Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pain Management

TwoShot

My favorite local match is a monthly 6 stage event. The club has bays with crushed limestone on the ground. Between helping RO, scoring, taping, resetting steel and lastly shooting, I am hardly ever off my feet. By the end of the match my feet, knees and back hurt so bad and I'm so stiff it's getting to take the fun away. I'm 58 and have never been referred to as skinny, shall we say. I have tried different types of footwear to no avail, the pain starts in my toes of all places and moves up. I have taken Advil or Aleve after the match. What about trying Aleve an hour before? Any of you post 55 folks got any tips? Sitting down for 5-10 minutes tends to help the pain but that just doesn't happen often.

I take Ibuprofen before a match as an anti-inflammatory. Frankly, I really don't know if it works but the wife is an RN and that's what she calls it. ;) I take it for my back and hamstrings. Like I said I don't know if it works but that's what I do.

I also bring a chair, Cabelas makes a nice "directors" type chair that you can easily sit in with a gun. It is also very light and easy to haul around. Like you, I don't really need it in the am but in the afternoon I think it helps, I see a lot of guys "wilting" in the late afternoon sun.

Take a breather now and then. I don't think anybody is going to get after you for that.

I have a couple miles on my bod. I recently gave in to the idea of pain management, before it was the typical "Pain is weakness leaving the body" mindset, but I found I discovered more weakness leaving than usual after I hit 28 lol. While I got this information from my physician I would suggest asking for your own personal doctors input. The idea is that you can take anti inflammatory medicines prior to the pain to prolong the activity and reduce discomfort. Assuming you have a healthy liver and your internal chemistry is within spec you can take 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times per day not to exceed 2400mg/ 24 hour period. My initial reaction was holy shit that's alot, but my doc said it's fine to take. I would suggest trying closer to 400 to start and seeing where that gets you.

By the end of the match my feet, knees and back hurt so bad. I'm 58.

Sitting for 5 minutes helps but that doesn't happen often.

2shot, I have the same problem - here's what I've done:

1. start taking 1 minute sitting breaks while shooters

are shooting the COF. You need a chair (I use a

round fishing bucket loaded with my ammo/gear that

has a soft top. I sit while they shoot, then tape.

2. get into a diet of low carb, low fat - nothing drastic,

just start cutting out some of the fat, grease, butter,

ice cream, fried potatos; cut out most of the bad carbs

(simple carbs - replace them with complex carbs - whole

grains, etc).

3. Start some mild exercise, slowly. Best to start with

is walking. Start walking one mile a day, and work that

up to 2, then to 3 and then walk for one hour a day, with

at least a 40 minute walk, minimum.

Real easy approach - I'm 67, have a hernia - have the same

problem, but I shot Area 6 last year in one day - it killed

me, but I made it through in one Very Long Day (12 stages).

Obviously you can start a vigorous diet/exercise program

instead of the sensible, easy program I laid out - and that

would be better if you can stand it. But, at least start

doing some of this slowly - You'll feel Better & shooting

will be a Lot More Fun, again.

:cheers:

I take three Aleve an hour before a match. some days 4. Aleve can do a job on your stomach so be careful.

The other thing to do is add a couple tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar to your drinking water. It is a natural anti-inflammatory. Make sure it is organic with "Mothers" and not processed. Big difference. Once I got used to the taste, it wasn't bad and I now drink it daily.

Bring a spare pair of shoes and socks, wear cushioned socks.

Let younger people be the RO :goof:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Celebrex and Dilaudid for me.

Add alcohol afterwards to forget the pain.

This maybe out of line, but you are joking, right? :unsure:

Not entirely. I've been on prescription NSAIDs for nearly 6 years due to treating my body like a demolition site. The Celebrex is basically so I can move throughout the day and won't feel like killing someone.

Sometimes the Celebrex needs to be supplemented by an analgesic and given my relatively high pain threshold due to constant pain, weaker stuff doesn't touch it. I'm allergic to codeine, so all I get from its derivatives (i.e. oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc.) is a gnarly headache.

The alcohol was intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but when things have been particularly bad I've taken Dilaudid (and a muscle relaxant) with one of my margaritas (which are known to put mortals in the fetal position). Sometimes I'll take a nap afterwards.

To the OP's question: yes, absolutely get ahead of the pain before it crops up by getting anti-inflammatories in your system. Supplement them as needed throughout the day if you feel yourself getting more uncomfortable.

And don't treat your body like a demolition site.

As to fluids, I drink a quart of gatorade on the drive down. In cooler weather another quart of water during the match. In hot weather, I will drink near a gallon. Thank you for the suggestions and the insights. I think I will try Aleve before a solo practice session to see if it has and negative effects before I try it at a match. I know drugs affect people differently, don't want any dizziness or to feel any more dopey than is normal. Yes, the dopey part was said in jest! I think!

Celebrex and Dilaudid for me.

