Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hunter frame accepts..?

houseofpain

Tanfoglio noob here, considering purchase of 10mm Hunter, but not unless it can double as .40S&W duty gun. from careful poring over the forum, i deduce that Hunter will "unofficially" accept Limited top end, but how about Match, which is more what i had in mind (hardier sights)? Others? don't need guesses, but testimony from those who've done it.

The Hunter frame will "Work" with any large frame slide assembly. EAA only sells large frame pistols so you shouldn't run into any issues with the Large verses Small frame situation. One thing that you need to look out for is the overall length of the slide. If you use the shorter 4.5 and smaller barrel slides the Hunter frame dust cover will protrude forward of the slide. You should be fine with using a Match or Limited slide on the Hunter frame and have the length of the slide match up with the dust cover.

houseofpain,

I shoot the rig you have described. My Limited 40 top end required no fitting, but was a little tighter than the 10mm or 45 Hunter slide assemblies. Reliability has been virtually perfect with well over 2,000 rounds. Your luck may be different.

One other way of doing it would be to purchase the 40 S&W 6 inch Match barrel and have that fit to the gun. Know a couple of people here in the great NW who have done that with a couple of them not needing any fitting at all. The spring that comes with the Hunter seems to work fine for those that use the 40 S&W barrel but they (and I) use a 18 or 20 lb springs for 10mm.

Respectfully,

JW

thanks for the reassurance guys. was a little more dubious of the Match slide meeting the hunter dust cover as Eaa's site lists LTD, Match bbls @ 4.75", but slide OALs @ 9" and 8.75" respectively. how's that? from your reassurances, i can only guess its due to a longer beavertail(?)

JW, i'm NW too, NW Montana to be exact. i guess bear country brings out the 10mm in all of us. hadn't thought this far ahead yet, but now you mention it, where did you source those stronger springs for the the "longslide" Hunter?

The Match Slide should fit in the Hunter. The past month, I've been shooting my Stock II slide in my Limited frame. Looks a little funky with the dust cover being longer than the slide, but it shoots amazingly well. :lol:

houseofpain,

Wolf Springs I bought the calibration pack plus a 20lb just in case. The first reason was to get the thing from throwing my brass further than the target (75 feet). Also found that it really changed the recoil dynamic and I think easier to control. There was also a rash of EAA 10mms at the time with cracked slides and the springs were thought to be a solution. Not sure if that was/is true, but the other two reasons are enough for me. Link to the page below:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/EAA/WITNESS%20SERIES%20/cID1/mID19/dID100

Hunter uses the Longslide springs. SKU is 13128 for the calibration pack.

Glad to see the 10mm making a comeback. As more use and reload the case, better loads will follow. Still working on a honest 200gr load to make 1300fps without pressure signs. Have come close but have not found a load with a extreme spread of under 50fps (my personal standard) and I am a lot happier if it half that.

Wish you well and hope your 10mm gives you as much good service as mine has.

10mmjunkie

The Match Slide should fit in the Hunter. The past month, I've been shooting my Stock II slide in my Limited frame. Looks a little funky with the dust cover being longer than the slide, but it shoots amazingly well. :lol:

OK! I opened the safe and got out the Hunter 10mm and a Match 38 Super top end. Fits like they built it that way. 38 Super slide fits flush with the Hunter frame. So it takes at least a 4.75" slide to play. The Hunter and Limited frame are the same except for color and magwell?

I've known for years that the Match & Hunter frames were both LF guns but the raised checkering on the grip of the Hunter frame always thru me off when looking at it compared to the Match frame. Realality is the Hunter/Limited just has a full length dust cover compared to Match.

This is no different than putting a compact slide on a Match frame. Da

Now if the Limited Conversion Slide would come in from EAA i'd be a happy camper!

Edited by david s