Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup Gun

Like the example above, shoot the heavy gun for the distance and oh no it breaks right before the hosing stage and you swap it out for a light gun then fix the original gun before the next long stage.

You can't go back to the original gun, even if you fix it. Once you switch guns (with Range Master approval), you're not allowed to switch back again. I could look up the rule and cite it here, but I'm too tired after shooting my Tuesday night USPSA local match! :cheers:

I know you can't which is why the sentence above stated "I really don't see a match director having a problem with the switch as long as you stay switched"

• 3 months later...

I've enjoyed this thread. As someone who has only been shooting Limited Major for about a year (and sporadically at best with too many kids activities going on), I've learned some good info that I wasn't aware of.

But like a few others have said, I also bring a back up. As of now I shoot a Sig P226 .40s&w X-5 Competition (with extended basepads and aftermarket magwell to try to be somewhat competitive), but I also bring an EAA Witness Elite Match .40s&w as back up. If something goes wrong with my main gun (which so far hasn't happened), I don't want to have to sit and watch.

• 1 month later...

Necrothread, but...

My backup is basically identical to my primary-- just no KKM barrel.

If my main fails (M&P), it's going to be something serious, or a PITA to fix at the range. (Hammers, roll pin punch, work block, slave pins... Ugh.) So to the backup we go.

Have a STI ans SVI for limited. G34 and G17 for production and several 1911s that I have used in SS. It pays to have 2 for the division that you are shooting like most have said if one breaks your still in the match.