Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Now what... Another crazy find... HELP AGAIN 1050 & 650

Hey guys I am back with more Dillon finds and questions!

I ran into an old friend whos father is going to give me a nice little deal on some more Dillon stuff.

He has a 1050 (the older model) and a new in box 650.

I just sent my 650 into Dillon (the one I was talking about a few days ago) to get fixed! I am looking for assistance in what to do here.

I will be getting the 1050 as well as another 650 giving me a 1050 and 2 650's... I seriously do not think I will need all of this (since I havent even loaded my first round yet)... by the way, all three have case feeders!

What I am looking for are your thoughts on what I should keep? I have all the dies I need for the 650's... If I keep both of those, I can set up my load room with each... one as a small prime machine and one as a large primer machine. Since all the dies and stuff are quick swap with powder drops this seems to make the most sense...??

On the other hand, I can sell the 1050 and buy all my additional reloading crap... powders, bullets, and probably a bullet feeder and have gotten the two 650's for no invested money!

OR...

Do I sell one of the 650's and keep one 650 and the 1050? The issues I see with that is that I will need all new dies for the 1050 + all the other crap (shell plates etc that I don't have).

I am dazed and confused with this. I will still be able to sell one of the 650's to pay for extra stuff but, the total investment will not be re-cooped

OR...

Do I act like a total ass and keep all three? I think this seems like over kill but, I could keep one as a rifle only loader and set up the other two for hand gun loading.

Talk some sense into me and please give me some recommendations... I need them! What ever way I go... its def been a great week for finding stuff!

How many calibers do you shoot? Setup one machine for each.

I'll take one of those 650s off your hands for a couple hundred bucks...

I typically shoot two... 9mm & 45acp however, I do shoot 10mm, and 357 as well... just now as much.

I also shoot 223 when I am at the rifle range

Might take more than a few hundo for a 650 with case feeder:)

Parts for the 1050 are going to be much more expensive then the 650, plus since its an old 1050 it might need some updating/tune up. I also seem to recall the 1050 did not have the No BS warranty like the 650.

Personally I'd sell the 1050, which is meant to crank out large numbers of rounds, way more then most of us would need and trick out the 650s with the proceeds of the sale.

I agree with JDPHOTOGUY. The 1050 will probably be more of a financial drain that it would be worth when compared to the 650s. Two 650s would give you a commoninality of parts and conversion kits that you would not have with two different machines. You would also have the advantage of working with identical machines rather than having to keep up with the differences between the 650 and 1050.

My suggestion is simple.

Mount the 1050 to the bench and test drive it for a month.

Then revisit this thread and tell us which, if any you'll be parting with.

As for the concern that the 1050 will somehow be a more costly item to keep running, I have to say that's not really a concern. The parts that you might have to replace due to wear are cheap. (As in I doubt you'd spend $25 in a year.) The parts that might eventually fail due to fatigue will have given you such great service that I doubt you'd care about the $$ to replace them.

For the record, I've owned 1050's for 10 years. The only parts I've needed to replace were toolhead springs ($8), and the indexing pawl and spring ($5)

You mentioned that you haven't loaded anything yet. There's your starting point. Your answer will reveal itself as you get more experience loading. Unless you need the money urgently, start loading and relax. You sound like the man who had so much food that he starved because he couldn't decide what to eat first. :D:cheers:

I have never had any problem getting help from Dillon with my 1050. I get the impression since the 1050 is a commercial machine and a commercial reloader can wear one out in a year or so they didn't want to give the impression they would replace them indefinitely. I have broken parts and even had a primer tube light off and still got all the part free of charge. My machine is over 10 years old and I am not the original owner.

I would suggest selling both 650s and get a 550 without a case feeder. Set up the 1050 for what you shoot the most and spend the money you made to get complete toolheads for each of the other calibers. 500s are cheaper and quicker to reload for begging reloaders and I don't know that I would even mess with the 1050 until I knew more as it is a lot more complicated of a machine.

Lee

Cundiff, how many rounds per year do you shoot

of each of those five calibers?

How much time per month do you have to reload?

You mentioned that you haven't loaded anything yet. There's your starting point. Your answer will reveal itself as you get more experience loading. Unless you need the money urgently, start loading and relax. You sound like the man who had so much food that he starved because he couldn't decide what to eat first. :D:cheers:

Great feedback on the whole thread here guys... Just to answer a few of the questions that were posed above...

I typically shoot 3 times per week... sometimes more, sometimes less... Also, I usually shoot what ever I have laying around my house... to be honest it mostly 9mm but, thats only because of cost vs what I would like to shoot. I shoot a ton of .22lr but,, that is really irrelevant for this thread.

