Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK45 Recoil Spring Question

DFinan

I have been using my HK45 in limited 10, and am trying to work up some reloads for them. I have tried loading 3.8 and 3.7 grains of clays w a 230 grain Berrys Plated with an OAL of 1.26. Going with those loads I am getting a lot of stovepipes with the ejecting brass (at 4.0 grains of clays the gun works 100%, at 3.9 if I have to shoot at weird angles I start getting stovepipes again). I believe the stock recoil spring at 18lbs is to stout for the reduced power loads. I have checked and cant find any purpose built lighter recoils springs. I am talking with the the people at Wolfe and am going to try and get them the lenght (I can measure that easy enough), Number of coils, the inside and outside diameter of the spring. By any chance does anyone one have these measurements handy for me to compare with the ones I am going to make tonight?

For that matter if anyone has any suggestions for a lighter recoil spring I am willing to look at that too. Thanks.

Edited by DFinan

• 1 month later...

Like you I was looking for lighter spring to install in my HK45, just like what I did my other pistols if I can't find them I just cut the stock one. One coil at a time.

I took the stock spring, cut 2 coils and it worked very well with 4.1 Clays no FTE or FTF. Front sight returns faster. I can take 2nd shot much quicker now. I only shot 100 rounds so far. Will continue testing this load and spring combo. Would like to chrono this combo to check if I'm getting Major PF.

With my 1911, I was shooting 3.8 Clays and I was only getting 150 PF.

HK45 stock springs looks like ISMI springs that I used for my Glocks. I'm ordering a 13 and 15 lb springs to try next.

Thanks for the update, I think I have the issue figured out I changed my OAL to 1.24 (from 1.26) still running 4.0 clays behind a berrys plated 230 grain and am now chronoing at 735 avg and the gun is runnign great on the stock spring. Let me know the rsults of your test in any case as I am always looking for ways to adjust things for the best performance.

• 1 year later...