Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags for USPSA

okorpheus

I am firmly in the group of better to have too much ammo than not enough. Shooting Open I have three or four small mags with 21 rounds each, one big stick with 29 rounds and a barney mag with one round. Tonight I was thankful for being a little over prepped for a stage. 31 round stage and started with barney round plus one small mag, going through a door at the start of the stage I shot the one paper and one steel directly in front of me and had time to do a mag change into my bigstick downloaded to 28 at that point. This leaves me with 29 rounds in the gun and 14 paper left, you can see where this is headed. Half way through the stage I had to make up a tight shot and two targets later had to make up another shot. Come down to the last array of targets and goes bang bang bang click! SECOND mag change and finish the last target.

If I had been smart I would have gone to the second array of targets on the first mag THEN done my mag change to insure I had enough rounds for extra shots if needed. Granted, both mag changes were smooth but dang it I made one more than I SHOULD have made! Just goes to show you might need more magazines than you think you will need (not to mention better stage planning is a must). :D

Joe W.

Thanks. I have 3 mags and have shot IDPA and loved it but thought I might give USPSA a try as well. Would 3 mags be enough to get my feet wet if I ran limited minor and filled the mags for my M&P 9?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

my rule of thumb is on your person, at least one "extra" that unless you completely botch a stage you will never go to.

so if a stage will be a a 30-35rd count stage, ill have at least 5 on my person and 6 or 7 total with 1 or 2 being back ups in case a mag fails for whatever reason.

I like 10 too. Because of those put your mag's on the barrel or in a box and barrels or just leaving them set where ever x's 2. Extra is better.