Rather, they found that a short enough sight radius resulted in a much sharper sight picture, because both the front and rear sights could stay in focus at the same time.

I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for it, but it could work.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The new Optimized Duty Sight from R4 Evolution looks... interesting:

Glock-sites-ODS-lg.jpg

The ODS was designed to take advantage of the inborn hardwiring of our brains to instinctively find symmetry. These sights have three vertical and three horizontal alignment features that the eye automatically lines up while the operator is presenting the weapon to the target (see picture). This 3X3 alignment design allows for the most rapid sight alignment of any iron sights on the market. The Optimized Duty Sight was also designed to quickly give the operator a more refined sight picture (relation of the sights on the target) by the narrow profile front sight and the angled facets cut into the rear sight. These features enable the operator to see more of the target thru the sights while maintaining sight alignment thru the engagement. The luminous lines on the rear sight and the dot with vertical line on the front sight allow for precise sight alignment in low light environments.

I like that set up right above this post. If you just look at the lines, it looks like a scope reticle, which seems really easy to line up horizontally and vertically.

I feel like if there was an obvious set up that beats notch and post, we would have come up with it. Sights have been damn near the same since guns were invented. The biggest change will be digital before analogue

The new Optimized Duty Sight from R4 Evolution looks... interesting:

Glock-sites-ODS-lg.jpg

The ODS was designed to take advantage of the inborn hardwiring of our brains to instinctively find symmetry. These sights have three vertical and three horizontal alignment features that the eye automatically lines up while the operator is presenting the weapon to the target (see picture). This 3X3 alignment design allows for the most rapid sight alignment of any iron sights on the market. The Optimized Duty Sight was also designed to quickly give the operator a more refined sight picture (relation of the sights on the target) by the narrow profile front sight and the angled facets cut into the rear sight. These features enable the operator to see more of the target thru the sights while maintaining sight alignment thru the engagement. The luminous lines on the rear sight and the dot with vertical line on the front sight allow for precise sight alignment in low light environments.

That sight is hard to look at. I doubt it would help me

Lots of alignment cues. I like the idea, curious if there is any lab work that originated the idea, or if the " inborn hardwiring of our brains to instinctively find symmetry" is something they made up to explain & sell their idea.. I'd try it if it wasn't $120 and fit something other than Blocks.

I like that set up right above this post. If you just look at the lines, it looks like a scope reticle, which seems really easy to line up horizontally and vertically.

I feel like if there was an obvious set up that beats notch and post, we would have come up with it. Sights have been damn near the same since guns were invented. The biggest change will be digital before analogue

The beauty (and utility) of a conventional post and notch sight is in its simplicity. Anything else added or modified to its shape in an attempt to make it better just makes it a distraction or adds nothing of benefit. Kudos to those who try to improve upon it. But I think it's a futile endeavor.

after shooting my first red dot this weekend, I have to say I think the mini scopes might win out over irons. Especially if we can get them without batteries and at a reasonable cost. I ran an RMR red dot on an M&P, set up as low as it goes. I'm used to lining up and focusing on a front site, seeing the target and rear sight in the peripheral. But with this, I just looked at the target and the red dot would hover there. I found out quickly I was spending too much time looking at the dot, and the instant it was on the target I could drop the hammer and make the hit.

I think in a threat situation or maybe even competition, we would be more likely to look at the target than stay focused on the front sight (i'm guilty of that sometimes). So something projecting our eyes to it makes me think that's where we would be evolving in shooting.

Lots of alignment cues. I like the idea, curious if there is any lab work that originated the idea, or if the " inborn hardwiring of our brains to instinctively find symmetry" is something they made up to explain & sell their idea.. I'd try it if it wasn't $120 and fit something other than Blocks.

Funny, all of these points were my thoughts as well!

Has anyone here shot a pistol with ghost ring sights on it?38437.jpg

Ghost rings work great on rifles because your eye is right behind the sight and you don't really consciously have to align the rear sight and the front sight. You simply look through the rear sight for the front sight. On a pistol Ghostring sights still need to be alinged like standard sights so their not faster and they obscure more of the target. Not a good idea. I tried them for a while.Pat

Agree!

I have a set on a pistol also. I find that I must raise my head up a little to be able to peek through the ghost ring.

Not natural from a combat shooting standpoint.