Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So why C-More?

feederic

I am pondering an open gun sometime in my future, and am wondering why C-More is top dog over other red dot sights? What is it exactly that makes it the red dot of choice?

I've been pondering that same question for the past couple of months while I looked for a replacement for my Tasco tube-style red dot. Here is what I came up with from my research and some actual shooting:

Pros:

* All the top pros use it.

* The 29mm objective lens on the CMore is bigger than all of the other red dots made by reliable manufacturers. OKO is 25mm, Aimpoint Micro is 20mm. The bigger lens makes it easier to find the dot on draws, easier to see the dot during recoil. I really like the reticles on the 33mm wide lens on the cheap BSA (and ton of other vendors) red dots, but I don't want to spend the money to test it's durability on an open gun.

* It's very reliable.

* The skinny frame around the lens obstructs less of your vision. Even when shooting with both eyes open, I find the less the obstruction, the faster I'm shooting on transitions.

* Ton of 3rd party frame mounts. Try finding a 3rd party mount for OKO or BSA.

* Multiple dot size options.

* Less expensive than Aimpoint/Leupold/OKO

Cons:

* Height above bore is higher than other red dots, unless you go with a 90deg mount.

* PITA to sight in.

* Short battery life compared to Aimpoint Micro or Leupold Deltapoint.

Even with all the "pros", I decided to try out the Leupold Deltapoint 7.5moa just to be different. And I didn't like the look of the side-mount Cmore.

I am pondering an open gun sometime in my future, and am wondering why C-More is top dog over other red dot sights? What is it exactly that makes it the red dot of choice?

I've been pondering that same question for the past couple of months while I looked for a replacement for my Tasco tube-style red dot. Here is what I came up with from my research and some actual shooting:

Pros:

* All the top pros use it.

* The 29mm objective lens on the CMore is bigger than all of the other red dots made by reliable manufacturers. OKO is 25mm, Aimpoint Micro is 20mm. The bigger lens makes it easier to find the dot on draws, easier to see the dot during recoil. I really like the reticles on the 33mm wide lens on the cheap BSA (and ton of other vendors) red dots, but I don't want to spend the money to test it's durability on an open gun.

* It's very reliable.

* The skinny frame around the lens obstructs less of your vision. Even when shooting with both eyes open, I find the less the obstruction, the faster I'm shooting on transitions.

* Ton of 3rd party frame mounts. Try finding a 3rd party mount for OKO or BSA.

* Multiple dot size options.

* Less expensive than Aimpoint/Leupold/OKO

Cons:

* Height above bore is higher than other red dots, unless you go with a 90deg mount.

* PITA to sight in.

* Short battery life compared to Aimpoint Micro or Leupold Deltapoint.

Even with all the "pros", I decided to try out the Leupold Deltapoint 7.5moa just to be different. And I didn't like the look of the side-mount Cmore.

Great detail here. Thanks neighbor!

I agree with all of the above pro's. I went with the slide ride mainly because I didn't really like the smaller sized sights and where they are normally mounted (to the rear sight dovetail in a Glock open). It really boiled down to bigger sight glass, and what worked best for me personally after trying as many I could. Being new to open, I wanted to test everything 1st hand before I dumped that much cash on my first build. Thankfully, Bobby Carver let me try everything he had in stock, and was a huge help in me finding out what did and didn't work for me as a shooter. I understand that not everyone is as fortunate, but if it's possible, my advice would be to try everything you can get your hands on and see what you like best.

I have a serendipity Cmore on my 2011 and other than replacing a failed module it's really been pretty flawless. You can change the battery without affecting zero.

We just installed a Leupold Deltapoint on my son's XDm, in the rear sight dovetail. Though the window is smaller than the Cmore, having it in roughly the same spot as traditional sights seems to make acquiring the dot very easy. The one thing I'm not crazy about with the Leupold is that you have to remove the sight to replace the battery. A friend has been using one for a couple years and says the batteries last a long time, but you probably want to change them frequently enough that they don't fail during a match. The Leupold does self adjust to ambient lighting, and turns itself on and off, which is nice. With the sight in a dovetail on the slide it's much closer to the bore than a Cmore. The Leupold isn't as easy to adjust as the Cmore. The two set screws use the same tiny little wrench that the adjusters use.

If I was building a new gun I would have trouble picking which way to go between those two sights. There are things I like about both of them. The Cmore is a much more time tested and proven sight for sure.

I have a serendipity Cmore on my 2011 and other than replacing a failed module it's really been pretty flawless. You can change the battery without affecting zero.

We just installed a Leupold Deltapoint on my son's XDm, in the rear sight dovetail. Though the window is smaller than the Cmore, having it in roughly the same spot as traditional sights seems to make acquiring the dot very easy. The one thing I'm not crazy about with the Leupold is that you have to remove the sight to replace the battery. A friend has been using one for a couple years and says the batteries last a long time, but you probably want to change them frequently enough that they don't fail during a match. The Leupold does self adjust to ambient lighting, and turns itself on and off, which is nice. With the sight in a dovetail on the slide it's much closer to the bore than a Cmore. The Leupold isn't as easy to adjust as the Cmore. The two set screws use the same tiny little wrench that the adjusters use.

If I was building a new gun I would have trouble picking which way to go between those two sights. There are things I like about both of them. The Cmore is a much more time tested and proven sight for sure.

If you like the smaller Leupold for the XD and other types of "stock" pistol, take a look at the C-More STS or RTS. It is smaller, the slide can be milled or dovetailed for the sight and instead of having to remove the sight to replace the battery, it has a little door on the passenger side. I use them on my open shotguns and as my secondary sight for open rifle and it beats having to rezero after the battery dies. This is a first rate small sight.

