Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I bought a Versa Max... Now what?

JB326

I am a fairly experienced shooter, a fairly new competitive shooter, and an all out newb on multi-gun competitions. I just cashed in a certificate for a huge factory Remington discount on a Versa Max Tactical. I know that the Versa's are fairly new, but I am all ears as to what I will want/ need to do to really get her up and running, other than the obvious which is to shoot the heck of it.

I should have it in hand in about a week.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice you guys can offer.

I just got mine and I'm shooting the heck out of it and practicing the load two technique at the same time. Getting the carrier welded up does seem to be needed. You can do it with the standard carrier but if you mess up and do it wrong your thumb is gonna be messed up!

Edited by T Bacus

I will completely unveil my newbness with this question, but is welding the carrier done simply to keep it from "biting" your thumb, or is there some other need behind it? I see that modification recommended for almost every competition shotgun out there, but I've never read why.

It's the thumb issue, as far as I know. My 26 inch "classic" Versa Max had a particularly viscous forked carrier. It was the embodiment of pure evil. I'm very interested in how the newer Versa Max Tactical compares.

As to the OP question. Practice loading!!!!! Buy at least a box of the Fiocchi dummy rounds and some shell caddies or shell belts of your choice. I happen to like the Load Two method devices. My particular (but very limited) experience is with the stuff from Carbon Arms. However, there are others on the market with good products.

What to do now? = Welded lifter, shell caddies or belt of your choice, check point of aim/impact matching with slugs.....that's what I keep hearing.

I forgot to welcome you both to the Versa Max "group". I look forward to your range reports.

Edited by michael1778

Thanks guys. I'll see if my local smith can handle the welded carrier, and I've got a handful or two of dummies already. I also just ordered a Choate shell caddy to get me started, but I am thinking real hard about the Carbon Arms load two set-up. I watched their video and it was impressive to say the least.

I will be sure to post pics once I get it, along with a good range report. I'd like to say that I can put a case of Estate low brass through on day one, but I'll have to see how time and money play into that!

Thanks for the help guys.

I had Jeff do all the work on my 26" Versa Max. Super work. My only complaint is the mild damage in return shipping. But Jeff packed it great so I don't know what the heck FedEx Ground did to the end of my mag tube and cap to crumple them slightly. Functions wonderfully, but doesn't look as perfect as it must have when it left Jeff's shop. I need to post some pics of my Versa Max. :-)

mine is a slow work in progress trying guns ready for Pro/AM in AM open. C-rums has my trigger group, for the lifter and trigger work. i asked him to get the #100 factory trigger pull to not more than 4. the bolt is out being lighten. that is as far as i gotten so far.

+1 for C-rum, just installed one of his carriers and works great. I also suggest that try different belt carriers for shells, 4x, 6x, and 2x4 carriers and see what works for you.

ETA: Be careful when you take the trigger assembly apart for the lifter swap, there is a trigger spring part that will fly across the room if your not careful.

Edited by Olivers_AR

• 1 month later...

I had Jeff do all the work on my 26" Versa Max. Super work. My only complaint is the mild damage in return shipping. But Jeff packed it great so I don't know what the heck FedEx Ground did to the end of my mag tube and cap to crumple them slightly. Functions wonderfully, but doesn't look as perfect as it must have when it left Jeff's shop. I need to post some pics of my Versa Max. :-)

Please do Post them! I'm still researching my options (as per the other thread "Shotgun Choices") and I'd like to see how everyone's scatter guns turned out

I just got mine and I'm shooting the heck out of it and practicing the load two technique at the same time. Getting the carrier welded up does seem to be needed. You can do it with the standard carrier but if you mess up and do it wrong your thumb is gonna be messed up!

Totally agree. I just got my Benelli M2 back from Accurate Iron and Mike did his magic and now I can load using the load 2 vest with 8 shells in 6 seconds at my best and my average is just under 7. Before he did his work my time was around 8 seconds and I had sore thumbs. Definately get this work done.

Pat

• 1 year later...

I run a 26" versamax..I have ran everything from wally world target loads to 3" steel duck loads and slugs. No matter what I feed it it eats it no problem and cycles great. Only mods so far is +7 tube and fiber front sight. Just contacted jeff crums and going to send mine in for load port, weld lifter, trigger, and throat barrel. Great shotgun very light recoil.

I had no issues shooting my versa tactical totally stock but then the forked lifter bit me a few times and I sent it to Benny Hill and had the loading port opened, bolt lightened, extractor mod done and the welded lifter added and it is amazing now. I added a carbon arms versa tube with the +2 cap and a Matchsaverz and I think it is done now. IMO it is the softest shooting, easiest loading shotgun I have ever tried and it shoots anything I run through it, wal mart bulk federal, Winchester, anything. It is a little heavier than some others but that also helps with the recoil. The only malfunctions I have ever had with any ammo was when I was shooting through a barrel ( on edge with the bottom cut out ) and the ejected shell hit the side of the barrel and bounced back and stuck in the action. I have literally thousands of rounds through it too. Can't say enough good things about it - but other than the lifter you could shoot it stock and still be fine-

The Versamax tactical is a great platform that does not need much modification to be competitive. i thought about sending mine to benny or Jeff C. but the cost seemed to outway the benefit, I removed the barrel clamp to improve slug accuracy and can now hit an 8" steel plate @ 50 yds consistantly. I opened and beveled the loading port myself, Jeff C. welded the lifter, a definite necessity when using load 2 or any other loading technique as far as that goes. I added a Matchsavers and will be adding a "roulette" +2 cap as soon as it gets here but, It has ran all ammunition that i have fed it, flawlessly, all year! It does not need any other mods. I thought about getting the bolt lightened or the trigger worked over but It runs as fast and accurate as any others out there and when i'm running it, after the buzzer rings, i never notice the trigger! I was told that i should replace the hammer and hammer spring with Benelli parts but i haven't seen the need yet. I have only had one light strike and i've run at least 750 rounds throught it. A friend has replaced those parts and has seen the same performance as i have. 1 light strike! It seems the more i ammo that i run through it the better and smoother it runs!! My Versamax is a WORKHORSE!!

I'm still not approved to post anything for sale

If you keep trying to do it here,... the mods will make sure you won't.

I suggest you read the forum guidelines.

"Anyone found to be post-count bumping (lots of posts that don't advance the discussion, such as, but not limited to, "+1" or "emoticon" only posts) or making an end run around the classifieds rules by posting something for sale somewhere else on the forum, will have their classified privileges suspended, and their post count reset to zero (0). Following the contribution of 100 meaningful posts, such members may appeal for restoration of their classifieds privileges by sending a PM to any Moderator or Administrator."

• 1 month later...

See how bad the lifter shreds your thumb, weld it up and extend it. If you load quads or dueces file open the loading port a bit. If throwing quads, cut back the forearm a bit so the second set of shells doesn't catch the lip of it. Throw a +X tube on it. Test where it hits with slugs at distances ranging from 5 to 50 yards. Pattern the birdshot with different chokes and different loads at varying yards.

Edited by GreenDragon64

As for the "light strikes", a retired friend who shoots a lot of skeet and works at a skeet range tells me that Kreighoff will not warranty the firing pin if you are shooting Remington Gun Clubs because their primers are so hard and they cause firing pins to break. Other Remington ammo like the Premier & Nitro had softer primers and was no problems.

• 3 weeks later...