Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for 3 gun optic advice SWFA vs Leupold

2nd year in 3 gun, bought a SWFA 1-4 donut reticle, got a good deal on it, and I love the reticle but I am having issues with it...working on double checking mounting, etc to make sure its not me.... issues with zeroing, however I wondered if anyone has tried the

leupold vx-r 1.25-4x20 for 3 gun? I have always run leupolds and actually was running a leupold 2-7 when i started 3 gun bc it was all that I had. It works great but I want something with a donut style reticle for quick target aquisition....I have been looking at other options in case I can't get my SWFA working..

Can anyone offer some knowledge on the leupold, or thoughts on my current scope? I also wondered if a 1.25 power was much disadvantage to an acutual 1 power

I have the 1.25 x 4 pig scope. Works well and holds zero but I really would rather have it be true 1 power. I used it on my 308 for the Tx Mutligun match a couple of weeks ago. It is very clear on the 500 yd targets. For the close stuff I just let the dot go in the brown and pulled the shot. I have been shooting irons or a dot for the last couple years. I had a little trouble getting used to the magnification. I haven't tried the SWFA scopes but have not heard alot of good about them. I am thinking of trying the Vortex 1-4 next.

Mike

There are some good posts on this already, but the Burris MTAC or Tac30 are great scopes for low cost and have an excellent ballistic drop donut reticle. Search on this forum for either of them and you'll find plenty of reading material.

Russ,

Its Matt form the BOTW monthly matches.... Call swfa about that scope. Maybe the guy you bought it from too, see if he had issues and passed a lemon on to you.

I zeroed my swfa and have not had an issue. Made a ton of difference in th long range and even the mid range stuff for me.

There is generally nothing wrong with the new swfa 1x4 hd. Yours is the first one that i have heard of that has issues from those that I know that has anyissue. I would think swfa would make it right.

If you dont stick with it, look at the mtac... Lost of folk talking about it and value at its price point.

Matt

Thanks guys, and thanks Matt, I am going to put it in my larue mount i just ordered and I am going to try to spend one more range day on it and if I cant get it I am going to take to SWFA since they are local and see if they can look at it. I went and checked out that leupold and I really just like my swfa...I got to find a way to make it work. Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it turns out.

Matt do you think since I am running it on my 14 bushmaster with front sight post/gas, that maybe that could cause some problems, you can see the front sight in the scope.... this is a temporary setup until I get my other rifle which is hopefully soon. I have been running this rifle for the last 3-4 months with no problems with my other scope but you cant see the post in that one, just curious

I am not sure about the post screwing it up, but if it throws your line of sight, then there is something to it. What did you zero it at?

Put it in the larue, and re zero.

If you were closer, l would sit at the range with you to figure it out. Ni may be bored enough to do it any way..

I've run 2 different SWFA 1-4x on two different rifles for just over a year now with no problems. Larue 2011, Larue 2012, FB3G, local 3gun, local carbine, training course, range time...........My only complaint with the scope is that it isn't an Aimpoint on 1X. :)

Both set and have held zero with no problems, both in Larue mounts.

Edited by AustinWolv

I ran the Patrol 1.25-4

nice scope

just got their new VX6 1-6 with the same reticle

it's not officially available yet but will be in about a month

was shooting it today, great scope