Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping brass vs Custom Laws

After considerable thought I decided to share this with the forum. Trying to make a very long story short….be VERY careful shipping reloading supplies! I will briefly explain.

I recently shipped a large USPS Priority box full of 38 Super brass to a friend of mine in South Africa. I was trying to help him out as brass is hard for him to attain. The brass was once fired, cleaned and polished. When I mailed the brass I checked with the Post Office clerk, explained the contents and noted the same on the Customs form. I paid the $50 and sent the package on its way. Weeks passed …no package!

Last week I received a US Customs letter informing me that I had violated several laws. Title numbers galore, to include Export and Dealers subsection violations. They even included some laws covered under the US Munitions act. Basically…..I was in trouble.

I managed to contact the US Customs office (Chicago) the next day and had a lengthy discussion with the paralegal. To summarize the conversation, here are my options;

1. Get a lawyer

2. Appeal via paperwork and perhaps receive a fine up to $250 and either lose or gain possession of the brass

3. Return forms stating I wish to abandon the brass and the matter drops.

4. Ignore all and it all goes away, including the brass.

So, regardless of which route I choose my point is this make darn sure you know the laws. I trusted the Post Office (big mistake). I thought it was harmless and had no clue as to the laws that were violated. If in doubt contact the Customs office!

Steve :cheers:

Edited by Bigpops

I would NEVER ship anything firearm or military related internationally, including small things like range bags, reloading dies, and belts. If it was necessary, find yourself an agent to handle things for you, but odds are this will be incredibly expensive.

One advantage of living in CA is you know to NEVER trust the government to give you legal advice. Always find a legal expert to consult with first.

OP, I wish you the best of luck in this matter. It sounds like if you are willing to forfeit the brass things will be ok on your end.

Its too bad the laws are the way they are.

I'm in Canada and have to jump through hoops to try and get most things out of the US.

You can export firearms and parts but need the appropriate paperwork and in many cases have to go through an FFL.

What you can ship on your own without any issue or paperwork is equipment such as range bags, belts, holster, mag pouches/shell caddies, reloading equipment (not components).

• 1 month later...