Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental management for shooting sports, any reviews?

stuart1336

This week I have read with winning in mind and I'm half way through freedom flight. I'm really taken by Lanny and his system.

I'm tempted to buy Mental management for shooting sports as a download (postage to the UK is a bit slow!) but at $130 I thought would find a review first.

I can't find any. Has anyone bought it? Would anyone who has recommend it?

It has to be the most expensive CD set out there.

• 5 weeks later...

While Lanny might appeal to some folks, he puts me to sleep. I really liked the DVD Saul Kirsch made about Mental Management. Practically the same thing, but Saul gears it totally toword the IPSC/USPSA shooter, and not just shooters / athletes in general. He tells you how to break down stages, choose the right tactics for your skill level, and how to train properly.

All that on top of teaching Mental Management ............ :) it's a really good DVD. Check it out at Shooters Connection.

>>> Click Here For Link <<<

While Lanny might appeal to some folks, he puts me to sleep. I really liked the DVD Saul Kirsch made about Mental Management. Practically the same thing, but Saul gears it totally toword the IPSC/USPSA shooter, and not just shooters / athletes in general. He tells you how to break down stages, choose the right tactics for your skill level, and how to train properly.

All that on top of teaching Mental Management ............ :) it's a really good DVD. Check it out at Shooters Connection.

>>> Click Here For Link <<<

Saul Kirsch offers some of the best DVDs/training materials out there bar none. He's awesome. Bassham's style and delivery is completely different in many ways but very powerful and valuable too IMO.

Kirsch's DVDs are excellent. The mental management one is pretty dry visually but excellent from an audio standpoint. I listened to it in my truck during a trip this morning. Will watch the DVDs this weekend. Every time I spend a $100 on a set of DVD's, I feel like I've saved at least double that in ammo costs. Same with Matt's DVDs as well. I like them all. I still re-read sections of Brian's book on every business trip I take.

Joe

Is Saul Kirsh's DVD different than his book? I have 'Thinking Practical Shooting' already.

Yeah- one's a book, the other is a DVD so they are very different! roflol.gif

But yeah he has a bunch of DVDs- all awesome. There is some overlap but I'd recommend that you get them all!

• 3 weeks later...

This week I have read with winning in mind and I'm half way through freedom flight. I'm really taken by Lanny and his system.

I'm tempted to buy Mental management for shooting sports as a download (postage to the UK is a bit slow!) but at $130 I thought would find a review first.

I can't find any. Has anyone bought it? Would anyone who has recommend it?

It has to be the most expensive CD set out there.

Hi Stuart

I have most of Basshams books & CD's including the Mental Management System & the coaching system CD's as well & Im in the UK, postage is not that slow, I recently bought the new book written by Troy his son called Attainment which is also good, I have Saul Kirsch's books & DVD too, Steve Andersons book is also excellent & perhaps easier to grasp the principles being discussed & includes a list of the most common mistakes to avoid.

If you attend any of the four4islands matches in the UK I would be happy to let you take a look at what I have, before deciding for yourself.

N

Edited by Neil Smith

• 1 month later...

LMAO Neil,

I wish I had read your post a week ago. I was at your two gun "Help for Hereos" match and came 6th to your 4th!!!!

A few days after posting I bought Lanny's audi book so I have had it about three months. I drive a lot (2000+ miles a month) and listen to it most days. I reckon I have been through it over 15 times and each time I pick up something different or get a reminder of something I have forgotten.

As a review of the audio book Mental Management for Shooting sports I would say that the content is very similar to his book. If your on a budget just buy the book. There are very few differences. The actual recording quality is very poor and the sound levels from section to section for an expensive product are very poor.

For me I think it was just about worth the money. I learn quite well from audio and repetition. The content like his book is very good and I have seen some rapid improvements. It really has helped with competition. I'm a new shooter (just over a year) and found it very frustrating at competitons that the harder I tried the worse I shot and then I would give up mentally and shoot fantastic. Now understanding more about how my head works and how this relates to shooting has really helped.

