Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New vs Old Sig Triggers

sam sanfilippo

Has anyone noticed that the older 226 and 220 triggers seem to be smoother than those on current production guns? Did they change something?

You might be noticing the difference in the mainsprings. The older models had a long mainspring, strut and an "L" shaped steel spring retainer. The current ones have a short spring and a plastic "wedge" retainer. The current style is really easy to change out mainsprings, the older ones were not. I also like this "old" feel, but with some practice on the "new" style it hasn't been as a pronounced for me.

The current hammers/sears also are being made of MIM which can be "gritty" when they have the parting line to wear on. I've had some bad ones and some decent ones (hit or miss). They all need a minimum of an action polish in my opinion.

Just my observations....

The triggers in the new stainless slide guns do seem a little different. I've owned a total of five SIG's over the past 17 years; W. German P228, P226, P220, US P226ST .40 and my latest one, a late production US made P226R 9mm. Triggers were better in the German guns. The overall feel seemed to be a little different, like better attention to detail. Little things like there's a ridge on the back of the grip of my P226 cause the grip panels do not line up exactly. Absolutely inexcusable for a $900 retail handgun. I can live with it for now cause I bought it second hand for a good price. I do miss the German made guns alot and should've never sold them.... oh well. young, dumb and full of .... :(

this last SIG I'm keeping. plopping in the Wolff 17lb mainspring made a huge difference with trigger pull and has so far been 100% reliable, though this is a range only gun. have the Dawson fiber optic front/Warren rear sights that are going on next.

Edited by blaster113

I've only got one German SIG, an X-5, but I have been very happy with my own two recent (2010 box date) standard US P226s and parts, including the trigger.

However, I worked over the sear and hammer on a friend's gun that was a disaster. The hammer hooks were rough and the sear was damaged from it. I was able to smooth out the hammer hooks but replaced the sear. Had to polish the replacement sear as well. Final product was a 3-1/2 lb pull using an 18 lb main spring.

So, yes, I would say there seems to be at least some variability in the parts used in the recent US guns.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

I have two Sigs an X-5 Allround and a USPSA Edition steel framed 226. Both guns have the short reset trigger, polished internals and 17 lb mainsprings. Double action trigger pull on both guns is right at 4 1/2 lbs and smooth. Single action trigger breaks a little under 2 lbs. Both guns have been extremely reliable since day one.