Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best OAL w KKM

fiddler

I got a new KKM barrel for my M&P Pro9. I just couldn't wait for the Bar-Sto.

I did the barrel check for OAL with MG 147s and they fit, spin and drop free all the way out to the max COAL of 1.169.

My question is do I work up a load at the max length? Have any of you found an optimum OAL that is shorter for the KKM barrel? What is the best way to work up a load when you have two variables; charge weight and OAL?

I'm using WSF and 147gr Montana Gold FMJ bullets in my M&P Pro9.

You also need to check and see if the max length loads will fit and feed in your magazines. While they may fit your barrel they may be too long for your magazines

They cycle by hand just fine from my magazines. I think I'll load up a few at various charge weights and see what kind of velocities and accuracy and function I get.

Edited by fiddler

I just loaded a batch of MG 124gn CMJ rounds for my Storm Lake barrel and I'm starting with an OAL of 1.180". This is in an M&P Pro as well.

My approach is set OAL to be ~.010" off the rifling of the barrel then work up the charge from published data to get the velocity you need. I've been using 4.5gn WSF with Berry's 124gn but backed off to 4.3gn to start with for the MG.

I just loaded a batch of MG 124gn CMJ rounds for my Storm Lake barrel and I'm starting with an OAL of 1.180". This is in an M&P Pro as well.

My approach is set OAL to be ~.010" off the rifling of the barrel then work up the charge from published data to get the velocity you need. I've been using 4.5gn WSF with Berry's 124gn but backed off to 4.3gn to start with for the MG.

I'm confused. 1.18 is longer than the 1.169 standard. 4.5 is above the max load in the Winchester data. Is this ok? Is it safe?

Thinking - 4.5 might be ok for your 124s, I'm quoting data fro 147s. I don't know.

Someone school me, please.