Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Table Top Targets Stage: Design Aids fromthe 90s

jmaass

In my 'Spring Cleaning', I found another 'Blast From The Past': a box full of Table Top Target pieces.

These were thick cardboard scale cut-outs of IPSC targets, Poppers, US Poppers, and steel plates with bases to support them, intended to allow someone to set up a stage during design. Before computer-based modeling software was widely available, this would allow the designer to study the stage before construction to eliminate problems with vision lines and shoot-throughs.

They were sold by Tom Walck in Carlisle PA in the early to mid-90s. I think my box has at least three full sets, although I cannot recall: may be four or more. I tried them out 'in the day', but didn't use them much, as it was quicker for me to design challenging courses in my head and on paper, and (later) using the software tools available to me. I still have several of the IPSC target cut-outs stuck to my walls around my house for old dry-fire practice sessions!

Anyone else remember these?

TableTopTargets_0125a.jpg

I want something like that, but when you're finished I want to be able to do a 3d scan of it and get it into my computer. I could lay out a stage with those faster than I can SketchUp, if I could then get it into my computer we'd have something. Eventually.

I want something like that, but when you're finished I want to be able to do a 3d scan of it and get it into my computer. I could lay out a stage with those faster than I can SketchUp, if I could then get it into my computer we'd have something. Eventually.

Set it up, take a digital picture and print it out. My wife would laugh her butt off if she saw me playing with paper doll targets. :D

The 'original' Sketchup ...

Nice table top pieces .. never seen them before .. and I have been around for a while ...

I have a few of those templates hidden away somewhere... I started using Powerpoint pretty early on in my course design "career", though.