1337021931[/url]' post='1704907']

... The Leupold isn't as easy to adjust as the Cmore. The two set screws use the same tiny little wrench that the adjusters use.

I disagree. Get a good Torx wrench from Home Depot, mark an index point on the wrench and the zeroing process for Deltapoint gets much easier. Each tick mark on the DP will move POI 7.5moa. With the Cmore, no tick marks, no repeatable adjustments.

But Cmore and Deltapoint are both set and forget zero settings.

1337024479[/url]' post='1704919']

If you like the smaller Leupold for the XD and other types of "stock" pistol, take a look at the C-More STS or RTS. It is smaller, the slide can be milled or dovetailed for the sight and instead of having to remove the sight to replace the battery, it has a little door on the passenger side. I use them on my open shotguns and as my secondary sight for open rifle and it beats having to rezero after the battery dies. This is a first rate small sight.

Who mills the slide for a slide-mounted RTS or makes a dovetail mount for the RTS?

Who mills the slide for a slide-mounted RTS or makes a dovetail mount for the RTS?

I would suggest talking with one of the gunsmiths on this forum. They are first rate.

1337025290[/url]' post='1704932']
1337025169[/url]' post='1704929']

I would suggest talking with one of the gunsmiths on this forum. They are first rate.

I don't think it's possible because there is no room for mounting screws. That's why I asked. I think you'd need to mill a picatinny rail into the slide; which would not be as low as the other melted in red dots.

... The Leupold isn't as easy to adjust as the Cmore. The two set screws use the same tiny little wrench that the adjusters use.

I disagree. Get a good Torx wrench from Home Depot, mark an index point on the wrench and the zeroing process for Deltapoint gets much easier. Each tick mark on the DP will move POI 7.5moa. With the Cmore, no tick marks, no repeatable adjustments.

With the Leupold you have to remove the sight to replace the battery. You aren't going to get the battery replaced without having to zero the sight again, depending on the mount. If you have it on a mount where it is screwed down into the same position each time it probably isn't a problem. With one of the Leupold dovetail mounts it going to have to be re-zeroed. With the Cmore you can replace the battery without moving the sight.

There is also a click adjustment option on Cmore sights now.

I like the look of the STS and RTS. I also like how the battery is replaced.

With the Leupold you have to remove the sight to replace the battery. You aren't going to get the battery replaced without having to zero the sight again, depending on the mount. If you have it on a mount where it is screwed down into the same position each time it probably isn't a problem. With one of the Leupold dovetail mounts it going to have to be re-zeroed. With the Cmore you can replace the battery without moving the sight.

The procedure to change the Deltapoint is the same for all mounting options. There's a couple of index posts and a screw to tighten the sight onto the baseplate.or slide. I don't see how dovetail mount is more likely to lose it's zero than a milled in mount. But I haven't had to change a battery yet. I'd remove and replace the battery tonight to test the "loss of zero", but my gun is at the smith getting a new 9mm bbl and comp.

The click adjustment for the Cmore is for the dot intensity, NOT windage/elevation.

With regards to the STS battery tray, I'd be worried about the tray coming loose when mounted directly on the slide.

Check out post #20 in this thread to compare the Deltapoint and STS side by side:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132423&st=0

The procedure to change the Deltapoint is the same for all mounting options. There's a couple of index posts and a screw to tighten the sight onto the baseplate.or slide. I don't see how dovetail mount is more likely to lose it's zero than a milled in mount. But I haven't had to change a battery yet. I'd remove and replace the battery tonight to test the "loss of zero", but my gun is at the smith getting a new 9mm bbl and comp.

The click adjustment for the Cmore is for the dot intensity, NOT windage/elevation.

With regards to the STS battery tray, I'd be worried about the tray coming loose when mounted directly on the slide.

Check out post #20 in this thread to compare the Deltapoint and STS side by side:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132423&st=0

I own both sights, they're right in front of me right now. At least with the Leupold adapter for use with an XDm when you take the two screws out to remove the sight, the piece in the dovetail is free to move around. It isn't a tap in friction type fit. It you had the sight mounted to a solid type of mount like a Carver or something similar with two holes drilled and tapped in the mount, the sight would reliably go back on in pretty much the same position each time. I believe that Scott Springer was making a mounting plate at some point for the Deltapoint, and that is something we have considered. If you had something mounted solidly in the rear dovetail and two tapped screws for the mounting screws for the sight I think it would be superior.

I've seen a couple people using STS sights on open 38SC guns and I haven't seen a battery tray come open yet, but I suppose it could happen.

Edited by drysideshooter

Matt Cheely makes a mount for the RTS.. It's a frame mount like a slide ride. It gets it down on top of the gun like the sideways mount without the obstruction. I have one I'm going to mount to my gun when the RTS gets here and see if I like it. He's a dealer here, there's a thread about it on his forum page.

how about adjusting to shooting style with a raised mount with Cmore vs a leupold deltapoint that is melted in the slide? I almost want to buy both since I dont have anywhere that has these for display then return which one i dont want.

how about adjusting to shooting style with a raised mount with Cmore vs a leupold deltapoint that is melted in the slide? I almost want to buy both since I dont have anywhere that has these for display then return which one i dont want.

OR... just go to a local match and see if there is someone shooting both types and ask if they would let you check em out. Most of the shooters I know would be happy to let you see for yourself. That will probably save ya some time and aggravation down the line.