Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Install Lightenened Striker Spring?

Babaganoosh

I have an Apex FSS kit in my 40 pro, a tungsten guide rod, and a 13 pound ISMI recoil spring in my gun. I run 2 different loads thru the gun. A 170PF load with 180 grain and a 135PF load with 180 grain.

I haven't run into any problems thus far but I have read many times that in order to balance the springs that I should install a lightened striker spring as well. I ordered one because I was placing an order anyway. It's a 4 pound spring. Not sure the weight of the stock one.

What say you?

I HAD one in mine...too many light primer strikes on WSP. Took it out. If you use Federal primers, you're probably good to go.

I have APEX triggers in all of my M&P's and think their products are great!...just not the striker spring

I have an Apex FSS kit in my 40 pro, a tungsten guide rod, and a 13 pound ISMI recoil spring in my gun. I run 2 different loads thru the gun. A 170PF load with 180 grain and a 135PF load with 180 grain.

I haven't run into any problems thus far but I have read many times that in order to balance the springs that I should install a lightened striker spring as well. I ordered one because I was placing an order anyway. It's a 4 pound spring. Not sure the weight of the stock one.

What say you?

Depends. If your slide does not go back into battery, then you may need to take a few coils off the striker spring. Interestingly, I had to do that with my first M&P 9mm. Apex Comp AEK trigger, RAM, and an 11 lb recoils spring. But I just got a new one--the exact same gun for a back up--and after installing all the same Apex stuff and an 11 lb spring the striker spring didn't need any modification. Runs great. Go figure. Every gun is different.