Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st stage nervousness ...how to shrug it off?

humanoid

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

I like to remind myself that everyone else has to shoot their first stage of the match too. Sometimes I just want to survive the stage and sometimes I want to set the bar- I've found that always being in attack mode yields better results than being in a 'hope' mode. 

Ditto.
Shoot to win you might. Shoot to lose you will. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, benos said:

Pay close attention to your "pre-thoughts" about each stage, and only allow those that are positive. 

The best advice! You've been there before... you've done it before... why think differently for the first stage? Focus... stage plan, targets, smooth draw, execute. You've done it before. Why should the first stage be any different than any other? Focus on what you need to do... just like on the other stages.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m glad I found this thread. I’ve been very up and down on my first stages this year, probably made worse because of my lack of practice due to corona shutdowns. 
When things go well, I almost feel like I’m floating by the time I step to the line before Make Ready. When they don’t, I feel the nervousness and adrenaline. I want to capture that floating feeling. 

In addition to dry firing before match, I also found that a little work out could be very useful to calm the anxiety. Something like a little run, Jumping rope, and stretching.

Positive thinking and staying relax are something that I am still working on. It's easier to say than do.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2012 at 9:25 AM, humanoid said:

I seem to always make a stupid mistake on the 1st stage. Sometimes it costs me a procedural or points down. I am fine after that. What do you do to shrug off those beginning of the match jitters?

Normally what I like to do is if I have a bad stage, I let that stage go pretend its in the past, I don't dwell on it, let it affect me and I fight through and try to make up for my mistakes on the following stages, keep fighting through until the end and never give up.  I don't let negative thoughts or emotions interfere with performance, many competitive shooters already dictate their outcome of their stage by absorbing negativity into their minds.  Such as "I messed up, I suck, I won't do well, that was a bad stage, I did terrible, this is not for me" and the list goes on.  Don't put expections ahead of yourself to win matches, overall, etc just go and have fun and let the chips fall where they need to fall.  The less stress you add to yourself the more successful outcome you will achieve~  

• 1 month later...

I dry fire in the safe area a lot more than most other people I shoot matches with. Also do stretches and warm up exercises. I’ve never understood why people don’t warm up for shooting as much as most organized sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Sethdaniel05 said:

I dry fire in the safe area a lot more than most other people I shoot matches with. Also do stretches and warm up exercises. I’ve never understood why people don’t warm up for shooting as much as most organized sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you’re the guy hogging the safe table while the rest of us want to gun up.....😊