Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold Epiphany

mcracco

Just got in my first batch of Montana Gold and you know how the company got it's name? The bullets are made in Montana and they are gold in color! :D I always amaze myself when I am able to grasp the obvious.

I've been seeing some funny things happening with Berry's 9mm so I wanted to try some other brands/designs. The MG's look great for a jacketed bullet and I also have some Precision poly's coming. Precision is dreadfully slow to ship so I wonder how that will work long term.

Will post an update after I do some testing.

I'm also interested in your test results.

I'd like to try MG as well - I just don't like having to buy 1,000 of them as a "test".

I called to ask if they sell smaller quantities so I could try a few of their different bullets before I buy a case or two.

Nope - minimum is 1000.

Tom

I'm also interested in your test results.

I'd like to try MG as well - I just don't like having to buy 1,000 of them as a "test".

I called to ask if they sell smaller quantities so I could try a few of their different bullets before I buy a case or two.

Nope - minimum is 1000.

Tom

There are a few other places that sell by 100/250/500 packs. Of course the per-bullet prices are higher but you are not loaded up with a bunch of bullets that you might not like...

What gun you loading them for?

Not sure if you're asking me or the original poster (mcracco).

I would be loading 9mm for a Beretta 92fs and M&P9c and 45ACP for a 1911.

I've been loading Hornady 124 and 147 XTPs for 9mm - but they're only sold in boxes of 100 - and they get very expensive very fast.

I wanted to try MG 9mm 124 JHP, 124 CMJ or FMJ, 147 CMJ, and 45ACP 230 FMJ and JHP.

As you can imagine, buying 1000 of each just to see which worked best in my guns would be way too expensive.

If MG would sell 200 of each it would have been a 1000 piece order...

Tom

I'm working with my M&P Pro 5" with Storm Lake barrel.

I don't mind buying a 1,000 of the MG's as it's really only costing me $30 one time. Box of 1,000 was $118 and the Berry's are $88/1,000. Now if the MG works for me I'll be buying case qty and the price drops to $83/1,000. I suppose you can say for $6 a 1,000 less I'll get my $30 back after 5,000 rounds.

I bought the MG 9mm 124GN Complete Metal Jacket bullet. I've never seen this before but it looks like they put a copper gas check on the bullet before swaging the jacket on. Very clever and no doubt there will be no issues with exposed or burning lead.

Yes, Precision was out of stock so they are quoting 4-6 weeks.

Just got in my first batch of Montana Gold and you know how the company got it's name? The bullets are made in Montana and they are gold in color! :D I always amaze myself when I am able to grasp the obvious.

I've been seeing some funny things happening with Berry's 9mm so I wanted to try some other brands/designs. The MG's look great for a jacketed bullet and I also have some Precision poly's coming. Precision is dreadfully slow to ship so I wonder how that will work long term.

so far for me MG has the slowest shipping by far. No biggie I just know to order them before I really need them.

I've been shooting USPSA for years " CRO "..I shoot a Glock 35 Open ,with a doctor sight. Just a great set-up.. I reload 40 s&w and use Montana Gold 180gr JHP. Couldn't ask for anything better for year round shooting in Florida.

Try Everglades Ammo. They resell MG. Example:

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/montana-gold-9mm-124gr-jhp-bullets.html

They do 500rd lots.

I picked up 100 each of CMJ and JHP to test from Gunstop.com and had them shipped extremely fast.

http://www.gunstop.com/Store/Pistol%20Bullets/Montana-Gold-Bullets

Thanks for the links - I'll check them out.

Tom

so far for me MG has the slowest shipping by far. No biggie I just know to order them before I really need them.

WHAT?? I have been ordering from them for years and I have cases (yes, plural) at my doorstep within 4 to 5 days. Also, I'm on the East coast so that's incredibly fast considering that they are in CO. The only time they are slow is if they are out-of-stock, which is very rare.

WHAT?? I have been ordering from them for years and I have cases (yes, plural) at my doorstep within 4 to 5 days. Also, I'm on the East coast so that's incredibly fast considering that they are in CO. The only time they are slow is if they are out-of-stock, which is very rare.

Well that hasn't been my experience. Usually receive my bullets within 7 to 10 day. Usually around the 10 day mark. I always get the confirmation directly also. Like I said not a big deal, just stating what my experience with their shipping has been.

Edited to add that they do have excellent customer service.

Edited by brandrum

After trying several manufactures I settled on MGB. They have very good quality control and a large variety of calibers and profiles. Everthing I have ever ordered was stocked too.

Every time I've ordered during the week I receive a shipping notification by the next day. If I order Sun-Mon I have the bullets by Thur-Fri. I consider that great customer service. GOOD JOB MGB!!!

Remember that they also support our sport!

Got in the MG 124gn CMJ bullets so I loaded some up for comparison purposes against the Berry's 124gn HBFP bullets I have been using for a while. I have been a big fan of the Berry's plated as I like a complete copper jacket (however thin), flat nose (sorry but they sit better in the ammo box), and the hollow base makes sense to me.

The MG bullet shot well out of my M&P 5" Pro with Storm Lake barrel. MG accuracy was very good. Then again Berry's accuracy was good and without a machine rest I really can't say which is better.

But here's the rub; Berry's seems to be loosing it's copper jacket in flight. I am loading 4.5gn WSF which should be making a little over 1,000fps. Pretty lame. But look at the patterns I am seeing on paper. I'm guessing the jacket is ripping off the bullet and centrifugal force is forcing the a strip (where a rifling grove is) perpendicular to the bullet hence the the rectangular cut in the paper. I hesitated bringing this up till I could shoot a different bullet and of course the MG bullet over the same 4.5gn of WSF leaves a very nice round hole.

Guess I am now a MG customer.

BB_Target.jpg