Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you shoot freestyle and weak hand to the same POA?

ProGunGuy

I shoot my Glock 34 a little to the left thus i need to move the rear site over a bit. I was practicing weak hand shooting and notice that my group were all to the right. I think its due to the rear site being to the right.

So is this normal to have 2 different impact points when freestyle/ strong hand and weak handed?

I shoot my Glock 34 a little to the left thus i need to move the rear site over a bit. I was practicing weak hand shooting and notice that my group were all to the right. I think its due to the rear site being to the right.

So is this normal to have 2 different impact points when freestyle/ strong hand and weak handed?

It takes a lot of practice to keep your dominate eye in the same position relative to the sights when switching form strong to weak and freestyle. My point of aim is the same at the same distances. And for the games I play the p.o.a. and the p.o.i are close enough for me. And it may be as splitime suggests you may be pushing, or pulling when using the unfamiliar grip. good luck later rdd

This topic came up at a club match a I shot last fall. At the classifier stage, two Master level shooters where talking about this tendency. One commented that the tendency for a right hand shooter shooting weak handed is to pull the shot low right. He said, I gave up working on technique and aim for the left shoulder (USPSA target). I pull my shots right into the A Zone. I tried it. It works for me. For now, I'll be a pragmatist rather than a purist.

If I get my .22 work practices in, then it is pretty close.

I tend to practice on a 4 inch plate rack. It takes no prisoners. It requires a lot of rounds down range to keep the POA and POI close for shooting weak or strong hand only.

However, in matches my weak hand does tend to the drift to the right so I index along the left A zone perf.

Most people I have seen cant their guns significantly, aim to the far left and are happy with low right.

It's all trigger control. You need to practice shooting weak and strong hand only. And when you practice this concentrate on pressing the trigger straight back to the rear. That is very important. And when you are pressing the trigger to the rear, press it nice and slow. That should help.

I found it to be a lot of the hands and having a good grip....I also shot left until i got a 60/40 "squeeze"

Weak hand is something that i can;t do if you put my muzzle on the taget.....it would still be a Mike.....lol

Edited by OffshoreMan72

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know whether its trigger control of follow through, both change slightly with only one hand on the gun. I've been aware of the phenomenon for years and simply aim on the A/C line,to the the right strong hand (I'm right handed) or the left weak hand. To confuse matters those strong hand shots sometimes land on the A/C line, but weak hand always hit the A zone if I do that.

P.D.

I found that the best way to get good at strong hand or weak hand shooting was to run several 200 round practice sessions within a fairly compressed time period (i.e. 1-2 weeks).

When you put in that much work, you learn what you need to see and do to make the hits. Work on one hand or the other, not both, while figuring this out. Don't neglect one-handed groups. Start close, then at the next session, after shooting groups at the same distance, walk back 3-5 yards. When you can reliably call your shot at 20-25 yards you're done.....

Then it comes down to incorporating maintenance drills into your practice regimen.....

I like Nik's approach. I did something very similar to it. It really helped me get it together. Like I posted earlier, I use a .22, 4 inch plate rack. Having a different POA does not work too well with such a small unforgiving target.

I used it yesterday after a layoff. It took about 30 - 40 rounds to get my act together, then I ran five plates in a row for eight strings.