Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou 147 and N320

itotorica

I love N320 and use it for 40 and 45, but for 9, I will go with the cheap stuff

I think N320 is expensive. I use cheaper powder for all my reloading.

Cheaper????? When I calculated it out it is less than $10.00 / 1000 difference. It is cheaper than the primers and the bullets sent down range. As a matter of fact when I figure it the powder is the cheapest part of the whole equation.

4lbs n320 - 98.00

8lbs unique - 99.00

Last I checked 1/2 price powder was worth it.

All else held equal, why not go with the cheaper one? As I said, I WANTED to go to all n320. I loaded them up and couldn't tell a difference. Lots complain about unique being dirty, but I haven't found it to be so with my loads.

320 is often the most expensive powder. There will always be cheaper powder for those who like cheap.

VV spends a lot of money ensuring their powders are consistent from one lot to another. I use 320 in my 45, 40, and 9 reloading. I have not changed the recipe for each caliber in years. Each lot of powder has produced the same PF at Area and National matches for the past 7 years.

VV 320 does not smoke as much as some of the other powders used in our club. I feel like I am ROing a black powder match sometimes.

VV powders are very clean burning.

I spend about 1 penny on powder for my 40 load. By using another powder you spend about half a penny. That is not worth it to me for a clean burning, consistent powder as opposed to something else.

4lbs n320 - 98.00

8lbs unique - 99.00

All else held equal, why not go with the cheaper one? As I said, I WANTED to go to all n320. I loaded them up and couldn't tell a difference. Lots complain about unique being dirty, but I haven't found it to be so with my loads.

Your not looking at the whole picture.

Before you can make that assumption you need to calculate how much of each powder you are using per round. When I did the entire math, cost, grains, shipping, etc.... over the powders that I was considering it came out to $10.00 /1000 more. Not worth it to me.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119175&st=0&p=1348541&hl=vv320%20comparison&fromsearch=1entry1348541

#16 in the above thread.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

I find it funny that so many people talk about how "expensive" N320 is so lets do the math real quick to see how much more "expensive" it is when compared with solo 1000

(To give credit where it is due: I am pulling this info from a post Salilus made here http://www.brianenos...hl=salilus&st=0)

"When comparing N320 to Solo1000 I found the following information

N320 1lb: $26.00, with charge weight of 3.1 gives you 2258 loaded rounds.

Solo1000 3/4 lb: 14.99, with a charge of 3.8 gives you 1381 loaded rounds.

N320 cost per grain: 0.0037142

S1000 cost per grain: 0.0028552

3.1 of N320 cost 0.0115

3.8 of S1K cost 0.0108

1000 rounds of N320: 11.51

1000 rounds of S1K : 10.84

I think its worth it for N320 don't you?"

At 0.67 cents more per 1000 bullets... I think I will stick with my N320. I like consistent, predictable loads that are not that temperature sensitive.

Edited by Trident

4lbs n320 - 98.00

8lbs unique - 99.00

Your not looking at the whole picture.

Before you can make that assumption you need to calculate how much of each powder you are using per round. When I did the entire math, cost, grains, shipping, etc.... over the powders that I was considering it came out to $10.00 /1000 more. Not worth it to me.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119175&st=0&p=1348541&hl=vv320%20comparison&fromsearch=1entry1348541

#16 in the above thread.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

I find it funny that so many people talk about how "expensive" N320 is so lets do the math real quick to see how much more "expensive" it is when compared with solo 1000

(To give credit where it is due: I am pulling this info from a post Salilus made here http://www.brianenos...hl=salilus&st=0)

"When comparing N320 to Solo1000 I found the following information

N320 1lb: $26.00, with charge weight of 3.1 gives you 2258 loaded rounds.

Solo1000 3/4 lb: 14.99, with a charge of 3.8 gives you 1381 loaded rounds.

N320 cost per grain: 0.0037142

S1000 cost per grain: 0.0028552

3.1 of N320 cost 0.0115

3.8 of S1K cost 0.0108

1000 rounds of N320: 11.51

1000 rounds of S1K : 10.84

I think its worth it for N320 don't you?"

At 0.67 cents more per 1000 bullets... I think I will stick with my N320. I like consistent, predictable loads that are not that temperature sensitive.

My calculation yielded a difference of 3.69 per thousand difference. Granted, that isn't much of a difference, but when you take into consideration a fact that that you have yet to bring up - availability - it becomes enough to do it for me. N320 is notoriously hard to find. Unique is notoriously easy to find and get.

Even if it weren't for that, if all other factors were held equal (they are for me) why wouldn't you pick the cheaper of two alternatives?

My calculation yielded a difference of 3.69 per thousand difference. Granted, that isn't much of a difference, but when you take into consideration a fact that that you have yet to bring up - availability - it becomes enough to do it for me. N320 is notoriously hard to find. Unique is notoriously easy to find and get.

Even if it weren't for that, if all other factors were held equal (they are for me) why wouldn't you pick the cheaper of two alternatives?

So for $3.69.... and maybe you'll shoot 10,000 rounds this year your debating over $36.90???? You could easily make that up by buying bulk bullets or free brass or skipping one dinner a year.

Powder Vally has over 400 pounds of VV320 right now and 800 #4 kegs on the way. So....How much do you need for the next year or however long? I just bought 20 pounds = 30,000 rounds

But the factors are not equal, so I learned a long time ago to buy the best with what is important to me.... the reason.... I'm always happy with it regardless of price. And when the price difference is as small as this it is a no brainer for me. I'll pay double to be happy and I have many times. YMMV

Over $36.00 really????

320 was smoky for me, but that was with some moly bullets not bayou. I have a thread for pet loads that don't involve 320, as availability was an issue when I started it. WSF works well with the Bear Creek I'm loading currently.

As I said though 320 was smoky for me ... your mileage may vary.

What factors are you considering to be unequal?

I understand that they have the powder now. I just ordered more. Availability IS an issue with N320. There have been periods where it couldn't be had. Unique was always there.

Unique makes me every bit as happy as N320 in 9mm.

My question still stands - Why would you pay more if there was a less expensive option? So what if it is just a little cheaper. Feel, cleanliness, temp sensitivity, accuracy, etc are all equal for me. Cost and availability are clear winners for unique

Edited by latech15

What factors are you considering to be unequal?

I understand that they have the powder now. I just ordered more. Availability IS an issue with N320. There have been periods where it couldn't be had. Unique was always there.

Unique makes me every bit as happy as N320 in 9mm.

My question still stands - Why would you pay more if there was a less expensive option? So what if it is just a little cheaper. Feel, cleanliness, temp sensitivity, accuracy, etc are all equal for me. Cost and availability are clear winners for unique

The answer for you then is Unique. For me it's Vihtavouri - it's all I run. I anticipate my needs, buy in bulk and have never run short. I am very happy with their powder and it's not worth the fraction of a cent for me to change. I run Bayou Bullets exclusively - are their cheaper bullets? Maybe. I only buy Winchester primers - there are cheaper alternatives that go bang, but Winchester has never failed me and runs smoothly in my reloading equipment - which by the way is now a Dillon 1050. Sure Lee, RCBS, Hornady and Dillon have cheaper presses that some people think are equal....my point is that quality & equality are in the eye of the beholder. Consider Toyota & Lexus, they both get the job done and depending on your point of view, either could be the clear winner.