Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fresh Out of Excuses

EricW

LimShotgun.jpg

Shawn Carlock handed me my shotgun today. I'm not sure how happy I am about it though - I'm all out of excuses for non-performance now. It's exactly what I expected: a plain-jane 1100 with some very nice action work, EZ Loader, vent rib w/ fiber FS, an Eric-proof safety (nearly impossible to forget to deactivate), and best of all: a Carlock original custom magazine follower.

One other cool thing Shawn did was contour the mag pad. The way he did it, it shoulders like a 1/2" shorter gun - but still has the full length stock for proper pull. It's such a cool mod I'm going to do it to my 391.

We got burned on the first go-around this by a Brownhells mag follower that didn't fit the gun and jammed. Shawn cut me a new one (gratis) this morning while I waited. The mag follower made a WORLD of difference. It dramatically cut the effort needed to insert the shells. The follower, plus a minor spring tweak, and this SOB runs! Even junker reloads and foofer Remmy Gun Club loads. The gun has surprisingly little muzzle rise.

The only thing I want now is an overtravel stop for the trigger. (Ya just don't know til ya shoot it.)

Shawn, you are da man! I'm one happy camper.

Nik,

Yeah yeah yeah.... Kimel beat you to it today. :P

I just can't see myself putting grip tape on my shotgun, although I never saw myself putting it on my Glock until you yahoos goaded me into it.

I *will* be wearing a baseball/golf glove on my weak hand from now on. That friggin' barrel gets HOT after 9 rounds. Ouch!

My 1100 has a similar mod to the pad. Not sure but I think Shawn did at least part of the work on mine way back for the original owner and he may have done this. I didn't realize it was there until I was fooling around with an 1100 in a store one day and kept thinking the stock was longer.

Wait until your hand on the fore end gets sweaty and you can't get a grip...there will be tru-grip ALL OVER that baby! Mine still has skateboard tape (original owner) on it and I have left it on there because I realized how much traction it gave me. But when Eric comes out with Tru-Grip 1100 I will be ordering. :)

But I gotta get me an Eric-Proof safety. After seeing his today I just gotsta have one! Not that it will be Kevin proof...but it is worth a shot.

EricW: Which Brownell's follower was crap? I was going to order a new follower (mine is still factory) and don't want to have the same problem you had.

I don't have a barrel band on my 1100 either Erik and haven't lost anything...yet. Original owner never had one either. He did admonish me to check to make sure it was tight frequently though. I am going to put a band on mine only because I want to be able to put a sling on it.

EricW: Which Brownell's follower was crap?  I was going to order a new follower (mine is still factory) and don't want to have the same problem you had.

The one with the longitudinal grooves.

The crappy Brownhells follower:

080000004.jpg

According to Shawn, it's a tolerance stackup issue. Big receiver + small follower = jam o rama. He's seen it a couple times before. If I ever build another gun, I will simply specify that he make the follower. I should get some screw machined out of aluminum or delrin and save the world.

I'd vote fore delrin.

EricWesselman.com: Gun Parts and Accessories to Save the World.

Tru-Grip

Tru-Rings - No more $5 1100 gas rings!

Tru-Followers - The end of Jam O'Rama in your 1100.

Sponsor of Team Tru: They just shoot the damn guns. It's an Eric thing. :D

Eric, I thought you knew that you almost cannot compete with any shotgun unless you have grip tape on it.

'splain Lucy

Which surface(s) should I be attaching said tape to? Or is this a joke?

Shawn is on th cutting edge of shotgunning, that's for sure.

He's got an interesting way to load, have you seen it?

What is it, 6rds in 2seconds.....amazing! :blink:

Having Shawn build the gun was no accident.

Been playing with the technique for the past three days now. My hands are black, bloody and sore - but I think I've got a way figured out. I can't do it exactly like he does since I have small hands (and nowhere near as fast) - but the technique is at least 2-3X faster than pulling rounds in ones and twos. The downside is that it's a high-risk technique. It's fairly easy to have a shell slip onto the carrier thus FUBARing your reload. You've got to have your gun modded to make it work at all.

The other "downside" of the technique is that the advantage goes to guys with big hands. There's going to be *someone* who can pull 5 (or more?!) shells at a time and that's going to become a substantial time advantage if it saves a second trip to the belt - provided that shotgunning is the reload game people claim it is.