Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon 650 newbie question

I brought my 650 set up for 9mm Luger. I noticed when I cycle the cases through the Dillon random small amounts of powder ( AP70N ) spray out of the case as the charged cases rotate from the powder dropper station(2) to the station (4) that seats the bullets. What can i do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

btm_54

I keep meaning to go pick up the parts to do the fix on the above link, but I haven't got around to it. All I do to keep it happenening wihtout the fix is:

-grab the next bullet while the ram is up before the shell plate rotates

-place it on the proper case before it rotates

-kind of guide the shell plate into its next position.

No powder spillage, no extra parts and it doesn't seem to slow me down at all. This may not make much sense reading it, but think about it next time you reload, it may help.

I keep meaning to go pick up the parts to do the fix on the above link, but I haven't got around to it. All I do to keep it happenening wihtout the fix is:

-grab the next bullet while the ram is up before the shell plate rotates

-place it on the proper case before it rotates

-kind of guide the shell plate into its next position.

No powder spillage, no extra parts and it doesn't seem to slow me down at all. This may not make much sense reading it, but think about it next time you reload, it may help.

+ 1 Thats the trick

I did not get a 650 the first year they came out, I waited a year. So the problem is the same from the mid 90s to now. The 650 was so Cool, no one complained about the problem for several years. it was considered "operator error"

Search is your friend in this one. Personally, I didn't like the bearing kit solution but the cut spring has solved it for me. YMMV. If you have not yet done so, read the pinned Dillon tips & tricks topic at the top of this forum.

I use a bearing AND cut the spring. Works perfectly in multiple calibers now and don't have to worry about a mess.

Some people suggest not using the bottom washer under the bearing, I tried it with and without, didn't feel a difference so I just left it on.

Check out the posts others suggested and you'll see tons of opinions.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue with loading 223. I experimented with clipping a bit off the spring to reduce the 'snapping'.

I uploaded a YouTube vid on the process the other day when I was testing out a new camera, but I don't have permission to post links in posts yet. My YouTube channel is SounderAU if you want to look it up.

I had the same issue with loading 223. I experimented with clipping a bit off the spring to reduce the 'snapping'.

I uploaded a YouTube vid on the process the other day when I was testing out a new camera, but I don't have permission to post links in posts yet. My YouTube channel is SounderAU if you want to look it up.

Nice video, thanks for posting!

Great video!

Bearing mod, cutting the ball bearing index spring, catching the case as the shellplate indexes, and using grease on the bottom of the shellplate will all help. When using grease, be aware where you put the grease, keep it on the inner portions so you don't get grease on your primers as they rotate under the shellplate.