Young, you are correct... I have not loaded anything... I am not talking about on these presses... I am talking about ever, in my life. I have read up on a ton of books and walked through the process with my uncle on his 550 but, I am brand new to this stuff. Most would ask, why the hell I would buy all this stuff if I have not reloaded but, give the investment vs what I can sell these for it made no sense to not pick them up... I probably have 300 bucks in the three presses and case feeders, tumbler, 5 powder drops (and sensors), dies, etc.

My thought was the worst case I can sell these for a nice profit and just buy ammo or more firearms.

I am also working on starting a shop/getting an FFL/firearm company so these are just things that I think would be good to have in the back of our place....

I think You are looking at it right. I see lots of people set up $700 reloading setups because they can save 4$/round in 300 Win Mag but only shoot 20 rounds in that caliber a year. I would start with 9mm and feel it out - that can be don't on a SDB, 550 or 650. I had probably loaded 50k rounds when I found a deal on a 1050 and there was still a learning curve.

I cast for all my pistol calibers and have lowered my cost per round at around .04$ which is why I can afford to shoot as much as I do. I have a 1050 set up for my "primary" caliber - .40 and a 550 set up for the others 9mm, 38, .223 etc. intue future what you plan to load matters. A 1050 costs around $400 to convert and that is if you don't have to convert the priming system. A 550 costs ~$200 with dies.

Someone only me if you think you need a 1050 then you don't. By the time you get there you will know, but if you can afford one you will smile every time you sit down to reload. I have found this to be true. If it was not for mechanical primer seating I would have sold it though and went with the 550 exclusively.

Lee

Hey guys I am back with more Dillon finds and questions!

I ran into an old friend whos father is going to give me a nice little deal on some more Dillon stuff.

He has a 1050 (the older model) and a new in box 650.

I just sent my 650 into Dillon (the one I was talking about a few days ago) to get fixed! I am looking for assistance in what to do here.

I will be getting the 1050 as well as another 650 giving me a 1050 and 2 650's... I seriously do not think I will need all of this (since I havent even loaded my first round yet)... by the way, all three have case feeders!

What I am looking for are your thoughts on what I should keep? I have all the dies I need for the 650's... If I keep both of those, I can set up my load room with each... one as a small prime machine and one as a large primer machine. Since all the dies and stuff are quick swap with powder drops this seems to make the most sense...??

On the other hand, I can sell the 1050 and buy all my additional reloading crap... powders, bullets, and probably a bullet feeder and have gotten the two 650's for no invested money!

OR...

Do I sell one of the 650's and keep one 650 and the 1050? The issues I see with that is that I will need all new dies for the 1050 + all the other crap (shell plates etc that I don't have).

I am dazed and confused with this. I will still be able to sell one of the 650's to pay for extra stuff but, the total investment will not be re-cooped

OR...

Do I act like a total ass and keep all three? I think this seems like over kill but, I could keep one as a rifle only loader and set up the other two for hand gun loading.

Talk some sense into me and please give me some recommendations... I need them! What ever way I go... its def been a great week for finding stuff!

Have you considered taking up a career as a gold prospector?

well, I hope you played a few lotto numbers, a streak like that should be pushed.

miranda

Very simple.

1050 set up in 223. Having the primer swage is so important for reloading 223 /5.56.

650 set up in 9mm ( small primers )

650 set up in 45ACP ( large primers )

However, the change over on the 650 is not that big of a deal so if you are looking to consolidate, sell the 650 in the box and just get the conversion stuff. If space is a concern, that is what I'd do. I learned on a 1050 so I don't think they are that bid of a deal.

Cundiff, how many rounds per year do you shoot

of each of those five calibers?

How much time per month do you have to reload?

Great feedback on the whole thread here guys... Just to answer a few of the questions that were posed above...

I typically shoot 3 times per week... sometimes more, sometimes less... Also, I usually shoot what ever I have laying around my house... to be honest it mostly 9mm but, thats only because of cost vs what I would like to shoot. I shoot a ton of .22lr but,, that is really irrelevant for this thread.

Young, you are correct... I have not loaded anything... I am not talking about on these presses... I am talking about ever, in my life. I have read up on a ton of books and walked through the process with my uncle on his 550 but, I am brand new to this stuff. Most would ask, why the hell I would buy all this stuff if I have not reloaded but, give the investment vs what I can sell these for it made no sense to not pick them up... I probably have 300 bucks in the three presses and case feeders, tumbler, 5 powder drops (and sensors), dies, etc.

My thought was the worst case I can sell these for a nice profit and just buy ammo or more firearms.

I am also working on starting a shop/getting an FFL/firearm company so these are just things that I think would be good to have in the back of our place....

You did very well my friend, all for $300. Impressive:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD