Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

John Eliot's book "Overachievement"

benos

(I originally posted this in the topic where I saw the book mentioned. But since the title of topic I posted this in didin't have anything to do with this topic, I moved it here.)

I just finished John Eliot's book "Overachievement." (I thought I'd seen it mentioned in the forums somewhere.)

Overall, I related to and agreed with the majority of his concepts. And would definitely recommend his book to anyone that would like to up their performance in any realm. I thought his comparison of the "Training Mindset" to the (competition) "Trusting Mindset" was especially valuable.

be

training_trusting.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy. So glad I saw that. For the last month, I havr been obsessong, calculating, experimenting, analyzing, thinking, practicing.

I have an upcoming match in a couple days. I just took a moment to think about where I am and what I want out of it. Of course, I want to do well, but more than that, I want tp be happyand have funand feel prepared. I don't want to feel tense at the line.

Then, I thought to myself, I don't need to be tense. I have put in a ton of effort and thought and focus. I have prepared. I have put in the work. I can't change anything now, nor do I need to. I just need to go, smile, breathe, look around and take it all in, and shoot. When I realized this, a calm fell over me. A tranquil feeling of confidence and stillness. I imagined myself at the match, with the sun on my face and an inner warmth and happiness. This image came to me freely and I did not force it, as I have been trying to do vizualizing stages and frontsights and grips and stances lately.

Then, I clicked on this thread.

Crazy. So glad I saw that. For the last month, I havr been obsessong, calculating, experimenting, analyzing, thinking, practicing.

I have an upcoming match in a couple days. I just took a moment to think about where I am and what I want out of it. Of course, I want to do well, but more than that, I want tp be happyand have funand feel prepared. I don't want to feel tense at the line.

Then, I thought to myself, I don't need to be tense. I have put in a ton of effort and thought and focus. I have prepared. I have put in the work. I can't change anything now, nor do I need to. I just need to go, smile, breathe, look around and take it all in, and shoot. When I realized this, a calm fell over me. A tranquil feeling of confidence and stillness. I imagined myself at the match, with the sun on my face and an inner warmth and happiness. This image came to me freely and I did not force it, as I have been trying to do vizualizing stages and frontsights and grips and stances lately.

Then, I clicked on this thread.

:D Nice.

Yes, to me the mindset chart has enormous implications.

Shot the match today. Tried to ignore metrics and details and just shoot. Did great. Got personal best, and on a plates stage, flew through 4 clean strings of plates at the fastest time I have ever done (by far). While I was doing that, it felt awesome. Just quick hits with no effort.

That made me think about the "next" miss and when it would happen, and if I could even go faster. Guess what happened. The next four strings had some bad misses and longer times. The mind is powerful.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the book "Overachievement" by Eliot.

The "Highly Motivated Underachiever" concept cleared up a lot of my conflict around the feelings I've had for "Corporate Team Building" and confidence building techniques.

Eliot's approach is about being COMPETENT NOT CONFIDENT. This means you practice so you know your skills and how to apply your skills, i.e. competence. There is less emphasis on being certain you can win i.e. confidence.

My doubts and fears aren't causing that mental pause in stages. When my stage plans don't work out I shoot through them smoothly instead of things falling apart. Failing gives me more information on what needs work rather than fuel to beat myself up over poor performance.

I am now more accepting of my nerves. As a result the nervousness doesn't increase. Yesterday shooting first on a stage didn't increase nervousness. I didn't even realize I was the first shooter. That was a big hurdle for me.

I also have a different perspective on practice. It's about improvement of my performance not beating someone else. I am more critical about what I am doing and I don't try to delude myself that I did a drill "clean" or "good enough". I just make note of weaknesses and work on them more.

The experiment continues.

Anyone else there read this book?

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here