Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Squads at Nationals

beltjones

I would like nothing more than to not be on the Super Squad. I don't see it as a privilege or a benefit. I have always felt the extra attention given that squad is a distraction. I guess I don't really understand the idea that you think people perform better on the Super Squad... based on my observations I would assert the opposite is usually the case.

I have to ask - why continue to be on the Super Squad then?

I don't decide who squads where. I put in my request like everyone else does.

Since I asked that question, to quote The Big Lebowski, "New $&!# has come to light, man."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben, would you still shoot on a squad, knowing that being on that squad will affect your match performance in a negative way? Not having a choice or being allowed to use open squadding as other competitors are is wrong. I don't have a bone in this fight, but I know people who do not like being in the SS. being told to you have to shoot in the SS or you don't shoot is bad business.

Ben, would you still shoot on a squad, knowing that being on that squad will affect your match performance in a negative way? Not having a choice or being allowed to use open squadding as other competitors are is wrong. I don't have a bone in this fight, but I know people who do not like being in the SS. being told to you have to shoot in the SS or you don't shoot is bad business.

I don't care to be on the Super Squad. I know there are many people that would like to be on it though... It seems to me that it would make sense to put someone there that actually wants to be there instead of me.

The SS for the 2011 Nationals was picked by Mike Voigt and if you were picked that was final.

If you requested to be moved the answer was "no and if you don't want to shoot on that squad don't shoot the match."

This was after people have spent thousands of dollars to get their vacations booked.

...and no, this rule can't be seen in writing anywhere and was not voted on, it was Mike Voigt's decision.

Well, we shouldn't have to worry about Voigt's personal decisions at the next Nats. And anyone who makes a decision like that without agreement from the competitor(s) is, IMO, plain wrong.

Unless you're a lone wolf, you'll likely squad with people you're comfortable with and WANT to shoot with. If a single entity can toss out your wishes for their's, it is a poor business practice.

As I and others have stated, there is a clear need to ensure that all those with a 'shot' at winning the title compete on each stage in similar conditions. If a top competitor shoots in a different squad then there is a chance that a competitive advantage can be had if the weather turns bad (of course the same applies to the SS if they have a big stage on a nice day).

But there is also the issue of cameras etc.. The media 'circus' that surrounds the SS is a distraction to the shooters, if a top contender is on a different squad and does not have to deal with that pressure/distraction then again, there is a competitive advantage.

I think in this sport, especially with multi-day formats for some competitions, there is a need to mandate SuperSquads for the top competitors, how those competitors are chosen is a separate issue (and the source of the original post, in case anyone had forgotten). It would be nice if there was a fixed formula for determining who qualifies and who does not, just as they do for the World Team selection process.

As I and others have stated, there is a clear need to ensure that all those with a 'shot' at winning the title compete on each stage in similar conditions. If a top competitor shoots in a different squad then there is a chance that a competitive advantage can be had if the weather turns bad (of course the same applies to the SS if they have a big stage on a nice day).

But there is also the issue of cameras etc.. The media 'circus' that surrounds the SS is a distraction to the shooters, if a top contender is on a different squad and does not have to deal with that pressure/distraction then again, there is a competitive advantage.

I think in this sport, especially with multi-day formats for some competitions, there is a need to mandate SuperSquads for the top competitors, how those competitors are chosen is a separate issue (and the source of the original post, in case anyone had forgotten). It would be nice if there was a fixed formula for determining who qualifies and who does not, just as they do for the World Team selection process.

The "media" getting in the way should not be an issue. As well as making it easier for the "media" to cover the top shooters easier should not be an issue. Just let the shooters shoot in the squad they want..........Like every other shooter would expect to be treated.

Also as far as conditions......since not every top shooter can be on the SS that is not a sound reason either and it part of the sport.

The Super Squad should be made up of the best shooters. I think most would agree to that. (if you don't agree with that, well...that is a different discussion)

How you pick them is the question. Usually I would agree that a system of merit (earning you way on) would be the way to go, but...

If you don't "pick" the Super-Squad at Nationals, then Robbie wouldn't have been on the Production SS last year. And, he was well in the race to win it (finishing 2nd).

Same thing a few years back when the Open Champ shot in Production. He didn't have any Production wins that would have somehow qualified him to be in the SS, but he nearly won that match (Max was 2nd place, by one bullet...IIRC).

If world Champ Eric G. shows up to shoot our Open Nats...he is as a favorite to win it. Don't put him on the Super Squad?

The top 16 from last year, and/or getting placement based on Area matches wouldn't work that great either.

The way it is done now isn't perfect, for sure. It is about 75% though. And, that is pretty good really. It is a bit of a lagging system. Well known (past) performers/favorites get pushed to the top of the list.

Weren't there at least 2 squads at Nats last year that could have been considered SS? There are well over 16 "world class shooters" in USPSA. IMO, "world class shooters" are those who can go to any match in any country and be a strong contender to win.

Weren't there at least 2 squads at Nats last year that could have been considered SS? There are well over 16 "world class shooters" in USPSA. IMO, "world class shooters" are those who can go to any match in any country and be a strong contender to win.

There was a second squad that was assembled at the Open/L10 Nats for Open guys - it contained a couple of top shooters, and such, but it wasn't a full tilt Super Squad (I mean, after all, they let me on the squad...). However, I'll say that we probably had a lot more fun than the guys a couple bays over cheers.gif

So at Space City I was on a squad with Production 1,2, and 4 - does that mean I was on the "Super Squad" or was I being used to bring the average score of the squad down?

See Andy - you were on the Super Squad this weekend - feel special :-P