Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180Gr @ 1.130 OAL for STI?

jimmcc

I've had some issues with Montana Gold CMJ 180Gr at 1.130 OAL in my STI. The round hits the feed ramp and stops parallel with the barrel. I'd like to stay with 1.130 so my loads will work in the STI and Glocks and wondered what bullet might work better. I'm going to try some MG 180 JHP because the angle of the bullet isn't quite as blunt. All info is greatly appreciated.

I'd check the feedlip dimensions on your STI mags first. That ammo SHOULD work, but the fact that something isn't letting it run up the feedramp leads me to believe that it's a magazine issue.

You didn't mention the condition of the feedramp, but if it has a layer of built-up copper from the bullet noses, that can increase friction there also. If it's really clean, then that's not the issue.

I'd check the feedlip dimensions on your STI mags first. That ammo SHOULD work, but the fact that something isn't letting it run up the feedramp leads me to believe that it's a magazine issue.

You didn't mention the condition of the feedramp, but if it has a layer of built-up copper from the bullet noses, that can increase friction there also. If it's really clean, then that's not the issue.

I've thought about buying Dawson's mag tuning kit. I ran 30,000 165gr round nose cast at 1.130 through this pistol without a single problem. Change bullets and instant problem. The feed ramp looks like a mirror. I tried loading to 1.170 this weekend and ran 80 rounds without an issue.

I've thought about buying Dawson's mag tuning kit. I ran 30,000 165gr round nose cast at 1.130 through this pistol without a single problem. Change bullets and instant problem. The feed ramp looks like a mirror. I tried loading to 1.170 this weekend and ran 80 rounds without an issue.

Yeah, funny things can happen with different OALs. I can sympathize with wanting to keep the ammo for the STI and the Glock compatible, but the easiest fix for this may be running the STI stuff long....

Call STI. They recommend a minimum OAL of 1.160 for the Edge or else you'll have feeding problems. I stay around 1.180.

I've had some issues with Montana Gold CMJ 180Gr at 1.130 OAL in my STI. The round hits the feed ramp and stops parallel with the barrel. I'd like to stay with 1.130 so my loads will work in the STI and Glocks and wondered what bullet might work better. I'm going to try some MG 180 JHP because the angle of the bullet isn't quite as blunt. All info is greatly appreciated.

This is an STI Edge in .40S&W correct?

Little things can make a big difference with these guns. Maybe the angle of the feed ramp or something not fit right.

Does the mag follower slide up and down freely? Remove the base and slide the spring with follower up and down. It should slide into place easily.

Long shot but does the bullet touch the slide lock? Remove the slide, put the slide lock back in. Slide a full magazine in and see if the bullet touches the slide lock.

A good gunsmith should figure out the problem in a heart beat looking at it. However, STI has very good support. May take a while to get your gun back if you send it in. I would contact them.

Went to 1.180 and still having issues. I then tried a new ISMI mag spring and it didn't help either. I've never been this frustrated before in my life!

Long shot but does the bullet touch the slide lock? Remove the slide, put the slide lock back in. Slide a full magazine in and see if the bullet touches the slide lock.

Your a Genius. Took the slide off and sure enough the MG hits the slide lock. Put 4 rounds of my old ammo in and because of the steep taper it didn't touch. The MG drags on the slide lock just enough to throw the timing off and when the slide tries to strip the round from the mag, the round isn't high enough and the slide catches just the top of the round and drives it straight into the bottom of the feed ramp. I ordered a new slide lock that I'm going to file down this week. Thanks SOOOOO much for the help.

ShortRound lengths less than 1.140 cause issues with most STI's, 1.180 or even longer. If you are using a fast powder you might start to get some head seperations and case splits at that short length of 1.130. Get some Bayou Bullets for the STI, then you won't get them mixed up since they are green. I load 9 minor and Major, its a tough day when I get them mixed up and have to shoot my production shadow with 170+ pf ammo.

Well I use to have the same issue when I would load short enough for my CZ TS since I carried it for a backup gun, I cured the problem, sold it and got an SVI for a backup gun.

Ok, I ground off the slide stop to where it didn't contact the bullet and have the same problem as before. Put in my other 170MM and same problem. I've ran te first mag for two years and the second mag has never been used. I'm lost. The only thing that has changed is the bullet but everyone loves MG. I'm not bashing MG because they're super accurate and run great in my Glocks at 1.130 OAL. I may try Bayou to see what results I get but I have a brand new box of 2500 MG!

Ok, I ground off the slide stop to where it didn't contact the bullet and have the same problem as before. Put in my other 170MM and same problem. I've ran te first mag for two years and the second mag has never been used. I'm lost. The only thing that has changed is the bullet but everyone loves MG. I'm not bashing MG because they're super accurate and run great in my Glocks at 1.130 OAL. I may try Bayou to see what results I get but I have a brand new box of 2500 MG!

The montana golds I use to use were FN Jacketed 180gr my STI Edge ate them out to 1.200. Have you checked the diameter of the bullets? Have you checked the chamber for burs etc. Will longer rounds drop all the way into the chamber? If long rounds drop in and feed good use them. The worst jam I ever had was barrowed ammo from a GM at Tx State Limited (in fact as I recall the only jam I ever had in my limited gun) and as always I saved it when I got home I measured it 1.135.

IMHO shortrounds don't work in the STI platform, ok for tupperware..

Check your extractor tension, and breach face.

Before you do anything try running a 180gr. conical bullet rather than the flat point at the same OAL. These can make a big difference in feeding on a ramped barrel. Personally, I don't have any problems with factory or reloads, use a non-ramped barrel.

Wow, same thing to me in the last 2 days, exactly, but I was running a stock Edge .40 (ramped bull barrel) for a long time now with Zero 180g JHP, at 1140 to 1150, it ate them up perfectly.

I just bough a another STI .40, ....only custom top end with a NOWLIN barrel in it, I had 300 rounds of these loaded up and thought, I am going to run this new baby to the match thursday night and run it, since I have all these loads ready to go for the OLD STI,!!!.......

WRONG.....this particular barrel and config does not like 1150 or shorter,.... bullet slammed straight into the ramp,......... FTF all night.....:angry2:

SO, I read your post last night, and thought, ...sounds like my problem,....so I loaded 200 rounds out to 1165 and 1180,.....shot the whole match today, and only "1" FTF, which may have been a bullet that was too short, ...or I got a 165g mixed in from the mfg..(happened before)....

Possibly yours needs even longer, I would take it out to 1.200 and if they run, great....then back it down in .10 at time until you know the OAL baseline that barrel will not tolerate.

Just a thought,......O1

(posted in "reloading" 10/40 also)

Had my gunsmith retune my mags and shot two full mags of both 170's I have without a glitch. The ammo was 1.130 OAL. So it was a mixture of a mag problem and slide release. Now to play with my new Open 9. I'm sure there won't be any problems with it!

• 1 month later...