The two gun match I have just shot is a good example of how things have changed for me. My preps were not that good. The three weeks before consisted of 10 days on holiday in Spain and one week of training. The training was five ten minute sessions with my airsoft rifle, a trip to the range to zero only to have my rifle break and about an hour of live fire shotgun. I mamanged to borrow a gun and set it up only to find my friend forgot to bring it to the competition! I should have been all over the place but I wasnt. I shared my friends rifle and decided to shoot to my plan and what ever happened stick to it.

The plan was to focus on the stage prep, working out the course, then when it was my turn take two deep breaths and just hit every target without paying any attention to speed and just see where the subconcious took me.

The first 3 stages went very well and the times were encouraging but I tried not to focus on them and instead focused on refilling my mags and my friends as he was the RO. On the fourth stage I deviated from the plan. I though the first 5 steels I could take easily and decided to do them as fast as I could. The result was two misses and a fumbled reload afterwards. I realised I should get back on the plan and dismissed the stage as "Not like me" and the rest of the day went very smoothly and I had my best result ever. I must also say I enjoyed this competition more than any other as a result. When you concentrate on the performance and not the result it kind of frees you up to enjoy it more.

I beat some people I know can out shoot me with a rifle or shotgun just because I had a system to put it altogether on game day.

I have Steve Andersons books and have adapted them to shotgun drills. Sauls would be next on my list and perhaps I could get a look at them, Neil, if you are going to the Steel challenge at Shield. That should be a good match and we will see afterwards if people still make fun of me using an airsoft to practice with my BAM airsoft targets ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

LMAO Neil,

I wish I had read your post a week ago. I was at your two gun "Help for Hereos" match and came 6th to your 4th!!!!

A few days after posting I bought Lanny's audi book so I have had it about three months. I drive a lot (2000+ miles a month) and listen to it most days. I reckon I have been through it over 15 times and each time I pick up something different or get a reminder of something I have forgotten.

As a review of the audio book Mental Management for Shooting sports I would say that the content is very similar to his book. If your on a budget just buy the book. There are very few differences. The actual recording quality is very poor and the sound levels from section to section for an expensive product are very poor.

For me I think it was just about worth the money. I learn quite well from audio and repetition. The content like his book is very good and I have seen some rapid improvements. It really has helped with competition. I'm a new shooter (just over a year) and found it very frustrating at competitons that the harder I tried the worse I shot and then I would give up mentally and shoot fantastic. Now understanding more about how my head works and how this relates to shooting has really helped.

The two gun match I have just shot is a good example of how things have changed for me. My preps were not that good. The three weeks before consisted of 10 days on holiday in Spain and one week of training. The training was five ten minute sessions with my airsoft rifle, a trip to the range to zero only to have my rifle break and about an hour of live fire shotgun. I mamanged to borrow a gun and set it up only to find my friend forgot to bring it to the competition! I should have been all over the place but I wasnt. I shared my friends rifle and decided to shoot to my plan and what ever happened stick to it.

The plan was to focus on the stage prep, working out the course, then when it was my turn take two deep breaths and just hit every target without paying any attention to speed and just see where the subconcious took me.

The first 3 stages went very well and the times were encouraging but I tried not to focus on them and instead focused on refilling my mags and my friends as he was the RO. On the fourth stage I deviated from the plan. I though the first 5 steels I could take easily and decided to do them as fast as I could. The result was two misses and a fumbled reload afterwards. I realised I should get back on the plan and dismissed the stage as "Not like me" and the rest of the day went very smoothly and I had my best result ever. I must also say I enjoyed this competition more than any other as a result. When you concentrate on the performance and not the result it kind of frees you up to enjoy it more.

I beat some people I know can out shoot me with a rifle or shotgun just because I had a system to put it altogether on game day.

I have Steve Andersons books and have adapted them to shotgun drills. Sauls would be next on my list and perhaps I could get a look at them, Neil, if you are going to the Steel challenge at Shield. That should be a good match and we will see afterwards if people still make fun of me using an airsoft to practice with my BAM airsoft targets ;-)

That and I would add to just call every shot. When I do that And stick to my plan and not worry about how someone else is shooting I do well. I plan on picking up Saul Kirsh's DVD today I hope it helps!! I'm all about saving and not wasting time and doing it right!

• 6 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...