Add alcohol afterwards to forget the pain.

This maybe out of line, but you are joking, right? :unsure:

Not entirely. I've been on prescription NSAIDs for nearly 6 years due to treating my body like a demolition site. The Celebrex is basically so I can move throughout the day and won't feel like killing someone.

Sometimes the Celebrex needs to be supplemented by an analgesic and given my relatively high pain threshold due to constant pain, weaker stuff doesn't touch it. I'm allergic to codeine, so all I get from its derivatives (i.e. oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc.) is a gnarly headache.

The alcohol was intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but when things have been particularly bad I've taken Dilaudid (and a muscle relaxant) with one of my margaritas (which are known to put mortals in the fetal position). Sometimes I'll take a nap afterwards.

To the OP's question: yes, absolutely get ahead of the pain before it crops up by getting anti-inflammatories in your system. Supplement them as needed throughout the day if you feel yourself getting more uncomfortable.

And don't treat your body like a demolition site.

Dilaudid is a morphine derivative right?

I guess you know what you are doing but um...wow. I got a shot of dilaudid when my sciatic flared up and it was instant lala land.

To the OP. Have you had your sciatic checked out. If I stand for more than a little while my legs start feeling like I have been standing on concrete for an 8 hour shift. Feet, knees, hips, ass. They all hurt. I got an injection which helped a bunch but it is starting to wear off. I'm 52 and I think that is way too young to hampered by leg/joint pain.

Dilaudid is a morphine derivative right?

I guess you know what you are doing but um...wow. I got a shot of dilaudid when my sciatic flared up and it was instant lala land.

Yes, Dilaudid is a morphine derivative.

Huge difference between IV and pill forms. And a huge difference in dosages.

But, yeah, when I first started taking it it would make me somewhat loopy. Not so much anymore (and I don't take it all the time).

So, yes, I do know what I'm doing. :)

As to fluids, I drink a quart of gatorade on the drive down. In cooler weather another quart of water during the match. In hot weather, I will drink near a gallon. Thank you for the suggestions and the insights. I think I will try Aleve before a solo practice session to see if it has and negative effects before I try it at a match. I know drugs affect people differently, don't want any dizziness or to feel any more dopey than is normal. Yes, the dopey part was said in jest! I think!

On the hydration thing -- and this assumes that you're generally healthy -- you need to start several days before the match, if you're not incorporating extra water in your daily routine.....

That and mild stretching, both before, during and after the match help. Stretch at home, stretch again when you get out of the car on the range, during the match, and most especially before and after driving home. Continue stretching at home whenever you feel soreness coming back....

On the hydration thing -- and this assumes that you're generally healthy -- you need to start several days before the match, if you're not incorporating extra water in your daily routine.....

That and mild stretching, both before, during and after the match help. Stretch at home, stretch again when you get out of the car on the range, during the match, and most especially before and after driving home. Continue stretching at home whenever you feel soreness coming back....

+1. The Army preached pushing liquids 5 days before going on a hot weather field exercise or whatever. You can't just drink a gallon of water, pee clear, and think you are hydrated.

61 years old, neuropothy, bad back, bad knees and shoulder. Daily pain management 3200m Gabepentin, 60m Cymbalta and 4x8m Buprenorphine (narcotic). That is every day so I don't hurt. On match days I do not take the Buprenorphine until I have finished shooting. I cowboy up and shoot thru the pain. After shooting I catch up on the medds and usally get relief within an hour to hour and a half. Steel Challenge matches don't cause as much pain due to lack of movement.

This is just for me, but I tell myself that if I have to take narcotics before I shoot, I will quit 3-gun. So NSAIDs before, during and after. Icepacks (bring an ice chest) for the ride to and from. A chair during the match. If the match cannot survive an old guy sitting down every few minutes, then the match deserves to go away.

I just shot the Texas Multigun RO match, 12 stages in one day (bad weather forecast for Sunday) and made it through with max doses of ibuprofen with acetaminophen in between. Lots of water and Gatorade (about 3:1). Having enthusiastic young guys helped.

Lee

• 6 years later...

Wowwwww.......necropost!

To answer the original post, make sure your shoes fit. Lightweight hiking boots will probably work better on rocks than the trail running shoes I have worn the last few years. Some will have a metal shank for stiffness, but I am not sure that is a thing anymore

Since my last post in this thread in 2012, all hell broke loose. I learned new words, "Radiculopathy", "Spondylosis", "Facet arthropathy", and the treatments for them, which range from physical therapy (4 rounds over as many years), to epidural steroids, to radiofrequency ablation for the facet joints. And yes, good insurance helps.

I found lidocaine patches can help. The prescription ones are great but cost a fortune ($8 each in a box of 30), but over the counter, the Salon Pas brand seem to stick better and be more durable, though not as good as the Rx ones. Never used them on my feet, but lower back and shoulders benefit.