Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY CR Speed Versa Pouch upgrades

Musky Hunter

I've had the same CR Speed pouches since 2003. The CR speed pouches has served me well but i wanted to some minor upgrades.

After sending some emails and reading posts on benos and gv i decided to do some DIY work after the Sharon match.

1. Drill and tap to add a set screw to the belt loop. This mod is great! No more worries of the pouches moving and no need for zip ties or black retention tabs. The pouches are very secure on the belt, wont budge without unscrewing the set screws.

0f7922cf.jpg

2. Adding magnets.

Buy your magnets from Lee Valley. I tried ones from Princess Auto, Home Depot, etc... they aren't powerful enough or break easily when slapping mags onto them. The 1" magnets from Lee Valley are under $8 a set and comes with a stainless magnet holder.

I tried just using one magnet but i found the mag spinning and moving slightly from time to time. With two magnets it's rock solid and very smooth.

The best way to attach the magnets and holder is by drilling and tapping to the pouch. Since the CR Speed pouches are plastic drilling and tapping wouldn't work. I had to get some extra hardware from home depot. I used #10 screws and flat locking plate. I used 1 lock washer on the inside and two flat washers on the outside to make for a perfect fit.

I originally used the CZ / Beretta back plates for the CR pouches but had to go thinner to accommodate the new hardware inside the pouch. I am using the SVI / STI back plates with some minor thinning with dremel.

7e7f725b.jpg

0e5cf985.jpg

I added some contact cement for the internal flat nut and red loctite. It might be overkill but the magnet and screws aren't moving.

Final product..........

fb97740e.jpg

Video

th_422857f6.jpg

th_53ee88c4.jpg

Nice!!

But does the magnet over the pouch are legal? Does they respect the 2" (50mm) away from body (as you are in IPSC), as per Appendix D1 to D4 ?

And personnaly, whith your setup I'm may be little bit anxious about mag friction on your inner "nut".

Edited by gunguru

I suggest you a little trip to GV, cause it's not the interpretation of Vince Pinto, , the IPSC rules director. Here's his interpretation on this exact matter (magnet over regular pouch)

There are two separate issues here. Magazine retention devices (e.g. pouches, clips, magnets etc.) must always be placed behind the hipbone in S/P/C divisions (see Appendix E2). However, when a COF requires that magazines be placed outside of the retention device before the Start Signal, then:

5.2.4.1 For table starts or similar, after the Start Signal, the competitor may carry those items anywhere on their person, and this will not be treated as contravention of Divisional rules..

All pouches or retention device must always respect the hip bones/50mm rules, but after the start, you may put your mag where you want, but even a empty mag pouch is a mag pouch for rules application.