Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags for USPSA

okorpheus

Worst case: Production 32 round stage with empty gun start, all mags on belt. You will need 4 mags minimum to complete the stage. Murphy knows this. You drop a mag. You are screwed. Consider 5 pouches. I wore 6 ;)

Later,

Chuck

I wear 6 pouches with 6 mags in Production. I start from the last one and have 5 to reload from. On some stages I have even gone up with the 6 on my belt plus a start mag. Better safe than sorry.

Hell, when I shot limited I'd have 5 mags total.

Edited by spanky

Because I am cautious and paranoid, I carry five mags on the belt plus the one in the gun, using Mag #5 to chamber the first round.

I have never gone to the fifth mag, but have occasionally gone to the fourth (on big field courses where strategy dictates frequent reloads, or with needing extra mags because of a fumbled reload or a malfunction).

Of course you will get the occasional, "just for grins" 50+ round hosefest in some club matches, but that's really rare.

The main reason to have extra mags is in case one starts malfunctioning on you druing a match. And if you have to reshoot a stage, but your just used mags are now are empty and/or dirty, having enough loaded spares saves on the mental rushing that happens then.

To add to what I said... I bring 10 just in case. Allows me to skip reloading new magazines and help tape/work more.

I also keep 4 on belt and do a 11rnd starter from my pocket for all stages that allow 10+1 starts (production).

Edited by splitime

I have 5 on the belt plus 1 in the gun. I've needed the 6th once in recent memory, to replace a dropped mag. I almost never shoot to slide lock, instead changing mags every 6 or 8 rounds so I've always got rounds available for makeup shots if needed.

To add to what I said... I bring 10 just in case. Allows me to skip reloading new magazines and help tape/work more.

I also keep 4 on belt and do a 11rnd starter from my pocket for all stages that allow 10+1 starts (production).

6 on belt, starter in back pocket, few extras in range bag.

If one falls out while you run down the COF or badly bobble a reload, you got spares

If one gets dropped in a puddle, mud or sand, it goes into the bag to be cleaned up later.

i've only been shooting USPSA for about 6 months, but I've been using 4 on the belt, with first mag in a pocket, and one in a bag just in case. i use 4 mags almost every stage, except real short ones, or classifiers. about once a match, i use all 5. i have never required a 6th.

If you are shooting 70 rounds on a 32 round (max) course, you will be thinking other things besides "dangit. should have bought more mags." :roflol:

yeah.. I actually ran out of ammo without knocking it down. I later found out I was missing a mag on my belt. It was a very high round count stage to start with. There were a ton of people that gave up after 5-10 misses or so. I refused!

For Production I carried 7 total mags with me, 5 mag pouches, one mag in my pocket for "Make Ready" and a spare mag in my bag incase one breaks.

In Limited I have 6 total mags, 4 mag pouches, one mag in pocket for "Make Ready" and a spare mag in my bag incase one breaks.

I did fine starting out with just 4 mags.

If you're new to the sport, bring what you've got, you'll be focused on more important things like safety anyway. Once you've got a few matches under your belt, you'll progress to thinking about things like optimizing mag changes during movement, at which point you may want at least a 5th magazine, and maybe more.

Worst case: Production 32 round stage with empty gun start, all mags on belt. You will need 4 mags minimum to complete the stage. Murphy knows this. You drop a mag. You are screwed. Consider 5 pouches. I wore 6 ;)

Later,

Chuck

+1

Anything more than the MINIMUM 4 is keeping Mr. Murphy at bay and opens up some different stage plans previously unavailable. If you have enough magazine capacity for a 32 round field course, but not enough mags for production, shoot limited with your production gear for a while. I did that until I could decide on what my competition gun was going to be.

I bring 8 to the match, well, because that's what I have. Depending on the course, I typically carry 5 and start with one in the gun. Only went to the 5th when I dropped a mag, or had a bad day on the star or polish plate rack.

I shoot Production, Limited, and SS. I have 10 mags for each. I carry 5 for production, 4 for Limited, and 6 for SS. For Production and SS I have placed an extra mag in my pocket as a starter mag for the 32 round mega steel/ Star stages where it is probable the I might need it. Once you exceed 50 rounds your stage is pretty much toast anyways so I never carry more than that on me.