Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never having shot an IPSC match before I have a question for Open division 170mm mags. I have read the rule book and searched this site but I'm still a little confused about what specifically is legal? Right now I have SVI mags and Dawson basepads. I have some 3mm SV basepads but when I measure them I can't really tell much difference in the length? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by t_telecom

Never having shot an IPSC match before I have a question for Open division 170mm mags. I have read the rule book and searched this site but I'm still a little confused about what specifically is legal? Right now I have SVI mags and Dawson basepads. I have some 2mm SV basepads but when I measure them I can't really tell much difference in the length? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey t_telecom , see http://ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgun.pdf , pages 51 and 56 to to clarify your doubts.

J+

Anybody know if the dawson ice magwell is legal in Classic division?

If the magwell is less than 45mm +1mm, you're good to go.

Standard and Classic division pistols need to fit in the box.

Interesting that Production guns in ipsc don't need to fit in a box but has a max barrel length of 127mm

Interesting that Production guns in ipsc don't need to fit in a box but has a max barrel length of 127mm

You can´t do a lot of modifications, and can put only 15 rounds in the mag, I belive there is no need to have a box.

Anybody know if the dawson ice magwell is legal in Classic division?

If the magwell is less than 45mm +1mm, you're good to go.

That's incorrect. Classic division has additional restrictions, besides fitting the box:

Magazine well openings cannot exceed a maximum outside width of 35mm

See item 16 in Appendix D3.

That's incorrect. Classic division has additional restrictions, besides fitting the box:

Magazine well openings cannot exceed a maximum outside width of 35mm

See item 16 in Appendix D3.

I missed that part. Thanks for the the correction.

Slight thread stall... Is this the first US IPSC natinal championship?

Brian,

As Britin mentioned it isn't the first. But it's always been primarily a qualifier match for the US Teams to the WS. Which resulted in relatively low turnout due to the rule differences and most of the USPSA crowd not interested in trying out for the team.....also not wanting to incur the expense of meeting IPSC division requirements. Flex and Linda have done outstanding jobs with the match in years past. That one in Michigan is still the toughest match I have ever shot to date!!!!! I'll never forget that partial with a no-shoot leaving about 1.5 inches of scoring space!

We decided to take it bigger, marketing to the IPSC crowd. Looking at many of the European matches drawing 500+ we're trying to make it a premier IPSC match. Of course the fact we're hosting the WS in a couple years isn't hurting matters. We are getting close to capacity this year without really knowing what we're doing (kind of kidding). I expect next year to be crazy.

We have some exciting things planned this year. I think it will be a super fun match.

I'll gladly comp your slot if you'd like to come out of retirement!! :bow:

Shannon

:cheers: Thanks Shannon! But these days, if I can't walk or bike to it, I'm probably not going to get there.

;)

390 rounds. Thanks for that bit of info. Now the stages?

From reading around this topic it seems that production can have 15 rd. mags. no box - standard about the same rounds and the BOX? :surprise:

From reading around this topic it seems that production can have 15 rd. mags. no box - standard about the same rounds and the BOX? :surprise:

I know ... it's backwards I know, but think of IPSC Prod. Div as the "Production Race Gun" division some of us always wanted Prod. Div. to be here in the U.S. But then they limit LTD guns into a box, so I guess you just can't have the best of both worlds can you? :)

I prefer the USPSA versions of OPEN / LTD because it's the most 'racey' you can get in each respective division with regards to mag length, bullet weight, Power Factor, holster placement, etc...... but then again I'm a perfectly biased Open shooter, so .... take that for what it's worth. $0.02

My Standard mag capacity is 19 rounds.

It says main match is 14-16. Does that mean I can sign in Fri morning and shoot Fri - Sun or do you have to be present for the prematch. Trying to figure out my work schedule and travel time.

as long as you have time to check in come on friday,i am comming early friday morning. :cheers: the RO's or whatever the correct IPSC term is, they and the staff shoot wed & thur.thats how i understand things are going to go.

Edited by a matt

you guys in open have to be careful with your 170 mags. USPSA allows (if i remember correctly) 171.5 mm while IPSC is a straight 170 mm. i have three 170 mags but the one made by Ron Howard is not IPSC legal but is fine for USPSA. i have been told that to make 171.5 legal to 170 you have to very carefully shave the lips.

Also for standard (limited) note that the IPSC box is not the same as the USPSA box!

It says main match is 14-16. Does that mean I can sign in Fri morning and shoot Fri - Sun or do you have to be present for the prematch. Trying to figure out my work schedule and travel time.

My schedule is 14-PM, 15-AM, 16-PM, Squad 31.

Since I had to plan my trip in advance, they gave me my schedule.

you guys in open have to be careful with your 170 mags. USPSA allows (if i remember correctly) 171.5 mm while IPSC is a straight 170 mm. i have three 170 mags but the one made by Ron Howard is not IPSC legal but is fine for USPSA. i have been told that to make 171.5 legal to 170 you have to very carefully shave the lips.

Also for standard (limited) note that the IPSC box is not the same as the USPSA box!

Would it be to much trouble to ask you to post a close up picture of a 170mm mag that has been modified? :unsure: